100 Reflection Questions to Help Guide Your New Year's Resolutions
New Year's Eve Questions to Ask Yourself or Friends
The commencement of a new year is a great opportunity to redesign certain parts of your life. Our lives don't come with roadmaps, so it's easy to just meander instead of heading in a particular direction or toward a specific goal. Why not make this next year your best year yet? Don't meander—take charge!
Below are 100 questions to help you think about what you want to prioritize as you enter the new year. Once you know what is important to you, you can begin to orient your life toward specific goals. A good way to start is by answering some of these questions with short phrases or a few words. If at any time you would like to go into more depth in your answer, feel free to do so.
How to Use These Questions for a New Year's Party
If you are hosting or attending a holiday party this New Year's Eve, you can print out these questions and cut each one out separately. Next, put them into a hat and have guests take turns picking out and answering one question each.
Top 10 Questions to Answer
- What would you try if you knew you could not fail?
- What would you like to be your biggest triumph by the end of the year?
- What advice would you like to give yourself as you begin the New Year?
- What would you be most happy about completing?
- What major indulgence are you willing to experience?
- What would you most like to change about yourself?
- What do you think your biggest risk will be?
- What brings you the most joy and how are you going to do more of that?
- What is one change you could make to your lifestyle that would give you more peace?
- At the end of the year, how would you like your life to be transformed?
10 Questions About Your Relationships
- What important relationship would you like to improve the most this year?
- How would you like to positively influence the life of a child this year?
- How can you deeply improve your relationship with yourself this year?
- Who or what, other than yourself, are you most committed to loving and serving?
- Who are three people you would like to spend more time with?
- If your relationships were ideal, what’s one thing that would be different about you?
- Who in your life should be acknowledged more?
- In what ways are you willing to communicate better with others?
- How would others benefit from you taking better care of yourself?
- Is there any relationship in your life that would benefit from forgiveness?
10 Questions About Your Health
- What new type of exercise would you like to try this year?
- What types of food would you like to incorporate more of into your diet?
- Is there a health appointment that you have been putting off that would you like to make?
- What preventive health measures would you like to incorporate into your daily living?
- What activities would you like to add to your routine to help you manage your stress this year?
- In what ways would you like to model a healthy lifestyle?
- Who is someone that can encourage you in your health endeavors?
- If your self-worth was not measured by a number on a scale, how would you live?
- What body part needs more attention and loving care?
- What would you be willing to try outside of your comfort zone to increase your health?
10 Questions About Your Entertainment
- What book would you like to read by the end of the year?
- What music or art class would you consider taking this year?
- In what ways could you journal, write, or express yourself?
- What musical artist would you like to see live in concert this year?
- What play would you like to see this year?
- How would you like your style to be different this year?
- How would you like your hairstyle to change this year?
- How would you like to spend your free time?
- In what ways would you be willing to bring more enjoyment into your life?
- Who are three people you would like to have more fun with?
10 Questions About Having Fun
- What’s one way you could have more fun in your life?
- Where would you like to go on vacation this year?
- What gift would you like to give yourself this year?
- What gift would you like to give someone else this year?
- How would you like to celebrate your birthday this year?
- How would you like to celebrate the holidays this year?
- How would you like to celebrate your goals being met?
- If you could throw a "themed" party for yourself, what would the theme be?
- If you could throw a surprise party for someone, who would it be and why?
- Is there a vacation spot you've been dying to go to?
10 Questions About Your Finances
- What’s one thing that you could do to give yourself more peace financially?
- What major effort are you willing to make to improve your financial situation?
- What realistic amount of money would you like to have saved by the end of the year?
- What debt do you hope to have paid off by the end of the year?
- How would you feel if you knew you had life insurance?
- What is a major purchase you would like to make for yourself this year?
- If your self-worth was not measured by a number in your bank account, how would you feel?
- Imagine you could ask for a raise and it would be granted—what amount of money do you feel your work is worth?
- What financial risk are you willing to take this year?
- What charity, church, or non-profit would you like to support?
10 Questions About School or Work
- What would your ideal career be if you could do anything?
- What is one undeveloped talent you are willing to explore?
- What do you want to learn more of?
- How can you get the information you need to advance in your endeavors?
- What is your life really about? What is your purpose?
- What would you most like to be acknowledged for so far in your life?
- What risk are you willing to take this year?
- If you knew you couldn't fail, what would you do?
- If the title of your job did not determine your self-worth, what would you be doing?
- How would you like to bring more joy into your work or education?
10 Questions About Your Spiritual Life
- How would you like your relationship with religion or spirituality to be?
- What miracle would you like to happen this year?
- What is a loving service you would like to offer this year?
- What piece of unfinished business would you like to bring to a close this year?
- What would you like your impact on your community to be?
- How can you change your current habitat to fully support who you’re becoming?
- Where and how can you support your spiritual growth?
- If you were not scared, what would you do?
- What are you pretending not to know? What truth do you need to know?
- If your life were exclusively oriented toward your values, what would that be like?
10 Questions About Your Time
- Who would you like to spend most of your time with?
- What time-waster are you willing to let go of?
- How would you know if you were managing your time better?
- If you had one more hour during the day, what would you do with it?
- What have you been procrastinating on that you would like to complete?
- What is your favorite thing to do and how can you make more time to do it?
- What important person in your life needs more of your time?
- How can you redesign your mornings to begin your days better?
- How can you add 15 minutes of joy to each day?
- How can you redesign your evenings to bring more rest to your nights?
How to Keep a Resolution
10 Fill-in-the-Blank Questions
- I want to repeat. . .
- I want to lose. . .
- I want to gain. . .
- I want to enjoy. . .
- I want to savor. . .
- I need more. . .
- I can succeed by. . .
- My helpers are. . .
- I will succeed in. . .
- I need to say that. . .
Which statement best describes your feelings about the next year?
© 2012 Carly Sullens