I'm a San Francisco-based freelance writer and blogger with nearly ten years of writing experience behind me.
Mother’s Day is coming up in just a few days. If you still haven’t gotten a gift for your mother, then you may be panicking about what to give her. The truth of the matter is that no matter how old you get, you’ll always be your mother’s kid. What does that mean? It means that your mom is going to be happy to get anything that you make for her by hand just like she did when you were in kindergarten. Because of that, it’s better to save your money and stop looking for the perfect gift. Instead, you should give her something that comes from the heart. Even those people who are not great writers will find that they can probably give their mom a great Mother’s Day gift using just a pen and paper.
Here are seven ideas of things that you could write for your mom for Mother’s Day this year:
- A poem. It really doesn’t matter how bad you are at writing poetry. Your mom is going to think it’s cute that you made the effort to write her a poem. The sappier, the better, when it comes to most moms, although you’ll want to adjust your level of sappiness to what you know about your own mom. The idea is just to express in a short series of lines what it is that you appreciate about your mom. The best poems will describe her and the little things that you love about her. It can rhyme, it can be a haiku or it can just be several sentences. Mom will be so surprised that you did this that she’ll love it even before she reads it.
- A love letter. We always think of love letters as romantic things that we have to give to spouses and significant others but the truth of the matter is that they can be written for anyone that we love. Sit down with a piece of paper and really pour your heart out in telling your mom why you love her so much. Let her know what you remember from the past that has stayed with you and what you’re thankful for about her today. Write it on nice stationary and seal it in a pretty envelope. Your mom won’t want anything else for Mother’s Day.
- A shared journal. One of the things that can really bring two people close together is to share a journal. One person starts the journal and then passes it along to the other person who adds to it and then passes it back. Simply buy a blank journal and make that first entry then give it to your mother as a gift for Mother’s Day. This is a great gift for siblings to give to their mom together since all of you can write in it and pass it among the entire family. You can write about memories, dreams, thoughts, or anything that you wish you said more often to your mom.
- A list. If you don’t fancy yourself as the writing type then you can probably at least muster up the courage to write a list. After all, everyone can do that. Ideas of lists that you might make for your mom include a list of all her great traits that you hope you’ve inherited, a list of the best memories that you have shared with her or a list of things that you’d like for the two of you to do in the upcoming year. A simple list written on a nice piece of paper can go a lot further than you might think.
- A book of quotes. If you can’t quite find the words that you want to say from your own mind then maybe you would prefer to borrow the words of other writers. There are many, many quotations out there about mothers. Search around online to find the quotes that really resonate with you. Copy them carefully into a small journal and decorate the journal to give to your mother. The words may not be your own but they’ll send the right message to your mom for Mother’s Day.
- A Mother’s Day card. There’s nothing wrong with sticking to the traditional. Even if you can’t afford to get your mother a gift for the holiday this year, you can certainly afford to get her a Mother’s Day card. Make the card from scratch if you want to do something really special. Or simply include a heartfelt message that tells her why you wanted to write something for her in the first place.
- A message on a cake. If even the idea of writing out a card is a bit much for you to consider then maybe what you’d like to do is to send your mom a simple “I love you” message. You can bake a homemade cake for her and write that message on it in icing. This means that you’ll be giving her a handmade gift that she will know was crafted with love. Similar options include embroidering the message onto a pillow or blowing up a favorite photo and writing it on the bottom.
These are just seven options that you might consider which will allow you to express your feelings for your mom in writing to give her a great gift this holiday season. There are many other creative things that you can write for your mom and none of them require you to take a lot of time or to spend a lot of money. All that you need to do is to consider what it is that you want to tell her and figure out the best form to say it in. Believe me, your mom is going to remember a gift of words far longer than she’s going to appreciate anything that you might think about buying for her this year.
Johnf837 on May 07, 2014:
Well I really enjoyed reading it. This information procured by you is very practical for correct planning. ckbffefkdcbf
lauren on May 12, 2013:
thanks for the tip
jade on January 20, 2013:
Tamera on June 05, 2012:
This really helped me shout out to everyone this page is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!
PROPHET OF GODDESS on March 14, 2012:
The oldest crowned spell caster by the goddess who cast spells designed to surround you with positive energies,rid you of negative energies and draw towards you prosperity,love,peace....giving you the life you deserve or choose to live. Prophet of goddess as he prefers to be called is an expert at complex and urgent situations be it love,happiness,money and so much more. With every spell, I first cast a free purifying cleansing spell,more commonly known as a curse removal spell,which will help remove any negativity swiftly that might prevent your spell from working. E mail me today at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit my website at www.prophetofgoddess.com for a better life.
sandra on November 30, 2011:
i love your tips thanks a spans
marOOoo on May 27, 2011:
Sylvia Van Velzer from Hawaii on May 02, 2011:
My mom is gone, but, why can't i write her? Thanks for the idea. I always gave my mom cards and gifts, but don't think i ever wrote her a love letter. I have to share this with friends. Happy mom's day!
JACK on April 16, 2011:
Becca on March 31, 2011:
Great idea THANK YOU
yummy on February 16, 2011:
i love it, so so so cool i bet every mom would love that. i relly relly relly relly relly like A LOT
love me to on February 16, 2011:
LOL I LOVE IT SO MUCH. Awsome
Iceangel on December 23, 2010:
I like this so very much.Sure i know what to give my mom on the next mother's day celebration.All thanks to you.
Spider Girl from the Web on April 30, 2010:
Writing message on the cake is a nice idea, thanks!
angelica on April 28, 2010:
that is good one but short
Fierce Manson from Atlanta on April 28, 2010:
Great ideas, and creative thanks for sharing.
tyson on April 16, 2010:
dear mom happy mothers day
love from Tyson
ale on April 14, 2010:
a wordle page
katie on March 23, 2010:
thanks for the help
Jersey Jess from USA on December 23, 2009:
Wonderful Hub! A book of quotes and a message on a cake seem to be my favorites. Thanks for posting.
Choke Frantic from Newcastle, Australia on May 08, 2009:
Thanks for the ideas.
cashmere from India on May 07, 2009:
Even a good long chat with her is well worth the time on Mother's Day.
BerksBess on May 06, 2009:
Why not write her a tribute on how she inspired you to find the true meaning of Mother's Day. My mom called it a Hallmark Holiday, but when I researched the roots of Mother's Day I found it was all about peace, and I can think of no better way to celebrate it than helping improve the lives of less fortunate moms & kids. Here's how I'm honoring my mom: http://bit.ly/h8B4P
ladyvenus on May 06, 2009:
oh what a nice idea. Thank you.
Triplet Mom from West Coast on May 06, 2009:
Wonderful things to do for your mother! Thanks for the ideas.