Tatiana loves holidays and the traditions (and meals) associated with them.
'Tis the Season for Word Games
There’s something so magical about the winter season. Perhaps it’s the wonderland created by children in the snow, or maybe it’s the cold that brings people closer. Or, how about the holidays that fall in the wintertime, namely Christmas?
Ahh yes, during Christmas time love is in the air! What better time to gather together with family for good food, presents, and games? While children enjoy opening their presents from Santa Claus on this glorious day, parents sit idly by sipping hot coffee and smiling with joy at the sight of their children's faces lighting up brighter than any Christmas tree. Yes, Christmas is magical, indeed!
With so much to do and see around Christmas, what’s not to love about it? Here are some Christmas-themed words you can use when playing charades or other word games with family and friends this holiday season.
Milk and cookies
Buddy the Elf
Ho Ho Ho
Letters to Santa
Deck the Halls
The Christmas Story
T'was the night before christmas
Ugly Christmas eweater party
Making Christmas cookies
Birth of Jesus
Star of Bethlehem
Fun Christmas Word Games
With so much going on around the holiday season, there are bound to be many words and concepts that are strongly associated with the holiday. With these words, you can create even more fun things to do! So, whether you’re a teacher or a stay-at-home mom, there are plenty of word games and activities to be made!
- SANTA or JESUS Whether you’re celebrating in tradition or in religion, there’s a good ol’ spin-off of BINGO you can play! Rather than using numbers, you would fill in Christmas words (or pictures for sight). For example, in the game of JESUS, you could draw a card that says “E lamb” rather than “E 18.”
- Word Searches: Everyone is pretty familiar with how to do these, so just theme one with a Christmas word bank and let everyone have at it!
- Word Scrambles: If word games are your thing, then try mixing it up a bit, literally! Word scrambles really make people think, and you can even make one in such a way that you take one or two letters from each answer, and have one additional word to unscramble, perhaps answering some kind of joke or riddle!
- Crossword Puzzles: Christmas crossword puzzles make a fun busy activity for kids so as long as they are not too difficult for the age!
- Christmas Charades: Feeling like acting? Charades are fun, and adding Christmas themes is even better! Act out words that are related to Christmas and see how many people can guess.
Christmas shouldn’t be all about presents. It should also be about gathering with family and celebrating each other (and the birth of Jesus, if you're Christian). Also, it’s a great idea to use this as a time for educating through fun with the aforementioned word games! Christmas words can bring as much joy as Christmas morning!
You can make it all really fun by getting the whole family involved in a game, adding prizes, or racing against a timer. If you are all fans of the white elephant gift exchange game, you can use a fun and quick word game as a way to determine who gets to go first!
Virginia Allain from Central Florida on December 04, 2019:
These words would be useful to bloggers who might attempt an A to Z theme for December.
cimpo on December 19, 2018:
not a lot of words