Ezzly is artistic and has many creative ideas for celebrating the holidays with homemade gifts and decorations!
Deck the Halls With DIY Christmas Décor
It's so wonderful when you can have your whole family round to celebrate Christmas! A big celebration doesn't have to mean a big cost, though, and one of the areas where you can save money is decorating. Rather than buying premade decorations, you can buy craft supplies and make your own! Let's take a look at DIY holiday décor for various parts of your home.
- Christmas Mantel Decorations
- DIY Christmas Centerpiece Ideas
- Easy Christmas DIYs for the Hallway
- DIY Christmas Villages
- Decorative Christmas Crates
- Christmas Ladders Using $1 Dollar Tree Supplies
- Easy, Elegant DIY Christmas Ornaments
- Picture Frame Christmas Wreaths
- DIY Wall-Mounted Christmas Trees
- DIY Hoop Christmas Wreaths
1. Christmas Mantel Decorations
It's really fun to put together your Christmas mantel each year! If you don't have anything to put on the mantel, don't worry. Start with some simple pieces like evergreen boughs (real or fake) and candles. Then, add something new to your display each Christmas. Here are a few items to try:
- Glass candleholders
- Faux berry sprays
- Ribbons in Christmas colours
- Pinecones (real or fake)
- Christmas lights
Scroll through the photos below to explore some gorgeous ways to design your holiday mantel!
2. DIY Christmas Centerpiece Ideas
Make your holiday table memorable by creating a striking centerpiece. You can go for something modern with glass candleholders and tall candles in metallic tones, like gold and silver. Alternatively, you can create a rustic centerpiece focused on greenery, pinecones and natural fibres. Little touches like a fabric runner or some table scatter will pull it all together. See loads of ideas in the photos below!
3. Easy Christmas DIYs for the Hallway
Don't neglect your hallways when you're decorating for the holidays! Make every room feel festive by incorporating some Christmas décor. Hallways are tricky because they're small and narrow, so you can turn to things like vases, ceiling decorations, wall decorations and filled baskets to make the most of the space. Check out our inspiration gallery below for decking your halls—literally!
4. DIY Christmas Villages
Christmas village buildings are something that you usually purchase rather than make (or you get them as gifts), but setting them up in an eye-catching arrangement takes a lot of DIY skills! Here are a few tips for making your village:
- Work with the space you have. Resist the urge to buy loads of buildings that you don't have room for! A small village that's nicely decorated will look better than a bunch of helter-skelter buildings crammed into a tiny space.
- Leave room around the houses. Instead of squeezing houses close together, leave enough room to add a front yard, backyard and possibly a driveway for each house. It will look so cute and realistic! Plus, you can include fun touches like snowmen in the front yards and cars with freshly cut Christmas trees parked in the driveways.
- Plan your lighting scheme. You want each building to be properly lit, so plan ahead where you want to lay your string lights, and prepare to adjust your plan if needed. You don't want some buildings to be obscured!
- Work with your other decorations. This tip is especially important if you have a small space. Struggling to fit both a Christmas tree and a village in your home? Lay out the village around the base of the tree! You can also lay out your village right on a bookshelf (see some photos of that below).
Take a scroll through the photos of sample villages below to get more ideas!
5. Decorative Christmas Crates
You can take plain wooden crates and customise them to make Christmas crates! You can paint or stain the wood, or you can just leave it raw. Stack the crates vertically or horizontally (or a mix of both), and fill them with anything you like to create a seasonal display.
For a sweet and simple idea, use a crate as the holder for a mini Christmas tree. You can also create a holiday diorama in the crate by filling it with tiny trees, snowflakes, village buildings and reindeer. Get super creative! See some fun ideas in the photo gallery below.
6. Christmas Ladders Using $1 Dollar Tree Supplies
For inexpensive craft supplies, look no further than Dollar Tree or other dollar stores. You can find these little wooden ladders for cheap, plus tons of items you can use to decorate them! Just browse through the Christmas aisle for ideas and imagine what would look cute on the ladder, whether that's a plush snowman or an evergreen garland. See what other crafters have come up with in the photos below!
7. Easy, Elegant DIY Christmas Ornaments
You can find clear plastic ornaments at the dollar store, as well as foam balls that are easy to turn into ornaments. Both of these items are super versatile!
You can fill the clear ones with fake snow or line the interiors with glitter to add colour and sparkle. You can also paint them or apply stickers to them to create cute scenes! For the foam balls, a classic decoration technique is wrapping them with ribbons and using pins to hold the ribbons in place, plus some sequins for glitz. Explore some examples in the photos below!
8. Picture Frame Christmas Wreaths
Old picture frames make brilliant wreaths for inside your home, and all you need are a few cheap supplies you can pick up at the dollar store! With some paint, ornaments, ribbons and faux greenery, you can create a unique holiday piece for your wall. Check out the video tutorial above to get a general idea of the steps, then look at the photos below to get inspired!