Easy Pine Cone Craft Projects: Christmas Ornaments, Turkeys, Wreaths, and More
Pine cones are an inexpensive, readily available material that are ideal for a wide variety of fall and winter craft projects. From turkeys to reindeer to wreaths, you'll be covered for both Thanksgiving and Christmas as well as general home décor throughout the fall and winter. Many of these projects are suitable for children and adults. Happy crafting!
What can you make with pine cones?
Some of the Most Popular Pine Cone Crafts
How to Make a Thanksgiving Pinecone Turkey
There are an abundance of pine cone turkey crafts out there. Some people opt to use them as centerpieces or table decorations. Other people turn them into decorative ornaments that can hang from doorknobs or any other place in the house that needs a little Thanksgiving cheer. You can make pine cone turkeys as simple or elaborate as you like. If you are crafting with kids, let them have fun deciding how to decorate their turkeys.
Christmas Crafts : How to Make Christmas Ornaments From Pine Cones
- Elves. A pine cone is the perfect size for a body that has pipe cleaner arms and legs. Why not make some of your pine cones into elves for the holidays? The painted bead heads in this post are a great touch.
- Nature inspired ornaments. Create a terrarium environment of sorts in a hollow glass ornament that includes pine cones.
- Reindeer. Pine cone reindeer are a cheerful addition to Christmas décor around the living room or dining room. Consider attaching a ribbon or string and turning them into Christmas ornaments as well. This simple idea is perfect for an elementary school classroom.
DIY: Glitter Pine-Cone Christmas Ornaments
You can construct a wreath entirely out of pine cones or you can use them as an accent for an evergreen wreath or other type of wreath. One of the most basic methods involves simply hot gluing pine cones to a wreath form of your choosing. Then you can embellish it as you choose or leave it plain. If you want to do a little more with your wreath, checking out the following tutorials.
- Black pine cone wreath. Black paired with burlap creates a rustic aesthetic. If you're looking for an alternative to a traditional holiday color scheme, this is a great option.
- Flower wreath. A little cutting transforms your pine cones into wooden flowers that fill out a wreath form beautifully.
- Picture frame wreath. Instead of a conventional wreath form, choose an old picture frame that needs an overhaul.
- Pine cone and pom pom wreath. The bright white pom poms and the miniature pine cones make for a cheerful combination.
- Raffia ribbon. Transform a wreath form with raffia ribbon before you add pine cones.
How to Make the Perfect Pine Cone Wreath
- Christmas tree pine cones. Stand a pine cone on its end to turn it into a little Christmas tree. This post has trees decorated with pom poms, but there are numerous decor options available.
- Bowl or vase of painted pine cones. One of the simplest ways that you can decorate pine cones is to cover them with spray paint. Many people opt for green, red, and/or metallics, but the color possibilities are endless.
- Pine cone garland. If you don't mind a painting project that is a little more time consuming than spray painting, consider paint dipping the cones. The blog author strings her pine cones into a garland.
- Dishfunctional Designs: Decorating & Crafting With Pine Cones
Great round up of pine cone decor ideas.
I am not very creative when it comes to gift wrap and am always in awe of the unique ideas out there, especially options that are inexpensive and do not create waste. Pine cones are a perfect addition to any fall or winter gift. Check out the links below for inspiration and then customize your gifts to fit your own tastes as well those of your recipients.
- Pinecone Holiday Gift Wrap : Decorating : Home & Garden Television
- All the Trimmings: Decorate for the Holidays with Pinecones
- La classe della maestra Valentina: PACCHI E PIGNE CASSETTO N.17
- New England Fine Living - Interior Design,Entertaining, and Lifestyle Topics: farmhouse christmas p
- God Jul | Honeysuckle Life : Simple Swedish Christmas
- MargotMadison: 25 Days of Gift Wrap: Day 13
- wedding in italy: Christmas gift wrap ideas
Another Great Idea for Pine Cones
- Make Pine Cone Fire Starters - Fun Crafts
Do you ever have problems getting a fire started in the fireplace or wood stove? Have you ever experienced the wonderful scent of crackling pine cones in a fire? Why not try making pine cone fire starters?
More fall craft ideas from the author.
- How to Make Corn Husk Dolls and Other Corn Husk Craft Ideas
What do you do with dried corn husks? There are a variety of easy arts and crafts ideas to make, including corn husk dolls.
- What To Do With Walnut Shells: Crafts and Other Activities for Children
This article is about what to do with walnut shells. It includes a wide variety of crafts and other activities using shell halves or ground shells. Many of these projects are kid friendly.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Rose Clearfield