5 Fun Halloween Activities for Children
Fun Halloween Activities for Kids
As Halloween approaches, you may be wondering what kind of creative and playful activities are out there for your children. Believe me when I say there is so much more to Halloween than just trick-or-treating and dressing up in costumes. Get the kids excited for the upcoming holiday with fun crafts, spooky treats, special family trips, and Halloween-themed family nights.
To spice up this year's Halloween celebration, get a little creative and find some playful activities for your kids to enjoy. To help get you started, here are 5 fun Halloween activities that our kids love to do during the month of October:
- Make Egg Carton Spiders
- Make and Eat Monster Mouths
- Paint Pumpkins
- Visit a Pumpkin Patch
- Hold a Halloween-Themed Family Night
Halloween Crafts for Kids: Egg Carton Spiders
A fun way to start celebrating Halloween is with an easy-to-make craft for your kids. Last year, my boys had a great time making these spooky egg carton spiders. When you are finished, hang these spiders on a fake spiderweb to make a fun decoration to scare all those trick-or-treaters on Halloween night. Here is a list of supplies and step-by-step directions for how to make this craft:
- Egg carton
- Black paint
- Wiggly eyes
- Black pipe cleaners
- Cut the egg carton into separate egg shells and trim edges of shell with a pair of scissors.
- Paint the individual eggshell black and allow time for the paint to dry.
- After paint has dried, poke 4 holes on each side with a toothpick to make the leg holes.
- Insert 4 black pipe cleaners and shape the spider legs by bending up and down.
- Glue on a pair of wiggly eyes to finish your egg carton spider.
Halloween Treats for Kids: Monster Mouths
Another great way to celebrate Halloween is by making spooky treats to eat. A fun snack that my kids love is one that we have named monster mouths. They are super easy to make—and, for once, you won't mind that your kids are playing with their food. Here is a list of ingredients and directions on how to make these playful snacks:
Peanut butter or marshmallow creme
Small food items for teeth such as broken pretzels, raisins, corn nuts, peanuts, or candy corn
- Cut the apple into thin slices.
- Spread peanut butter or marshmallow creme on one side of an apple slice.
- Arrange small food items on the peanut butter or marshmallow creme to look like teeth.
- Top with another apple slice and enjoy your monster mouth!
Halloween Activity for Kids: Painting Pumpkins
Even though there are many people that love to carve pumpkins, I am one mother that despises this grueling task. The boys always promise to help me, scoop a couple of spoons full of pumpkin out, and then somehow I am left all by myself with four pumpkins to carve. A couple of years ago, my mother had the genius idea of just letting the boys paint pumpkins at her house. Needless to say, we have been painting our pumpkins ever since. Here is a list of supplies to paint a pumpkin:
Stencils (if desired)
Now, you can take one of two approaches to painting your pumpkins:
- You can let them go wild and paint whatever they desire.
- You can use stencils to draw on the pumpkins and have them paint the drawn-on face.
I personally let my boys go wild, so we have some very colorful pumpkins on the front porch for all of our guests to admire. Either route you choose to go, it is so much easier than carving them, and your kids will love creating their very own pumpkin!
Halloween Family Activity: Visit a Pumpkin Patch
A great Halloween activity for the whole family is to visit a pumpkin patch. If you have never been to a pumpkin patch before, you may be thinking, "What in the world is so fun about a field full of pumpkins?" Well, I am here to tell you that these farms have come a long way and have added so many fun attractions for kids to ensure a whole day full of family fun.
Over the years, we have visited two of the most popular pumpkin patches in our area—Grandaddy's Farm and Lucky Ladd Farms. We had so much fun and plan to visit both again this year. Here is a list of some of the attractions you might see at your local pumpkin patch:
- Family hayrides
- Large playground
- Hay maze
- Petting zoo
- Super slides
- Corn box
You can start your pumpkin patch visit with a family hayride into the pumpkin fields where you get to pick your own pumpkin. Next, try to find your way through the hay maze or feel like a kid again and fly down the super slides. Don't forget to stop by the playground area and try out the corn box (sandbox filled with corn) or just drop in to feed the animals at the petting zoo. Whatever your pleasure, the pumpkin patch is a good time for all ages.
Halloween-Themed Family Night Ideas
The fifth creative activity for children is to plan a Halloween-themed family night. These are special family activities that you can plan right at home. Use your imagination and set the whole night up with different events that your whole family will enjoy. Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Spooky Supper: Serve Halloween-inspired foods for dinner. Go for either a black and orange theme or come up with creepy names for each kind of food you serve.
- Monster Mash Dance-off: Buy a Halloween music CD or download some spooky tunes for a family dance party.
- Costume Contest: Have everyone dress in costumes for the evening. Award treat bags or special prizes for the most creative costume, the scariest costume, the cutest costume, etc.
- Scary Movie Marathon: Buy or rent a few scary movies for the family to watch. If you have little ones, find an age-appropriate Halloween cartoon that they will enjoy.
How to Celebrate Halloween with Kids
Halloween has always been a holiday that is meant to be fun and playful for children. This is why it is so important to find fun activities that the whole family can enjoy together to fully get into the holiday spirit. Not only will your kids love all the good times that these activities will provide, you will also be making some spooky Halloween memories that will last a lifetime.
I hope you have been able to find some fun Halloween activities for your children. How do you celebrate the holiday? Do you have any other creative Halloween activities that your kids enjoy? Feel free to share your ideas and any other comments in the section provided below. Happy Halloween to all!