Blake Flannery is a son and a father. He enjoys helping others find the right words to express their wishes and feelings.
Need Help Writing a Card?
Most cards come with some sort of message, but sometimes you want to say something more. Or, you may be making your own card and need some inspiration on what to write.
Writing in a card is fun for some people, but knowing what to write can be challenging. Use the following ideas from different categories to give you an idea of what you write. Just seeing a sample will help get the juices flowing!
Four Tips for a Great Message
- Don't worry too much about what you write. It's the thought that counts most.
- Consider your audience and your occasion. Use your best judgment. For example, write a funny message in congratulatory cards. Don't try to be funny in sympathy cards.
- Keep your message concise. Nobody will want to read a book. It's a greeting card.
- Put money or a gift card in the card! An almost guaranteed way to make someone like your card is to make something fall out of it when they open it.
Engagement, Wedding Showers, and Wedding Sample Messages
Use these ideas to model your wedding wish.
- "We are really excited for you. Congratulations!"
- "We wish you a honeymoon that never ends. Congratulations on your marriage!"
- "Congratulations to you two. Marriage is an adventure that God leads."
- "I can't think of a more fun couple. Congratulations on your engagement."
- "Congratulations on the start of your 'happily ever after.'"
Additional Wedding Card Resources
- 50 Congratulations Messages and Wishes for an Engagement
Engagement wishes convey congratulations to a couple who just decided to tie the knot. A heartfelt personalized message in a card, email, or social media post is something they will treasure forever.
- What to Write in a Wedding Card
These are examples of what to say in a wedding congratulations card. Wish the newlyweds you know a happy marriage and say congratulations in a fun way.
- What to Write on a Wedding Shower Card
The words you write on a bridal shower card should be heartfelt and meaningful because they will be cherished for many years to come.
Sample Anniversary Messages
These are some ideas for what to write inside an anniversary card.
- "Each year surprises me again that I could be even more in love with you."
- "You have been better than any blessing I could have asked for from God. Thanks for being my spouse, playmate, and support."
- "Congratulations! Your anniversary is an inspiration of the power of love and something we can all aspire to."
- "Our love keeps getting more beautiful each year that passes, just like you."
- "I'd rather waste time with you more than anyone else in the world. Our anniversary proves that we're good at wasting time together."
Additional Anniversary Card Resources
- Belated Anniversary Messages: Wishes for a Late Card
Here are examples of what to write in a belated anniversary card. Belated anniversary card messages are about apologizing with tact. These examples include funny, sincere, and poetic wishes.
- Anniversary Wishes to Write in a Card
Unfortunately, sometimes it can be difficult to come up with words to express yourself in a greeting card message. Some cards may be more difficult to write such as sympathy card message, but anniversary card messages are difficult because of the...
Sample Pregnancy, Showers, and Birth Wishes
Try these to help celebrate the expected birth or the birth of a new baby.
- "As your life changes forever, may it be forever changed for the better."
- "Congratulations on your new creative development. We're looking forward to meeting the little guy."
- "Babies are a blessing that will challenge, entertain, and cost you more than you could imagine."
- "What uncertainties you may feel today will result in overwhelming feelings of wonder, amazement, and love. Congratulations on your pregnancy."
- "A baby is a gift from above that keeps on giving for many years to come."
Read More From Holidappy
Additional Baby Wishes Resources
- What to Write in a Card for a Newborn Baby Girl
Sometimes it can take hours to find just the right words to write in a baby shower card. To help, here's a guide you can refer to.
- Sample Thank You Notes for Baby Clothing
Are you having trouble deciding what to write on baby shower thank-you cards? These sample notes might help you write your own letters.
- Baby Congratulations Card Wishes
When I had my baby recently, I had all kinds of cards given to me to say congratulations. I had really meaningful things written to me as well as some funny inside joke comments. One of the most fun cards I got was a giant card that was about two...
Sample Birthday Messages
Aging another year is a blessing and an invitation for jokes. The nice thing about birthdays is that there are many different directions you can take your message.
- "I hope your birthday continues with an entire year's worth of fun."
- "Happy birthday to one of the nicest people I know. Your birth has been a blessing to those around you."
- "Age doesn't matter, maturity does, and in your case, you're still a teenager."
- "Have the kind of birthday that you only have energy for once a year. Party hard!"
- "Have an amazing and fun birthday. I know you deserve a great one."
Additional Birthday Wording Resources
- 70+ Different Sayings You Can Write in a Birthday Card
Here you'll find messages for your friends, lovers, or acquaintances. From funny sentiments and quips, to heartfelt and sincere declarations of love, we've got you covered.
- Belated Birthday Messages: Funny and Sincere Wishes to Write in a Card
Use these belated birthday card messages to smooth over any hard feelings someone might harbor toward you for forgetting their big day. Most of these examples are humorous, but a few are sincere (in case you really messed up big-time).
- Birthday Messages and Quotes to Write in a Card | Holidappy
These are more than 90 examples of things to write in a birthday card. Let these birthday messages, wishes, and quotes help you figure out what to write. Some are funny and others sincere.
Get Well Soon Sample Messages
Can't be there in person to take care of a sick loved one? Take the opportunity to send a message in a card as a text version of chicken noodle soup.
- "I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you get feeling better very soon."
- "Things just aren't the same with you out of commission. I want you to get well soon."
- "If you need anything, let me know, and I'll be there. Expect me to be checking in on you regularly."
- "Did you know that I'm sick too? I'm sick of you being sick."
- "I don't know what to say to make you feel better. If there were a magic word, I would say it."
Additional Get Well Soon Resources
- How to Write Get-Well-Soon Messages and Wishes After Surgery
Here are a few ideas of what to write in a "get well soon" card for someone who's had a knee, heart, hip replacement, cancer, or foot surgery. Use these messages to wish your loved ones a quick and speedy recovery!
- Get Well Soon Messages for a Sick Friend, Partner, or Coworker
Here's a collection of get well soon messages for your boyfriend or girlfriend, husband or wife, mom, or dad—for anyone and everyone.
- Get Well Soon Messages to Write in a Card
These are examples, instructions, and tools to help you write your get well card messages. You can comfort or entertain with the perfect words to help them get well soon.
Halloween Card Messages
These are some cool ideas to write in a Halloween card. Funny messages work well for this holiday, but you can also use quotes or sayings.
- Candy is the reason for this season!
- Who wants a treat? This guy!
- Don't forget to watch your Reese's cups. Parents have been known to steal them right from their own kids.
- Aren't you a little old to be trick or treating? People might offer you their wallet when you show up at the door.
- It's nice to have one day when ugly people can get compliments. Happy Halloween!
Additional Halloween Card Resources
- Halloween Messages, Jokes, and Poems to Write in a Card
These Halloween card messages are so funny it's scary. Use these to delight your friends this Halloween whether you write in a card or use social media to wish them a Happy Halloween.
- How to Make a Flying Skull Halloween Card
A handmade Halloween card is fun to make. Draw a skull that fits your mood and put wings on it. The flying skull is a version of the flying heart.
Christmas Card Examples
The holidays are a time to stay in touch with friends and family who you don't get to see regularly. For that reason, we usually send out Christmas cards to give an update on our family.
- "What a wonderful time of year it is to keep in touch with good friends. Merry Christmas."
- "We are hoping that you are blessed this holiday season."
- "Happy holidays from our family to yours!"
- "Merry Christmas! May you know that you are loved this Christmas."
- "Let's celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus!"
- "Wishing you a low-stress Holiday and a relaxing New Year!"
- "It only comes once a year. It's our Christmas card to you!"
Additional Christmas Card Resources
- Christmas Poems, Verses, and One-Liners to Write in a Card
This article includes a selection of Christmas poems, Bible verses, and one-liners that you can write in a card, send in a text, or share via social media with family and friends.
- DIY Christmas Card Ideas
This Christmas, instead of sending ready-made cards to your loved ones, why don’t you create some handmade cards that can be passed down from generation to generation?
- Short Christmas Quotes and Sayings for Holiday Cards
Short, sweet Christmas quotes can add cheer and sentiment to your seasonal Holiday cards. I put together this handy Christmas quotation resource page to help you find the words you need to add meaning to your message.
Example Retirement Card Messages
As someone retires, multiple emotions may be present. In this case, keep the message positive. Don't worry, though. Funny wishes work just fine.
- "As you embark on your new journey into retirement, don't forget to keep working just as hard. Only now, you get to be the boss. Have fun!"
- "If I wanted to say congratulations on your retirement, I should have years ago. I haven't seen you really work hard in years." (Funny Retirement Message)
- "Congratulations on earning the rest of your life for the rest of your life." (Double Meaning Retirement Message)
- "We'll miss you here at work, but you deserve all the best. Congratulations on your retirement!"
- "Don't have too much fun doing anything you want anytime you want."
Additional Retirement Wishes Resources
- 70+ Original and Creative Retirement Sayings for Cards
Need to write something in a retirement card? Need a snarky retirement message to send by text? Either way, here you go: 72 original sayings and more.
- Retirement Messages for Teachers and Mentors (With Funny Quotes)
Get some examples of messages to write in a retirement card for a teacher or mentor. This article includes both meaningful messages and funny quotes that you could add to a note for a retiree.
- Retirement Messages to Write in a Card
These are more than 30 examples of what to write in retirement cards or say in a speech honoring a retiree. Be funny, inspirational, or nostalgic.
Sample Sympathy Messages
Sympathy cards are possibly the most difficult to write. Try to be very intentional with your words and let the recipient know that they have your support.
- "You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am sorry for your loss."
- "I am sorry for your loss, and I will be praying for you to have peace and strength during this difficult time."
- "I would like to support you during this time by calling you to check on you. Expect me to call you this Saturday and invite you to hang out."
- "Words seem inadequate for the deep sympathy I feel for you at this time. I am sorry."
- "If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. Expect me to check to see how you are doing in the coming weeks."
Additional Sympathy Card Resources
- 50+ Messages of Sympathy: What to Say When Someone Dies
Trying to figure out what to write in a sympathy card? Condolence card messages are difficult to write, but you can find ideas here for words of sympathy to show your condolences to your friend, relative, or loved one.
- What to Say in a Sympathy Card
If you have ever lost a loved one, you know how much kind words can mean. A well written sympathy card is one of the best ways to offer support.
- What to Say in a Sympathy Card
Knowing what to say in a sympathy card can be difficult, but it is a wonderful way to express your condolences and to provide comforting messages to the person or people in need.
New Guestbook Comments
Neetu on April 27, 2020:
सभी करेड़ा स्टाफ को सूचित किया जाता है कि उच्चाधिकारियों के आदेशानुसार जागते रहो WhatsApp देखते रहो नींद आने लगे तो सो जाओ ।
Thandolwethu on April 15, 2018:
Everything in my mind must happen and I must be mbalil