70+ Original and Creative Retirement Sayings for Cards
If you're looking for words to write inside a retirement card, you can be funny, serious, fluffy, or sarcastic. Here you'll find original sayings for each category. Things like, "So you're leaving the rat race . . . can you take a few more rats with you?"
Finding the right words to say when someone is retiring can be challenging, especially if they need to be written inside a card. Of course, it's easier to just get a ready-made card with the sentiment already expressed; however, perhaps that's just not personal enough.
- Going, going, gone . . . golfing!
- Retirement is the short form for 'Really Tired Mentally'!
- When you retire, can you leave all your knowledge behind?
- We are not glad to see you go, we are freaking out!
- We have done the math, and we figure it will take 10 people to do your job.
Comical sayings you can write in a card for the lucky soul heading into their next chapter of life:
- Retirement is how we get all that undone housework completed.
- Now you can carry around your cell phone without worrying it will ring.
- Retirement is like sleeping while awake . . . lucky you.
- Retirement means never having to plan anything except golf and bingo.
- When you doubt retirement, think about my alarm clock going off in the morning.
- Retirement means your accountant now has less work.
- We are all cynics, so we don't believe you're retiring.
- You never have to laugh at the bosses jokes anymore, just his face.
- Retiring is similar to hitting the stop button on a moving train . . . sudden and shocking!
- Retirement is when everything stops moving, including yourself.
- I thought you started your retirement 10 years ago . . . now it's official, I guess.
- You get to do exactly what you want now. Wait . . . nothing's changing?
- You can reorganize the garage every day for 25 years now.
- Sleeping in every day means you're either retired or extremely irresponsible!
- Your intelligence is directly equal to the number of years you've worked—you're a genius.
- Face it, you'll still be trying to stick your nose into what we're doing.
- Incompetence and frustration . . . two things you won't miss in retirement.
- Retiring is fun... if you add a 'D' and an 'S' (funds!).
- No money, no fun, no retirement!
- Yes, you are daring to see what's around the corner! O.K., that's a crock.
You can always write something cheerful that doesn't directly fall into the funny category:
- It's your time to forget all the worries of work and dance, dance, dance!
- A new world is just beginning for you, simply open your mind to the unknown.
- Don't plan anything anymore, just relax, live and enjoy your days.
- Use this time of your life to continue to learn and grow.
- This is the August of your life: enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.
- Time is now a user-friendly word.
- Your heart now has time to rekindle old flames, so go for it.
- While exploring new possibilities have a freaking blast!
- Remember to smile every day and that will double your retirement happiness.
- Retirement is the new second time around.
- You are now moving at a new pace . . . the pace of goodness and grace.
- Under the stars, laying on a beach, or just kicking up your feet—all your choice.
- Love and smiles bring you closer to who you are, so does retiring.
- Check your plans, check them twice, then hit the road and toss the rice. Hooray!
- No clocks, no suits, no meetings, no more.
- So whose your boss now? Smile while you give us the answer, please.
- Upon retirement, your garage becomes your new office. Enjoy!
- You are a ray of cheerfulness, and we will miss that around here.
- Why are all the good ones gone . . . gone . . . gone fishing?
- No more golfing to unwind, it's all for fun now!
Say something memorable and moving in a card:
- You have been an inspiration to all of us, and we will miss your wise words.
- The shoes you've left to be filled will never be filled. You are truly an original.
- Your heart and your smarts, they are truly unmatched.
- You earned that view from the top; now watch and enjoy.
- What you've accomplished with never be forgotten, thank you.
- This next stage of your life can be filled with adventures, take the leap.
- If you find a way to retire without leaving us, that would be best.
- Your contribution will always be respected, you're a first-class person.
- You've carved a path throughout your life, and only the best can walk it with you.
- Let the sand between your toes tickle your feet, you've earned that!
- It's hard to understand planning at 20, but you did; you're an example to all of us.
- The sun shines down on us during every stage of our life, no matter our age.
- Even during retirement we won't be surprised to hear you're still making a difference.
- We'll always remember who you are, and what you've done for so many of us.
- Opening a new chapter in life can be a huge adventure.
- We are only limited by our own thinking. Even at this stage in life, you can think big.
- If we call you for advice, you'll understand it's because you are the best at this job.
- It is written somewhere that 'awesome' is not allowed to retire.
- Without you it will be very difficult to get things done. Sure wish you were staying!
- Some people leave a huge imprint with the work they've done . . . that's you.
Words of Appreciation for a Retired Mom, Dad, or Other Family Member
Here are a few sayings that family members may choose to put in a card of appreciation to their retired parent, grandparent, or other relative:
- Dad, we think you deserve this retirement more than anyone else we know.
- Mom, we're looking forward to spending more time with you; thank you for all you did.
- Your hard work did not go unnoticed by us kids, and we're so lucky to call you Dad.
- You dedicated yourself to this family, now we want you to take some time for yourself.
- You've given us everything we've ever needed, and for that we are honored and grateful.
- Dad, we love you for caring for us so deeply every day of your life.
- You can retire proudly knowing that you've earned respect from your family and your coworkers.
- Your heart has carried this family, and your wisdom helped carry your business.
- They had you for the first half of life, we get you for the back half. Yeah!
- The beginning of your new story with us, Dad: 'And on the first day, he slept in.'
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Barbara Tremblay Cipak