Easter Cupcakes: A Recipe, Decorating Ideas, and DIY Cupcake Wrappers
In this house, every holiday must be celebrated with cupcakes, and Easter is no exception to this rule. It has become quite the family tradition for my boys and I to put our heads together and come up with new ideas on how to decorate our next batch of cupcakes.
For this year's batch of Easter cupcakes, we decided to go with the classics - bunnies, chicks, and colored eggs - all on top of a sprinkled cupcake. Of course, we couldn't stop there so we came up with an all new kid-friendly DIY cupcake wrapper.
So come on and join in on the fun and find out how to create this festive batch of Easter cupcakes!
How to Make Sprinkled Cupcakes
We wanted to try something a little different for the inside of the cupcake. Looking in the pantry, all we had was a white cake mix, but I remembered an idea that fellow HubPages author Cardelean gave me to add the longer colored sprinkles, also known as jimmies, to your cake batter. We tried it out and was really pleased with the results. The inside reminded me of a funfetti cake except the colors were a little more vibrant. Here is a list of supplies and step by step directions to making sprinkled cupcakes:
White cake mix
1/3 cup of long colored sprinkles
- Mix together ingredients according to directions on cake mix box.
- Stir in 1/3 cup of long colored sprinkles.
- Fill baking cups no more than halfway full.
- Bake in oven at temperature and time indicated on cake mix box.
- Let cupcakes completely cool before adding the icing.
Sprinkled CupcakesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Easter Cupcake Decorating Ideas
To begin decorating your Easter cupcakes, you will need to prepare a bowl of buttercream icing. Below is a list of supplies and step by step directions to how we decorated our cupcakes:
- White and green buttercream icing
- Peeps marshmallow bunnies
- Peeps marshmallow chicks
- Jelly beans
- Frost each cupcake with a white layer of buttercream icing.
- Cut the bottom half of the marshmallow peeps and place on top of desired number of cupcakes.
- Use an icing decorating tool or plastic bag filled with green icing to create the grass around your decorations. (I used the Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorator with the drop flower tip.)
For the jelly beans cupcakes, first create the bottom layer of green icing for the grass and then add 3 jelly beans on top. Fill in more green icing around the jelly beans as needed.
Decorating Easter CupcakesClick thumbnail to view full-size
DIY Cupcake Wrappers
While waiting on the cupcakes to cool, my boys worked on DIY cupcake wrappers for their Easter craft. Keeping their age in mind, I made it very kid-friendly and super easy to make. The finished project will look like a colorful assortment of Easter eggs. Here are the supplies and directions to creating these homemade cupcake wrappers:
- White cardstock
- Do-A-Dot art bottles (or washable paint applied with a circular sponge or cotton ball)
- Tape or glue
- Measure and cut 1 inch wide strips of white cardstock.
- Use the Do-A-Dot art bottles (or washable paint applied with a sponge or cotton ball) to paint colorful dots all over the strips of cardstock.
- Allow time for the paint to dry.
- Wrap around baking cup of finished cupcake. Cut off extra length if needed and tape or glue the wrapper securely around the cupcake.
How to Make DIY Cupcake WrappersClick thumbnail to view full-size
What is your favorite activity to do on Easter?
Celebrate Easter With Cupcakes
Whether you need to make a dessert for an Easter party or just looking for an activity and craft to keep your kids entertained, try making a batch of festive cupcakes with our homemade wrappers.
Your kids will love the chance to make some yummy baked goodies while getting creative with the design process. Turn baking cupcakes into an Easter family tradition and make this holiday into one that your kids will be sure to remember!
I hope you have found some good ideas for how to decorate your Easter Cupcakes. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave these in the comment section below. Wishing you and your family a very happy Easter!