Dieties and Celebrities Born or Celebrated on December 25th
Deities Born on Christmas Day
- Jesus: The Christian holiday of Christmas is celebrated on December 25 each year and is the official celebration of the birthday of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. However, He may actually have been born in March, according to some archaeologists and anthropologists. The church is said, by some authorities, to have placed the celebration of Christ's historic inception on December 25th in order to overshadow the festival of another divine birth in Rome, the leadership of which wanted to destroy Christ.
- Mithras: On December 25th, the old Roman feast day of Saturnalia was used to honor of the birth of the sun god, Mithras. In the book Mystery Religions in the Ancient World, its author, Professor Joscelyn Godwin describes an abundance of similarities between the births of Mithras and Christ. For example, both were born on December 25, visited by shepherds, held a Last Supper, and returned to Heaven. This similarity was taken by the church as a satanic mockery of Christ the Messiah.
Cab Calloway - Minnie The Moocher
Other Celebrities - Personal Favorites
The following individuals born on Christmas Day are not deities per se, although many have been named at the top of their professions and worshiped by fans. The following is not the total list of well known people born on December 25, but it contains may of my favorites. Add additional names in the Comments!
- 1642 - Sir Isaac Newton - The Mathematician that realized the existence of gravity.
- 1652 - Archibald Pitcairne - Scottish physician.
- 1907 - Cab (Cabell) Calloway - Calloway was an innovative, dancing, scatting Zoot-Suited bandleader, singer, and motion picture star. In the 1990s, his grandsons formed the group Calloway. I have a copy of the first film Cab Calloway made and I watch it from time to time. It is called Minnie the Moocher, named after one of his trademark songs. With a good sense of humor, he appeared in the film The Blues Brothers with John Belushi, Dan Ackroyd, and Ray Charles, and revisited his Big Band Days with the same number and white suit.
- 1924 Rod Serling - Writer and creator of The Twilight Zone. This television show changed TV and science fiction history. It also featured dozens of future stars like William Shatner.
- 1932 "Little Richard" Penniman -This entertaining rock and roll singer began performing before the Beatles were formed.
The First Twilight Zone Intro
Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum
Famous December 25th Births From 1757 - Present
- 1757 - Benjamin Pierce - Governor of New Hampshire and father of US President Franklin Pierce.
- 1865 - Evangeline Booth - 4th General of The Salvation Army
- 1870 - Helena Rubinstein - Born in Poland, she became the American Cosmetics brand name and a master industrialist through the 1960s to her death. Her makeup has been sold everywhere and advertised in magazines and on television.
- 1876 - Muhammad Ali Jinnah. The founder of Pakistan.
- 1878 - Louis Chevrolet - This gentleman was born in Switzerland and became well known as a race car driver. A car company brand in America was named in his honor - Chevrolet.
- 1887 - Conrad Hilton - Founder of Hilton Hotels.
- 1893 - Robert Ripley - Published Ripley's Believe It or Not Books and newspaper comic page entries; founded a museum of oddities and a related television show.
- 1899 - Humphrey Bogart - World famous actor.
- 1821 - Clara Barton - Founder of the American Red Cross and a famous nurse.
- 1908 - Quentin Crisp - Well known Brithish author.
- 1918 - Anwar el-Sadat - President of Egypt.
- 1919 - Paul David - A French Canadian physician and cardiologist, he started the Montreal Heart Institute.
- 1925 - Carlos Castaneda - Well known writer of spiritual and mystic books.
- 1937 - O'Kelly Isley - A famous part of the Isley Brothers singing group.
- 1945 - Rick Berman A noted producer for the Star Trek franchise. (See the video clip below of 2009's Star Trek XI)
- 1945 - Gary Sandy - Comedian and actor; i.e., WKRP In Cincinnati.
- 1946 - Larry Csonka - Ohioan and American football star for the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants.
- 1946 - Jimmy Buffett - songwriter/singer.
- 1948 - Barbara Mandrell - Country singer with the Mandrell Sisters and solo.
Moravian Star: Life Size Nativity
1950 and Sooner Birth Years
- 1950 - Karl Rove - Former advisor to President George W. Bush.
- 1952 - CCH Pounder - Actress. Carol Christine Hilaria Pounder starred in Bagdad Cafe with Whoppi Goldberg and was featured in Hill Street Blues, The West Wing, and many other productions. She also is a founder of Artists for a New South Africa.
- 1954 - Annie Lennox - Scottish singer/songwriter and Academy Award Winner. Her "Into the West" from the film The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King won not only The Academy Award, but also the Golden Globe and the Grammy.
- 1959 - Michael P. Anderson - American NASA astronaut. Sadly, he was lost when Space Shuttle Columbia disintigrated over Texas upon re-entry in early February 2003. The loss of him and the entire crew of the Columbia brought international attention to the need for effective methods of space shuttle repair during orbit. After his death, he was awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor, the NASA Space Flight Medal, the NASA Distinguished Service Medal, and the Defense Distinguished Service Medal.
- 1968 - Jim Dowd - American ice hockey player.
- 1971 - Noel Hogan - Member of the Cranberries, an Irish musical group. Guitarist and song writer.
- 1975 - Hideki Okajima -- Boston Red Sox left hander; appeared in the 2007 All Star Game.
- 1988 - Sui the Dog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Steve Irwin's best pet.
Jesus Christ Of Nazareth was probably born in either September or March. The debate is ongoing.
Questions & Answers
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS