20 Special Things to Do for Mother's Day or Her Birthday
Celebrating Mother's Day
Mother's Day only comes once a year, so we must make the most of it by showing our mothers how much they mean to us.
To tell you the truth, I wrote this article because I was so inspired by a video I watched about a mother's love for her blind child. Truly, her story touched and warmed my heart. It is rare to see a mother so patient and so brave. I salute this super mom!
Anyway, here are 20 things we can do this Mother's Day to show these wonderful women how much we appreciate and care for them (of course, you may also do these on her birthday—it is equally as special).
20 Ways to Celebrate Your Mom
These are my personal suggestions and ideas. I've already tried several of them. However, please note that you don't need to do every single item listed here; you may choose as many or as few as fit your needs. But, if you can do them all, why not, right? I'm sure your mother would appreciate all your effort very much.
- Greet Her With Sincerity: It's as simple as that. All you need to do is make it very sincere. Mothers appreciate even the simplest things on Earth, as long as it comes from you (sincerely and genuinely).
- Give Her a Greeting Card: No matter how cliché this may be, giving moms a greeting card will surely make them smile. It is even better if you will be the one to craft your own from start to finish.
- Give Her a "Mom Report Card": Humor your mother by giving her a report card showing that she got As in loving you, cooking the food, gardening, etc. She will definitely love the idea!
- Give Her Flowers: Almost every girl appreciates flowers because the act of giving a bouquet itself is so sweet. You can show your love to your mom by giving her flowers that match her personality. Or, if you know your mom's favorite, give her that instead.
- Write a Song for Her: You don't need to be an expert song writer to do this, just scribble some words from your heart and create a tune for it. Your mother will surely appreciate all the effort. And you'll make her proud!
- Sing Her a Song: This works well with number 5, but if you weren't able to write any, try singing your mother's favorite song. You may sing "A Song for Mama" by Boyz II Men, for instance.
- Do the Household Chores for Her: Houses can take a lot of upkeep. So why not relieve your mom's chore load a bit by doing some chores for her? She will definitely appreciate it!
- Cook for Her: Does your mom usually do most of the cooking? Why not make it the other way around on this special day? Cook her a unique yet delicious meal or perhaps her favorite dish. She'll be definitely be full (of happiness) afterwards.
- Treat Her to a Fancy Restaurant: If you don't know how to cook, you may opt to treat her to a fancy restaurant. She would definitely like to try out something new. Oh, be sure to make some reservations for this. This will also give her a reason to get her fancy dresses out.
- Give Her a Lovely Cake: Be it Mother's Day or a simple birthday celebration, giving her a cake would mean a lot to her—a lovely cake for your lovely mom. You'll be able to show her your sweetness with this. It will be much better if you will be the one to bake it yourself, and no matter how sloppy it may look, she will definitely thank you for it.
- Write Her a Poem: A poem dedicated to her will surely make your mom feel so special. Say how much you love her through a beautiful poem, and she will be the happiest mom on earth! Acrostic poems are pretty easy. Write her a sonnet if you feel like a challenge.
- Create a Video for Her: Surprise your mom with a video! You may either dance, sing, or do anything she would appreciate. Also, include a part where you dedicate a message to her.
- Reminisce Your Childhood Memories With Her: Ask your mom to browse some baby pictures of you together. Having you is one of the unforgettable moment your mother had, so definitely she will love to do this as she reminisce the past.
- Buy the Things on Her Wish List: If you have some extra cash to spend, why not buy her things on her wish list? She may be truly longing for these items, but hasn't had the opportunity to buy them for herself. Giving these as gifts will surely brighten up her day.
- Buy Her a Book From Her Favorite Author: Buying a book from her favorite author would mean a lot to her. It means that you know her very well and pay attention to what she likes. With this, she will definitely be happy.
- Publicly Say How Much You Love Your Mother: Okay, so this may be difficult to do, but think of the things she's endured for you. Publicly telling your mom how much you love her tells her that you are proud to have her in your life. Alternatively, you can tweet or post on Facebook how much you love her and tag her. This would be the modern equivalent of saying "I love you" to her in public.
- Teach Her a New Dance: Let your mom enjoy a current fad! Teach her how to Dougie or to do the Gangnam Style dance, and you will make the day unforgettable for her! Also, you'll make her appreciate things we love today. It's like providing your mom with the latest updates.
- Spend a Day With Her: Spend a day with her, and she will treasure the moment. There's not necessarily any cash-spending required, just your presence. You might just watch movies and catch up all day, or you might spend some money and take her out on the town, treating her to whatever she likes. Either way, this would mean a LOT to her! You show her how important she is to you. A lot of us forger that the best gift to her is ourselves.
- Gather the Entire Family for Her: Has it been a while since the whole family was together? Make an effort to bring all your siblings together and celebrate Mother's Day! Do that, and you are going to have the happiest mom in the world.
- Apologize, and Give Her a Warm, Tender Hug and Kiss: If you are not on very good terms with your mom, this is the time to do it! Reconcile with her, and give her a warm, tender hug and kiss. If you're able to do this, and she will likely never ever forget that day!
- Surprise Decorate the House: This one was a recommendation by a reader. Put some decorations up at home and a "Happy Birthday or Happy Mother's Day" banner while your mom is sleeping or away.
Are you on good terms with your mom?
Mom is an overused word
You need something, you call on mom
You lost something, you call on mom
You want something, you call on mom
You misplaced something, you call on mom
But that’s not the end,
You can’t cook your food, you call on mom
You can’t iron your clothes, you call on mom
You can’t make your bed, you call on mom
You can’t fix your things, you call on mom
But mom is not just a word—it’s more than that.
She is a wonderful being created by God
She is a loving, caring, and selfless woman
Yet she is also strong, enduring, and forgiving
Mom is the epitome of unconditional love
Because mom is not just someone, she’s the one…
The one who carried us for nine months and gave us life
The one who stayed up all night to tend on our needs
The one who nurtured us in giving the best life possible
The one who taught us the 123s and the ABCs
But that is not all, she also the one…
The one who kisses our pain away when we are bruised
The one who accepts us even when we go against the rules
The one who forgives us even when we make mistakes
And the one who loves us even when we fail a lot of times
So what I really want to say is that,
God is so good to give me a mom like you
And I feel so much loved to be your daughter/son
I hope you were able to enjoy all these things I listed. Share your mother's reaction here, and I'll be happy to read them!
To every mom, happy Mother's Day, and may you enjoy this day especially made for you!
To my mom, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! Thanks for everything, and you're the best!