Barbara has spent over forty years writing poems, lyrics, and sayings for cards.
Personalizing Your Message for the Happy Couple
Do you find yourself struggling to find just the right words to put in a card? Hectic, busy lives and being under pressure often interferes with our ability to think of something poignant and memorable to say.
Did you know that most couples will keep their wedding cards? So, inside their keepsake box are your eloquent words—potentially for a lifetime. As the years go by, they'll reflect upon their wedding, open up that memory box, and re-read the cards.
Knowing what you say matters, below you'll find a collection of original phrases and sayings written by me that you're free to use inside your card. The best place to start is to think of the personalities of the people you're dedicating your thought to; whether it be the bride, the groom, or both. Are they the serious type, reflective, or maybe they're characters. Start from this point, then choose words that will stand the test of time.
Use these words below as mere suggestions. Change them up if you want to, and genuinely make them your own—and in fifty years, maybe they'll be read again.
Inspirational Sayings About Love
Are you looking to say something inspirational? If so, here are some ideas you can write—feel free to use these as a base idea and add your own twist to them if you would rather:
- Put your artistry to work, and paint a beautiful life.
- May your lives always be a reflection of love.
- As you journey together, start each day with a smile and a hug.
- Hold on to each other through every joy and challenge you face.
- Life can be as easy as you decide to make it; live simply and love deeply.
- The secret to life is simple; be kind, help others, and love deeply.
- The gifts you share will never come wrapped.
- You have given each other the promise of love for life.
- It is the love stories in life that make living worth while.
- In the beginning love is everything, and in the end love is what lives on.
- Although we grow and change with time, love remains constant.
- When your arms are open and your heart is open, then your life is open to love.
- When you put love on a pedestal, it always shines.
- You will fall in love many times during your marriage—over and over with each other.
- When two people become one, they stay one by remembering they are two.
- Your gift to each other is your promise and your love.
- If you start your morning with love, and end your day with love, you'll be happy.
- Do things together, and stay friends, and you'll have love in your marriage.
- Marriage is not complicated, the answer is to love with every ounce of your being.
- Your marriage represents the unification of your souls.
Funny Things You Can Write for the Bride and Groom
Don't write things like this unless the couple has a serious sense of humor!
If the bride and groom are a couple of clowns, and even if they're not, you can write something in their card that's memorable because it's humorous. Here are some suggestions:
- So, you decided to wed; I bought you a survival kit.
- Marriage is like being lost in the desert; you can get so exhausted you'll see a mirage!
- Marriage is draining; thank gawd we get to go to work everyday!
- After your wedding day, you may go into shock!
- Two peas in a pod, trapped inside the pod forever!
- You're about to pass go, and collect a heck of a lot more than $200!
- Love brought you here, this contract will keep you here!
- Don't think that life will get easier—Ok think it, it's better than reality!
- Being in love is like a road, sometimes you swerve off—so learn how to drive!
- You are the sum of where you are today; well at least you have each other!
- Diamonds make the world go round - ok they don't, but gheesh your rock is awesome
- If I were you, I would have an oxygen tank installed in your master bedroom
- We are hoping you have a great life 'cause the alternative sucks!
- Sing and dance as much as you can; it will protect you from reality!
- Dream it then live it—just don't blog about it!!
- Do not upload any pictures to Facebook when you're drinking on your honeymoon!
- There are two rules about marriage: Separate email and bank accounts.
- Share everything from here on in, except the razor.
- Don't forget and always remember, you are happy today!
- When life gets tough, take boxing lessons!
A House and a Home: Vinyl Wall Lettering Quote for the Couple
Write a lovely note inside the card for the couple, then quote this phrase, and attach it as a gift. The words are very true "only love can make a home, and marriage is work," and there are times when we don't know whether we'll get through the tests, however, with love at the core, anything is possible. Most importantly, marriage is a team sport and both have to be in the game—look for that quote (by me) below.
Advice You Can Write in the Card
For those who have been married a very long time, and have experienced a successful marriage, their advice is often asked for and appreciated. If you're one of these people, and you feel it's appropriate for the couple, you could offer your own tips for a successful marriage. Here are some ideas listed below; feel free to tweak them to suit your own needs:
- During times of turmoil, be nice, not hurtful, and you'll be surprised how fast you can get through life issues.
- Don't hold back, love with all your heart; say 'I love you' in many different ways, every single day—This little thing, can be the glue that keeps you together for a lifetime.
- It's easy to walk away, it's a lot harder to stay and work things out, so always remember the vows you take on your wedding day.
- A vow is a promise, remember that's what you're doing today—you are making a promise for life.
- If you treat each other as you would treat a best friend, then mutual respect will always find its way into your conversations and actions.
- Approaching your day with the beautiful thought, '"what can I do for you today," is the best way to keep love alive.
- It's the culmination of a million little kindnesses that make a marriage successful; always remember to do something small and thoughtful for the other person everyday of your lives.
- A smile makes a big difference when you give it to a stranger, so remember it makes the same big difference when you give one to each other - smile at each other everyday.
- Flirt with each other; do it frequently. A shoulder rub, an arm around a back, a friendly squeeze, a physical joke—all of these little things make the other person remember why they love you, and of course, why you love them.
- When you're not in the mood, find a way to be nice, or to say something nice— that usually shocks the other person!
Happy and Cheerful Things You Can Write in Their Wedding Card
You may just want to say something light to the Bride and Groom - Something cheerful, filled with a bit of joy! Here are a few ideas:
- Look for joy in the smallest things—you'll find them there waiting to be noticed!
- If you remember to laugh at something everyday, you'll always remember how to laugh.
- Finding joy doesn't have to be like a treasure hunt—look in the obvious places, it will be there.
- Loving each other can be so much fun! do it like kids do it... be silly, silly, silly.
- Your number one purpose in life should be ..."to be happy"—everything else will fall into place after that!
- If he makes you laugh, you are one lucky girl!
- Don't take anything for granted, especially happiness—when you feel it, embrace it, and don't let go of it!
- Your heart was meant to be happy, peaceful and filled with purpose—embrace these as goals as you build your life together!
- You don't need a reason to smile, or to laugh, just do it - people may think you're a little nuts, but that's part of the fun!
- Laughter, hugs, and smiles—three things that don't cost a dime, so give as much as you can to each other!
© 2013 Barbara Tremblay Cipak
Are You Married? Any Advice for a Couple About to Take the Plunge?
Sandy Mertens from Frozen Tundra on July 07, 2014:
My daughter became engaged not too long ago. This should come in handy.
Jim Houston from Wilmer, Alabama on March 17, 2014:
Yes I am happily married and I would tell any potential couple to slow down and do a lot of self analysis before going forword. There are so many things to consider on both sides including your history.
writerkath on March 16, 2014:
I'm very happily married, and the only bit of advice John & I offer about marriage is to get married only when you can't think of any reason NOT to. :)
Im2keys on March 14, 2014:
such a sweet lens, I've been married 24 years now- not always easy but my advice is to remember why you chose your mate in the beginning, and have lots of date nites :o)
Fay Favored from USA on February 26, 2014:
A lovely idea. Sometimes it is difficult finding the right thing to say. Very helpful sayings. Wish they were in a printable form.
Deborah Carr from Orange County, California on January 31, 2014:
This lens was a great idea, because we all struggle with choosing the right words. Thank you so much!
Marie on January 28, 2014:
What a beautiful lens and so very useful for when wondering what wording to use in a card - this is something I often struggle with and I could use it for all kinds of cards through the year :)
myspace9 on January 28, 2014:
Married for 26 years, nice lens
GrammieOlivia on January 24, 2014:
Married for 40+ years, and he's still my best friend!
DebW07 on January 24, 2014:
I think Aretha Franklin sang it best; R-E-S-P-E-C-T! Great lens, I love the funny quotes!
Eugene Samuel Monaco from Lakewood New York on January 24, 2014:
Become Friends For Life.
David Stone from New York City on January 19, 2014:
Yes. Be yourself. Respect each other. Done.