Birthday Quotes and Sentiments to Write in a Card
Need Some Ideas for Your Birthday Wishes?
Here are ideas beyond "Happy Birthday" to use in signing a card, composing an email, or sending a message with flowers.
I have quotes and wishes organized and ready for easy access according to the type of sentiment you need. Whether you are looking for birthday wisdom, blessings, humor, or anything in between, you will find something here to make the happy day a little bit happier!
- "Our birthdays are feathers in the broad wing of time."—Jean Paul Richter
- "May you live all the days of your life."—Jonathan Swift
- "With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come."—William Shakespeare
- "It's not how old you are, but how you are old."—Marie Dressler
- "Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."—Chili Davis
- "You can't turn back the clock, but you can wind it up again."—Bonnie Prudden
- "No wise man ever wished to be younger." —Jonathan Swift
- "The older the fiddler, the sweeter the tune."—English Proverb
- "Age is strictly a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."—Jack Benny
- "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries, and you rejoice."—Cherokee Expression
- "It is better to wear out than to rust out."—Bishop Richard Cumberland
- "Youth has no age."—Pablo Picasso
Count your life by smiles, not tears,
Count your age by friends, not years.— John Lennon
- "I thank my God in all my remembrance of you." Philippians 1:3
- "The Lord bless you and keep you." Numbers 6:24
- "This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24
- Praying that your day is as special as you are.
- "Even to your old age and gray hairs, I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." Isaiah 46:4
Pleas'd to look forward,
pleas'd to look behind,
And count each birthday with a grateful mind.— Alexander Pope
- It's always nice to wish the best to someone who really is the best!
- Here's to celebrating you!
- Lots of people are thinking of you on your birthday;
I just wanted to let you know I'm one of them!
The most special thing about this card is the person holding it. Best wishes on your birthday, and throughout the coming year.
Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by deserting our ideals.
Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.— Samuel Ullman
Warm Wishes and Quotes
• "Fly free and happy beyond birthdays and across forever,
and we'll meet now and then when we wish,
in the midst of the one celebration that never can end."—Richard Bach
• "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."
• May your birthday bring you as much happiness as you give those who know you.
• "The secret to staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age."—Lucille Ball
• "Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest."—Father Larry Lorenzoni
• "As you get older, three things happen: The first is your memory goes, and I can't remember the other two."—Norman Wisdom
Romantic Birthday Messages
• "Grow old along with me! The best is yet to be, the last of life, for which the first was made."—Robert Browning
• "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." Wishing you a wonderfully sunny birthday!
• "Every birthday with you is a piece of cake."
• Special days like this certainly deserve a kiss. xoxo
• To the world, you may be one person, But to me, you are the world. Happy Birthday!
How to Personalize Someone Else's Words
We can't all put our feelings into words the way Shakespeare or Browning did. But I think reading quotes can give us those "ah ha" moments, when we think, "Yes, that's just what I want to say." When a quote captures your message, use it and add a personal touch. I love to do this by making my own cards. If you're limited by time or crafting ability, buy a pretty box of blank cards, print a quote typed on your computer, cut it out, and insert it inside the card with double-sided tape. Going to that little bit of extra effort means so much. I think you'll also find it saves you time and money, as opposed to making a trip to the store each time you need a birthday card.
These are from vintage ephemera:
"Tis fashionable, my dear,
to remember the day
but forget the year!"
"From my heart, this birthday greeting
Is the fondest I can send;
May happiness abide with you always
And good fortune be your friend."
We are one in love and joy,
In fondness and in worth,
And so as one we celebrate,
This day, your day of birth!
Thank you for your tender love
Of which you'll never really know,
How happy that you've made me,
And how much I love you so.