Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
Christmas Card Messages (What to Write in a Christmas Card)
Christmas cards say something about their senders. Many families send out cards to bring cheer to their friends. Businesses send holiday messages to show customers and employees their appreciation. Christmas and holiday cards are always a great way to stay in touch with friends, relatives, acquaintances, and loved ones as the year comes to a close.
While composing a thoughtful message for a holiday card sounds simple, many of us have trouble figuring out the right things to say in practice. Use the examples and recommendations on this page to get ideas, then mix and adapt them into meaningful messages for the people in your life. Feel free to edit these to your taste before jotting them down in your cards. Remember: The more personal you make your message, the more impact it will have on the recipient!
May you be blessed with the most important gifts this Christmas. I consider friendship to be a gift, and your friendship is one of my most treasured gifts. Merry Christmas!
Example Christmas Wishes
- Christmas is a good excuse to send cards to all my favorite people.
- Wishing you a wonderful Christmas and happy holidays.
- May we all show each other the love and patience that we may not deserve this Christmas. That is the true spirit of Christmas.
- It's easy to get caught up in all the business of Christmas, but I'm wishing you a peaceful Christmas full of the most important things.
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! May you be surrounded by all the things that bring Christmas cheer.
- I hope you are reminded of all the most important things in your life this Christmas. Merry Christmas!
- We hope you are surrounded by beauty and comfort this Christmas season.
- Blessings, love, and peace to you this Christmas.
- Hoping you can feel love, joy, and peace this Christmas season.
- The beauty of the Christmas season is that it can remind us of all the beauty in life that we take for granted: our family, our friends, and our faith.
- Keep Christmas a time of celebration and love. Don't let Christmas become a chore. Don't let Christmas bring strife to your home.
Short and Sweet Christmas Messages
- Have a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
- Wishing you all the best that a holiday could offer.
- Peace, joy, and love to you and your family.
- May your Christmas season be filled with joy and light!
- Hope your stocking is stuffed full of joy this year.
- Sending you glad tidings this holiday season.
- Thinking of you this Christmas. “Yule” be on my mind.
- I hope your holiday season is so bright that you need sunglasses!
- I hope this special time of year is filled with joy!
- I’d send you peace, love, and joy in an envelope if I could.
- God bless you this holiday season—Merry Christmas!
Funny Christmas Jokes and Sayings
If you enjoy humor, chances are the people you know will too. The weeks leading up to Christmas tend to be busy, hectic, and even stressful. Lighten the mood with a funny Christmas card.
- The NSA has tapped everyone's phone this Christmas including Santa Claus himself, and it turns out Jesus is the only one who isn't on the naughty list.
- Just think how bright Jesus' birthday cake would be if he had a candle for each year since his birth. Good thing he recently switched to LED candles.
- There are at least three people wishing you a Merry Christmas. There's Jesus, Santa, and ME!
- There's usually only one person I can remember to buy a birthday card for each year. His name is Jesus.
- I don't usually write Christmas cards, but when I do, I usually write the same thing in all of them.
- I'm writing a unique and personal message in each of my Christmas cards this year. So for you, I'd like to say: 'Whomever you are, Merry Christmas to my friend/family person who is really special.'
- The best thing about Christmas is the day after Christmas, when you still have almost a year until you have to see your annoying extended family members again.
- If I had to choose between you and Santa, I'd choose you. I still think it's a little creepy that that guy comes in my house while I'm sleeping.
- All I want for Christmas is for you to have a crazy cool Christmas!
- When people ask me to prove that Santa is real, I ask them to prove to me that he isn't.
- I would write something funny to wish you a Merry Christmas, but there are some things that you just don't joke about.
- I hope your December 25th is splendid this year. If you have an awful day on December 27th, that's alright. It's really just the 25th I care about.
Christmas Messages for Friends
- Friends like you are as magical as Christmas spirit and as rare as Santa sightings.
- Your presence is the best Christmas present I could receive.
- Holidays are so much more special when they are celebrated with important friends like you.
- Wishing one of my most dearest and special friends a Merry Christmas and an amazing New Year!
- Friend! I hope your Christmas is full of love and eggnog and laughter and cookies!
- Your friendship is the best present Santa could have ever given me.
- This year I have been so grateful for your friendship—thank you for being such a wonderful part of my life.
- I hope Santa brings you lots of awesome goodies. He already brought me the best one—a great friend!
- I hope you have an excellent Christmas full of love and life—the two things you have given me.
- As the year ends, I’m reminded of how much your friendship has meant to me. Thank you so much for being a great friend.
- I wish my family was as fun as you—hope you have a great time with your kin and hope to see you in the New Year!
- You are such a fantastic friend! I hope Santa recognizes that and rewards you handsomely. If he doesn’t, I will!
- Wishing you a very happy holiday season full of abundant joy and peace.
- I am so thankful for having you as such a special and unique friend—I hope your holiday season is just as awesome as you are.
- Even more than Christmas decorations, friends are what really light up my life. You brighten my day today and every other day of the year as well.
- I hope your life is filled with joy and happiness, both during the holiday season and for the rest of the year.
- I hope your holiday season is filled with laughter, silliness, and many fond memories. Looking forward to spending another year in friendship with you.
- May your holiday season be full of presence of mind as you focus on the true gift of life.
Christmas Wishes for Family
- You can’t choose your family, but even if you could, I’d still choose you. Merry Christmas! Looking forward to spending some time with you.
- I’m so grateful to have been blessed with the best family on earth! I love you so much.
- Santa couldn’t have gotten me a better family. The best part is this gift just keeps on getting bigger and better.
- I’m so thankful to have been blessed with such a wonderful family with which to celebrate this meaningful time of year.
- At the center of the busyness of this season is love, which is also at the center of our family.
- I love and miss you so much. I hope I’ll be able to come home next year for Christmas to give you a hug in person. This card is the best I can do this year.
- It makes me so happy to think of you this time of year and remember all of our special memories from the past years. I’m grateful for an amazing family.
- As I grow up, the meaning of Christmas continues to deepen as I keep discovering the true nature of love, joy, and peace, not only at this time of year but all year round. Thank you for being a family that continues to teach me what these are.
- I hold a special place in my heart for my family, the greatest gift of all.
- God has blessed me with such a fantastic family! You are so special to me and I can’t wait to spend time with you soon.
- We’re going to have so much fun this Christmas! I can’t wait to cook up a storm and then feast like there's no tomorrow!
- I will always love and cherish you even when I’m annoyed by something you say.
- Your support over the last year has meant the world to me. Thank you for showing me the true meaning of family.
- I got lucky with the kindest, sweetest, most fun family anyone could have asked for. You are all so special and unique. I wouldn’t trade you for anything in the world.
- I love you so much and hope your holiday season is filled with joy and happiness (and maybe some relaxation, too)!
Read More From Holidappy
Silly Holiday Greetings
- Merry Christmas! Happy New Year! Happy Valentine’s Day! Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Oops I’m sorry I got carried away. I’ll try to stick to one or two holidays at a time.
- For Christmas, I got you pants with an elastic waistline that you can wear through January. You’re welcome.
- If you don’t like my present, it’s because you have bad taste. I’ll still wish you a Merry Christmas!
- I’ll distract everyone and you can add more rum to the eggnog. Sound like a plan?
- I’m trying something new this Christmas. I’m going to wrap myself up and sleep under the Christmas tree so you’ll finally understand what a gift I am to all of you.
- Christmas is a special time to think about peace, love, joy, and weight gain.
- Ah yes, the true meaning of Christmas: peace, joy, harmony, and passive aggression.
- I hope the holidays find you in good spirits! And by spirits, I do mean alcohol.
- Is it too soon to ask for an advance on my birthday present?
- The best thing about the holidays is getting to catch up on sleep and TV shows. Enjoy!
- What’s red and white and round all over? You! After drinking a little bit, eating too much, and rolling around in the snow.
- Ever wonder why we don’t say Merry Birthday? Since it’s not a good idea to say things you don’t understand, I’ll just say Happy Christmas!
- You know, I wouldn’t mind getting coal for Christmas. Sure, it’s not the cleanest energy source but at least it’s useful. What I’m trying to tell you is: I got you coal for Christmas. You deserve it.
Religious Christmas Wishes
Incorporating religious messages into your Christmas cards lets the recipients know are focusing on the true meaning of Christmas and that you want to celebrate the good news. These are some creative ways to send a message with a Christian tone.
- Great things come in small packages, just like when our Lord was born.
- Let's celebrate our most special friend's birthday! Merry Christmas!
- Christ the savior is born! Merry Christmas!
- Just as Christmas lights bring light to a dark season, Christ brings light to a dark world.
- Jesus is the gift that we all are given this Christmas.
- Let's celebrate the baby, the servant, and the king named Jesus Christ.
- Merry Christmas! We have hope because Jesus was born.
- We're wishing your family the peace, love, and joy that can only be provided by our savior. May you be blessed this Christmas.
- Peace on earth is only possible through the gift of Christmas, Jesus Christ.
- May you feel rich in God's love this Christmas. 'For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son.'
- Christmas will always mean so much more to us Christians who have received the true gift of Christmas.
- "Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord." —Luke 2-11
- Jesus has been around since before time. He is the everlasting reason for Christmas. 'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!' —John 8:58
- Even if Jesus hadn't been born on December 25th, I'd still want to send you a card. Was Jesus born on December 25th?
Romantic Holiday Messages for Your Husband or Wife
- I love Christmas a lot, but not as much as you. I can’t imagine spending the holidays without you. You are such an important part of my life.
- My favorite thing to do during the holidays is cuddle up in your arms. Don’t disappoint me.
- All I want for Christmas is you in a bow. I’ll enjoy unwrapping my present.
- You light up my life more than the brightest Christmas lights.
- Nothing compares to the gift of your love. It’s the gift that keeps on giving.
- I love you more than the entire world because you are my entire world.
- Spending Christmas with you is my dream come true.
- You are more beautiful than any Christmas ornament and brighter than any star. Having you in my life makes every day a holiday.
- The best gift of all is the gift of loving you. Merry Christmas, sweetheart.
- This year you have blessed me with your love. You have been a miracle in my life. I love you.
- I <3 you. A lot. Merry Christmas.
- There is no present under the tree that’s better than waking up and seeing you next to me.
- If I could, I’d give you the moon, but I know how much you hate finding places to store things.
- You make every day sparkle and glitter like Christmas morning.
- You are my everything. No presents necessary.
- How many kisses and hugs do you want for Christmas? I’ll only give you up to infinity.
- Each Christmas I spend with you, I grow more grateful to have you. Let’s do Christmas together for the rest of our lives. I love you.
- You have no idea how much I love seeing you smile. I like making you smile like it’s Christmas morning.
Sample Messages for a Boyfriend or Girlfriend
- We go together like snow and a sled. We make things more fun for each other.
- It’s great to have friends around the holidays, but it’s even better to have someone who’s more than a friend to spend special occasions with.
- You are sweeter than a candy cane!
- Having you this Christmas was the best present ever.
- You, quite simply, are the best. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and are available for a kiss on New Year’s Eve.
- Being with you has given me something to celebrate every day.
- You are a unique and fascinating person. I can’t wait to see what adventures we’ll experience together in the New Year!
- In the words of Bing Crosby, “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas with my sweetheart.” I added that last part.
- You really jingle my bells all the way.
- You can deck my hall any day that you want. I hope you have a fantastic Christmas!
- You’re like a human strand of Christmas lights. Your personality glimmers and shines. Thank you for being so positive! I need you around me.
- I’m going to fill your stocking with hugs and kisses so you know I love you. You’ll get some real hugs and kisses as well.
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from someone who is completely smitten.
- May your holidays be filled with as much love and joy as you’ve given me.
- Time spent with you is always like walking through a magical winter wonderland minus the frostbite.
Christmas Wishes for Teachers
- Wishing you the happiest of holidays! Enjoy your break and see you in the New Year!
- Thanks for a great semester—happy holidays and see you next year!
- Learning is the greatest gift of all. Thank you for your hard work. You give me knowledge and understanding in every class!
- Wishing you a restful break! You deserve it.
- I hope you enjoy your break and I look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
- Have a great break—try not to miss us too much.
- Wishing you a restful holiday season. See you soon!
- Merry Christmas! I’ve really enjoyed your class and look forward to seeing what else you’ve got up your sleeve in the New Year!
- Merry Christmas! You are a fantastic teacher. I’ve learned so much from you!
- Enjoy your break! That’s your homework assignment. Thanks for being a great teacher! Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- I always look forward to your class. Thanks for bringing in so much passion to what you do. I hope you have a great break!
- I can’t wait to hear what homework assignments you’ve cooked up for us when I get back from break. Just kidding.
- Wishing you peace and joy this holiday season. I’m looking forward to a bright New Year of no homework.
- Stay bright! (I know you’ve made me brighter.)
Christmas Wishes for Coworkers, Bosses, and Colleagues
- Wishing you and yours a joyful holiday season.
- May your holiday season be fun and festive.
- Thanks for a great year! I hope you have a great holiday season and a fantastic New Year!
- Thanks for being a great boss. I hope you have a relaxing holiday season and I’ll see you in the New Year.
- Happy holidays, boss! Here’s to doing great work together in the New Year.
- You make working here so much more fun. Now have a fun holiday!
- Happy holidays to a great team member and friend—looking forward to doing great work together in the New Year.
- Thanks for being a great mentor and friend—I feel blessed this holiday both personally and professionally.
- Thank you for all your hard work this year!
- You’ve done a great job this year! Enjoy your holiday!
Famous Quotes About Christmas
- "You can tell a lot about a person by the way they handle three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights." —Maya Angelou
- "There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus." —Bob Phillips
- "Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful." —Norman Vincent Peale
- "Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas." —Peg Bracken
- "From home to home, and heart to heart, from one place to another. The warmth and joy of Christmas brings us closer to each other." —Emily Matthews
- "There has been only one Christmas—the rest are anniversaries." —W.J. Cameron
- "For the spirit of Christmas fulfills the greatest hunger of mankind." —Loring A. Schuler
- "Christmas isn't a season. It's a feeling." —Edna Ferber
- "He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree." —Roy L. Smith
- "Christmas is the spirit of giving without a thought of getting. It is happiness because we see joy in people. It is forgetting self and finding time for others. It is discarding the meaningless and stressing the true values." —Thomas S. Monson
- "Christmas, my child, is love in action. Every time we love, every time we give, it's Christmas." —Dale Evans
- "Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love." —Hamilton Wright Mabie
- "The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." —Burton Hills
- "Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone." —Charles M. Schulz
- "My idea of Christmas, whether old-fashioned or modern, is very simple: loving others." —Bob Hope
- "Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas." —Peg Bracken
- "Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind." —Mary Ellen Chase
How to Say "Merry Christmas" in Other Languages
This is a list of how to say "Merry Christmas" in different languages. These could be interesting to use for various reasons. A few are made up just for laughs.
- Alien: (transmitted directly into your mind)
- Arabic: Eid Milad Said
- Baby Talk: Merr Kissmus
- Chinese: (Cantonese) Seng Dan Fai Lok
- Chinese: (Mandarin) Sheng Dan Kuai Le
- Danish: Glædelig Jul
- Dog: Arf Arf
- Dutch: Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar! or Zalig Kerstfeest
- English: Merry Christmas
- French: Joyeux Noel
- German: Fröhliche Weihnachten
- Greek: Kala Christouyenna!
- Hawaiian: Mele Kalikimaka
- Hebrew: Khag Molad Sameakh
- Hindi: मेरी क्रिसमस (Krisamas kee badhaee)
- HTML: <h1><Merry><Christmas</h1>
- Iraqi: Idah Saidan Wa Sanah Jadidah
- Italian: Buone Feste Natalizie
- Japanese: Merīkurisumasu
- Korean: Meli keuliseumaseu
- Tagalog: Maligayang Pasko!
- Pig Latin: ErryMay IstmasChray
- Russian: Schastlivogo Rozhdestva
- Spanish: Feliz Navidad
- Vietnamese: Giáng sinh vui vẻ
Suggestions and Ideas for Your Christmas Letter
- Write an update about your family or business in your message. Describe what each member of the family is doing and announce any big news. People will enjoy knowing what is going on.
- Sometimes you need to be in the mood to write your Christmas messages. Try listening to Christmas music while you write in your cards. The words and the music will help you get into a festive mental state and boost your creativity.
- Remind people to stop and think about the more important parts of Christmas. Encourage them to put aside their frustrations and focus on the people they love. Do this tactfully. Write something like: "Let's remember to give each other the gift of patience this Christmas."
Michele Kelsey from Edmond, Oklahoma on December 18, 2019:
Wow! You thoroughly covered this topic! Made me laugh out loud in the waiting room! I just love the creepy Santa showing up while I’m sleeping quote. lol. And the image with egg nog makes my mouth water! I think that might be my favorite thing about the holidays! Maybe not but it’s close up there. The one that mentions Weight gain was pretty funny and honest. It’s good to see all of these different options of what to say because too often we just run out of original things to say and we stick we the same old boring things. Thank you for sharing. I can tell that you put a lot of effort in this article. Awesome job!
Virginia Allain from Central Florida on November 14, 2019:
Terrific selection and nicely grouped so I can find just the right wording for everyone on my list!
Vanessa 2356 on November 29, 2017:
Brilliant ideas..definately use some of these this year.
I noticed Welsh was not up on your Greetings for Christmas.
For anyone interested it is "Nadolig Llawen"
Anna Christie from London, United Kingdom on December 22, 2015:
Nice hub thanks
Anna Christie from London, United Kingdom on December 21, 2015:
Yes Xmas card messages make a card unique and more personalised
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on December 14, 2015:
I enjoyed reading the messages. Including the different ways countries say Merry Christmas is brilliant.
CassyLu1981 from Spring Lake, NC on December 14, 2015:
Love these!!! I will be using them next year in my Christmas cards for sure! Thanks for the great idea :)
dorothy joy on December 05, 2014:
thanks for the good samples.
kevin on November 25, 2014:
the time has come again
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on December 08, 2013:
Thanks for pointing out the the wrong letter. I have fixed it.
Peter on December 08, 2013:
The correct spelling of the wishes in Dutch is Zalig Kerstfeest , not Kerstfeast.
Kla on December 07, 2012:
Hey, you forgot to translate Merry Christmas to tiger!
hadia on December 30, 2011:
thank you so much for helping us.
Ibrahim m on December 24, 2011:
Thanks i find this site very useful. Now i can say merry christmas to all my freinds.
BRISKA, Solomo on December 23, 2011:
This site has been helpful. Thanks alot!
dancegirl on December 23, 2011:
thanks for the help
alexs on December 23, 2011:
Timothy Bhandari on December 20, 2011:
I really love and enjoy reading this. Thanks a lot...........
Hanny on December 20, 2011:
In Dutch it should be: "Zalig Kerstfeest" instead of
Rhoze on December 19, 2011:
thank you so much!!! It's a great help for me! God bless!
Joan on December 16, 2011:
What do I put in the card to my husband who cheated on me, has given me the crappest year of my life but we are trying to get back together and right now I'm happy although sometimes confused. It was hard enough choosing a card and even now it doesn't seem right
patches on December 16, 2011:
I sent my sisters a quote and they all got upset at what I said!!
"May we all show each other the
love and patience that we may not
deserve this Christmas.
This is the true spirit of Christmas."
**lighten up I love you**
netball98 on December 15, 2011:
This website is fantastic! I was so confused about writing a Christmas card for my boyfriend, but this website helped heaps! He loved the card so much! Thanks :)
lucky on December 14, 2011:
this site is realy helpful especialy when you want to write on cards for many people and you don't want to keep using same words keep up great work. thanks
Ngozi on December 13, 2011:
Thank you. It is very helpful, I now know how to say Merry Christmas in other languages.
Anna on December 03, 2011:
helping a bit :)
Godwill on December 03, 2011:
Thanks, great help
phx2jfk on November 28, 2011:
THANK YOU....SUCH A GREAT HELP :)
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on November 26, 2011:
Thanks for the suggestion. I added a section about how to say Merry Christmas in different languages, and I even included Pig Latin, dog, HTML, and alien languages.
Daisy Mariposa from Orange County (Southern California) on November 24, 2011:
Thanks for writing this Hub. Sometimes its difficult to think of something to say that's meaningful. You've presented some great ideas.
One thing I like to add to my Christmas cards, if the recipient speaks a language in addition to English, is "Merry Christmas" in the other language.
Anya on November 20, 2011:
This is an AMAZING website
Lolacool on November 04, 2011:
This is what I like writing in my cards:
I went out shopping for tinsel
And some wrapping paper too
But Christmas gets me so stressed
That I forgot what I was going to do
When the wrapping and decorating was finished
My mistake was there to see
I’d put tinsel all over the presents
And hung wrapping paper from my Christmas tree
monky on October 21, 2011:
I didn't want to write Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year becase that's what I alway's write so this site was really helpfull
Trish101 on November 20, 2010:
This Hub was really good! thx for the help :D
Jeff_McRitchie on November 16, 2010:
I really enjoyed reading this Hub. There are some great messages in it that people can use when doing their cards this year. Thanks!