7 "Game of Thrones" Halloween Costume Ideas
Game of Thrones Halloween Costumes
Game of Thrones is full of great Halloween costume ideas. I recognized that fact when I watched the very first episode of this TV series based on the fantasy books by George R.R. Martin. If you haven't tuned into the show or picked up the books, it's a must! You will find this show is full of wonderfully colorful and unique characters, many of which you might enjoy dressing up as this year for Halloween.
There are many characters you can choose from, but I've highlighted the best ideas to help you make costumes for seven of my favorite players in the Game. You can create some homemade costumes easily and inexpensively or you can buy your costume from any number of the online Halloween costume catalogs available.
In this article, you will find helpful costume-making tips plus the names of some costume stores where you can find costumes, wigs, and other accessories to help ensure Halloween costume fun! You will find lots of couples costume ideas from the Game of Thrones.
The clothing ideas for this cast of characters come from many cultures, including Persian, Japanese, Renaissance, Inuit, and more. You can mix and match many different ideas to create these wonderful costumes.
My Gavorite Game of Thrones Characters Are:
- Eddard "Ned" Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Husband to Catelyn
- Catelyn Stark, Lady of Winterfell and Wife of Ned
- Khal Drogo, Husband to Khaleesi, Leader of the Dothraki people
- Daenerys Targaryen, "Khaleesi" Wife of Drago, Queen of the Dothraki people
- Jon Snow and the Men of the Night's Watch
- Cersei Lannister, the Evil Queen
- Jamie Lannister, the Kingslayer
The best thing about choosing a costume based on Game of Thrones is the number of choices you have. The ones listed above are just the beginning. If you watch the show or have read the book series, you will find some easy costume ideas here.
1. How to Make an Eddard "Ned" Stark Costume
If you plan on a Game of Thrones costume this Halloween, Ned is a fairly simple outfit to make yourself. Ned is married to Catelyn Stark and together they have five children. Each of the children (Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon) present other good costume ideas.
Ned also has another son, Jon Snow, who is a member of the Night's Watch. See how to make a Night's Watch costume further down this page.
To make a Ned Stark costume, use dark colors, ideally dark brown leather. You'll need a tunic style top, pants, tall leather boots, a fur cloak, and a sword with a belt and scabbard. That's not too difficult now, is it?
It's an easy peasy costume for a man and makes a great couples costume idea when combined with Catelyn Stark. The Starks live in the north country and it's a cold place, so they dress in warm outfits.
- A big cloak with plenty of fur around the shoulders (you can put this together with fake fur and a large swath of cloth).
- Ned wears tunic-style armor with a split skirt that hangs down to protect his thighs. This is very common among the men of Westeros.
- Ned's sword, Ice, is huge, and its size is what makes it recognizable. Instead of getting a little kids' plastic costume sword, put together something yourself out of cardboard or wood and spray paint.
2. How to Make a Catelyn Stark Costume
Catelyn Stark is the wife of Ned and the mother of five of his children. She is a fierce, resilient woman who struggles to protect her family despite some terrifying situations.
A Catelyn Stark costume is another easy one to make yourself. Her clothing is usually dark and plain. It's a long skirt, a blouse and a (usually fur-trimmed) cloak. Her hair is usually worn in a half ponytail or up in a bun and her makeup is plain. Although she is a lady, she doesn't lead a life of luxury. Her home is in Winterfell, but she travels often throughout the series.
Renaissance-style skirts, dresses and blouses are your best bet when you are making a Catelyn costume. Keep it simple with a long skirt and blouse or dress and a long overdress or coat with belled sleeves. You can find accessories and outfits in stores and you can even find some costume patterns to make these fun ideas.
I can't figure out why there aren't any licensed costumes for the Game of Thrones characters, but they are easy enough to create using old clothing, thrift store finds and some store-bought or homemade accessories.
3. How to Make a Khal Drogo Costume
Khal Drogo is a sexy man's Halloween costume, and if you look half as good as Jason Momoa does, this is the costume for you. As the ruler of the Dothraki people, Khal Drogo is a strong and confident man. He is brave, strong, great with weapons, an excellent horseman and he is very much in love with his wife, Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen. Drogo is a very tall man. He wears his long dark hair in a braid, as is the Dothraki custom.
To make your own Drogo costume, you will need brown slacks, a huge leather belt (or several), a waist chain made up of huge medallions, some leather wrist cuffs, and a pair of tall leather boots.
You'll also draw big blue claws from your shoulders down across your chest. It's a shirtless costume, but I think you could add a leather vest too. Khal Drogo's beard has two elastic bands in it. It's a unique look that will make this costume instantly recognizable.
Here is a great tutorial to get Khal Drogo's makeup, facial scarring, and claw marks.
4. How to Make a Daenerys Targaryen Costume
Daenerys Targaryen begins the series as a pawn in her brother's struggle for power. A very young Daenerys is sold into marriage to the brutal Dothraki leader, Khal Drogo. Daenerys is a beautiful silver girl. Her hair is waist-length and silver-blonde. Her skin is pale as snow.
Dany doesn't want to marry Khal, but she learns the ways of the Dothraki and finds them to be fair, brutal sometimes, but fair. She comes to realize that Drogo is a brave, honest, and good man and she falls in love with him. She becomes a true queen to the Dothraki.
Dany goes through several style transformations as she travels throughout the series. You can find an excellent description of her various styles at the Game of Thrones Wiki. She dresses in beautiful Greek-style clothing before her marriage, and afterward, she starts to dress in the leather outfits of the Dothraki.
A flowing, strappy dress with a sweetheart neckline will make a good early Daenerys, while a short shirt, leather trousers, brown gloves, and plenty of belts around your waist and hips will make a wonderful costume if you want to dress up as "Khaleesi".
Eventually, she adopts styles of other regions of Essos, such as Qarth. It's wonderful to watch the transformation in the series as Dany grows from a young girl to Khaleesi, queen of the Dothraki.
Options for a Daenerys Costume:
- Early Daenerys: The white, gauzy gown she wears when "presented" to Khal Drogo, or her strappy off-white wedding gown. Hair down.
- Khaleesi: Dothraki riding leathers. A leather or brown burlap crop top and leather trousers with a gaudy belt. Hair in heavy, elaborate braids.
- Queen of Slaver's Bay: In most of Season 4, Daenerys wears an iconic blue riding gown over leather pants. Her hair is partially pulled back into braids.
- Dragons or dragon eggs!
- A bloody heart and bloody hands to reference the iconic scene in which she eats a fresh horse heart.
- Find a long white or white-blond wig.
What name will your character go by?
- Daenerys Stormborn
- The Unburnt
- Bride of Fire
- Mother of Dragons
- Mother Mysha
- The Silver Queen
- Silver Lady
- Child of Three
Khaleesi And Drogo
"My Sun and Stars" and "The Moon of My Life" is what Khal Drogo and Khaleesi Daenerys Targaryen call each other.
5. How to Make a Jon Snow Costume (or be a Man of the Night's Watch)
The Night's Watch is a group of soldiers, often ex-criminals, who guard the northern border of Westeros from the Wildlings and the White Walkers. Their land is cold and desolate.
Because of their all-black outfits, the watchmen are known beyond the wall as "crows." Whenever you see any of the members of the Night's Watch, they are in heavy fur-trimmed black coats, big black boots, cloaks and each of them carries a sword. Jon Snow is the son of Lord Eddard "Ned" Stark and he becomes a member of the Night's Watch.
Look in your closet or your attic and see if you've got an old, dark winter coat. Add a bit of faux fur trim to it, get some dark boots or black boot covers, a dark scarf or use some of the extra faux fur as a cloak and then make a sword out of cardboard and paint it with silver paint or give it a wood finish. After all, the Night's Watch is in a frigid territory and the swords might not all be made of metal.
- Find a piece of obsidian or a black knife. Obsidian (known in Westeros as Dragonglass) is the only weapon that can kill White Walkers. Sam and Jon both carry obsidian knives.
- Get a stuffed white dog to use as Jon's dire wolf, Ghost.
- Couples costume: get a friend or girlfriend to dress up as Ygritte, Jon's Wildling lover.
6. How to Make a Queen Cersei Costume
Queen Cersei is the evil queen in this series, so if you want to dress up as the bad girl this Halloween, Cersei is the character for you. Cersei is usually dressed in a Renaissance gown with her hair meticulously fixed.
As the queen, she's basically the fashion icon for all of Westeros (at least until Queen Margaery comes along). She has great jewelry, great hair and she is great looking, to boot.
This look can be made at home using a long skirt, a blouse, a tie front vest, and a crown. If you have old Renaissance costume in the attic somewhere and that would make this dress up idea easy as can be. If you have the skills you can also make a gown yourself from a sheet. Here's how you do it:
- Get a cheap jersey-knit top sheet from a department store. Jersey knit is stretchy and very forgiving when it comes to beginner sewing.
- Chose a stretchy dress you already own and that looks good on you and use it as a pattern. You'll need something with a low neckline.
- Trace the front and back of dress onto the sheet, giving yourself about an inch of extra room on all sides for the seams.
- For the Cersei gown, you'll need to the dress to be floor length with drooping, Renaissance-style sleeves. Alter one of the tracings to add the extra length and sleeve shapes, then trace that onto the other tracing so the front and back of the dress match.
- Cut out the tracings and use a sewing machine (the machine isn't necessary but saves a lot of time) to sew up the sides of the dress. Make sure to leave the neck hole, the bottom, and the ends of the sleeves (with a half-inch to spare on either side for hemming.) You're sewing a dress, not a bag!
- Hem the neckline, skirt, and sleeves. Add a gold rope or ribbon as a sash and use plenty of jewelry. You can even use gold fabric paint or sharpie to draw a lion of Lannister on the bodice.
After the death of the king, Cersei starts to wear mainly the Lannister colors red and gold. Make sure to keep these colors prominent, though she also occasionally wears green to bring out her eyes. Add a crown, a blonde wig, and plenty of gold jewelry.
7. How to Make a Jaime Lannister Costume
A great couples companion costume for Queen Cersei would be her twin brother, lover and father of her children, Jaime Lannister. Alternately evil and good, Jaime is a complicated character: twin brother to Cersei, older brother of Tyrion, father, lover, kingslayer, knight, and a man who loves to fight.
Game of Thrones tells us that Jaime has an incestuous relationship with Cersei and is, in fact, father to her three children, Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen.
Jaime's costume would be of a warrior fighter, a knight. He's a handsome devil and would look great in a Renaissance man's costume. You can make a Renaissance man's period costume using a long tunic, pants, high boots, and a loose shirt, perhaps one that ties up the front. You can also dress Jaime in knight's armor.
- Sword: Jaime is renowned for his swordsmanship and always has a sword in his hand. If you're playing later-season Jaime, who has lost his right hand, carry the sword in your left hand and keep your right one hidden.
- White cloak: as a member of the Kingsguard, Jaime wears a white cloak over his armor and often wears white clothing as well.
Clothes on Film: Game of Thrones
This video gives us a lot of insight into the costume designs for the show. It talks about the clothing materials we see in the series: furs, armor, silks, leather, and styles from different parts of the world: the European medieval-style peasant outfits, tribal influences, Asian and Grecian styles.
- Winterfell's northern location is cold. The inhabitants wear dark colors, shades of grays and browns. They are fully clad and wear fur to keep warm. Their style is one we recognize as European medieval.
- In King's Landing, the video tells us, there is more of a Persian influence with linens and silk clothes of red and tans. Softer clothes and fabrics are found on the inhabitants of King's Landing.
- The Wall, now there's a bleak look. The black armor is described as following samurai style in origin. They use dark colors to represent the darkness of this desolate area.
- In the Free City of Pentos, where Daenerys and her brother Viserys live, we see Dany in the Grecian style dresses we so love on her.
- The Dothraki show us a tribal influence. They don't need much in the way of clothing or possessions, as they are a nomadic people. The Dothraki styles are fashioned after the ancient Huns and Mongols.
Interview with the "Game of Thrones" Costume Designer
More GoT Costume Ideas
Osha is a popular character from The Game Of Thrones. Osha is a Wildling who escaped from north of the Wall because things that used to sleep under the ice were no longer sleeping. She was captured by Robb Stark and now takes care of Bran Stark. She tricked Theon Greyjoy and helped Bran and Rickon to escape with Hodor. The Wildings have a very ragged and wild look. This would be a pretty easy costume to make.
Brienne of Tarth: Tall girls will have a blast recreating Brienne's costume. You will need knight's armor, for Brienne is a warrior of the House of Tarth. She swears her sword to Catelyn Stark and is given the task of returning Jaime Lannister to King's Landing. Catelyn wants Brienne to exchange Jaime for her two daughters, Arya and Sansa.
(Game of Thrones) G.o.T Characters Makeup Transformations The Night King
Arya Stark Make-Up
© 2012 HalloweenRecipes