Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
Father's Day Card Messages for Dads, Stepdads, and Grandads
Are you wondering what to write in a Father's Day card? Figuring out a special message for your dad or husband can be a challenge, but with a little help, it will be easy. Usually, the toughest part of writing a greeting card message is getting started. After that, it comes out naturally.
Many of the Father's Day cards you see in stores make fun of the stereotypes of fatherhood, which gives you an opportunity to show your dad how unique and cool he is. Make your Father's Day message as sincere or funny as you like. Feel free to use any of these examples for your card. You can use them as-is or combine and change them as you see fit to compose the perfect card for Dad.
Example Father's Day Wishes
These are written in a conversational tone. This creates a more personal feel than messages that start with "May you..." Just act like your dad is sitting next to you. Whatever you would say out loud will sound the most natural.
- You took your job as a father seriously, and that included making me laugh as often as possible.
- I like having a dad who can be smart, funny, and strong. You can handle any situation with your Swiss Army knife of skills.
- I can't imagine what my life would be like without you in my life. I know it would have been much more difficult.
- I am grateful for the opportunity to be your son/daughter. You enrich my life, and I owe much of my character to you.
- Dad, you have been a provider for me all of my life. Thank you for giving me everything I needed and a lot more.
- You have been a great role model. I look up to you and think of you when I need to make a tough decision. Thank you for teaching me how to be wise.
- Thanks for acting like a kid when I was a kid, acting like a friend when I needed a friend, and acting like a parent when I needed one. You have played many roles for me.
- The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to have a dad like you. You have provided stability in my life and the love and acceptance I needed.
- Dad, I enjoy spending time with you. I am glad I have a dad who is cool enough to hang out with me. Thanks for all the great times we've had together.
- Dad, I can’t imagine what life would have been like growing up without you. Thanks for being a great dad!
Funny and Goofy Father's Day Wishes
Use these funny Father's Day messages for your dad if he has a good sense of humor. Keep in mind, though, that the funniest messages are usually personal and specific to your relationship.
- You're still my favorite dad!
- You used to let me win when we played games because I was little. Don't expect me to let you win just because you are getting old. I'm competitive.
- Some people say that dads just sit around watching TV and drinking beer, but I know you guys do a lot more. I know you also like to go fishing, watch sports, and fix the car.
- Has anyone ever made you realize how much of your life you gave up just to raise a kid? It doesn't seem like you ever had any authority for making wise decisions.
- My therapist told me most of my problems come from how you treated me when I was a kid. Don't worry. I took off my belt and spanked him for disrespecting an authority figure.
- I think I figured out that moms are there to make sure we survive our first few years of life. And we have dads to make sure we survive the rest of our tough life.
- The scariest time in my childhood was when Mom would say, "Wait until your father comes home." The few hours of worry were definitely worse than your punishment.
Example Messages for Your Children's Father
It is appropriate for mothers to acknowledge the father of their children on Father's Day. These are some examples of things to write in his card.
- You have been a blessing to me and our children. Thank you for showing our kids what a father should be.
- Thank you for being my partner in our war against our children's shenanigans. It has taken our powers combined to keep them alive, well, and fed. I couldn't have done it alone.
- You're not just a superhero to the kids; you are to me, too. Happy Father's Day!
- Thank you for providing for our family, making life fun, and allowing me to be able to say, "Just wait until your father comes home."
- I had fun making the kids with you. We make a good team. Thanks for everything.
- You are exactly the father that our children needed. I'm glad to have you as much as I know they are glad to have you. We are blessed!
Stepdads are not blood relatives, but their relationships with their stepchildren are important and meaningful nonetheless. Father's Day is a great time to honor a stepfather for his role in your life. If you have a great stepdad, then you can use one of these examples:
Read More From Holidappy
- I hope you realize how much of a blessing it is to have you as my stepdad. Happy Father's Day!
- You deserve to have a nice Father's Day. You deserve it because you're my stepdad!
- I appreciate having you as my stepdad because I learn a lot from you.
- If there were a Stepfather's Day, then I'd wish you a happy one. Since there isn't one, you'll just have to have a happy Father's Day!
- The cool thing about stepdads is that they choose to be a dad after meeting their stepchildren.
- I can't think of a better guy to have as my stepdad. Thanks for being so cool!
Grandfathers are sometimes forgotten on Father's Day. Remember to send your regards to Grandpa if you're lucky enough to still have him around. As the father to your own parent, his parental influence reaches you both directly and indirectly. Honor his past and present role with your message.
- Thank you for the legacy that passed on to your future generations. It's not only your children who benefit from having you as a father. I wouldn't be what I am without your influence.
- You have been like a second father to me. I appreciate getting your perspective on life because you have a lot of stories, wisdom, and humor to share.
- I know there is already a Grandparent's Day to celebrate grandparents. I thought you'd like to know that I appreciate your role as a father as well.
- I am lucky to have such a close relationship with my grandfather. I am thankful for my father, but you enrich my life beyond what a father can provide.
- As the patriarch of the family, you carry weight on your shoulders. I am confident that you can handle it. Thank you for being a great example of fatherhood and grandfatherhood!
The Importance of Fathers in Children's Lives
Before you write in your Father's Day card, take a moment to think about the impact fathers make on their children's lives. These large and small details show the many reasons we have to thank our dads for being dads. Below, you'll find the statistics that show what a huge difference a dad makes in your life. You have plenty to thank your dad for this Father's Day.
Children from fatherless homes are:
- 4.6 times more likely to commit suicide
- 6.6 times more likely to become teenage mothers
- 24.3 times more likely to run away
- 15.3 times more likely to have behavioral disorders
- 6.3 times more likely to be in state-operated institutions
- 10.8 times more likely to commit rape
- 6.6 times more likely to drop out of school
- 15.3 times more likely to end up in prison while a teenager
This data comes from fathersforlife.org.
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on July 29, 2010:
Pamela and Laura,
If you are writing to a father who is wrongly accused, and in prison, then you will have to come up with something appropriate for that situation. Here is an example that might work:
"Happy Father's day dad. You are my dad no matter where you are and I miss seeing you. Stay strong and take care of yourself. I hope you can feel the love I have for you this Father's day."
Maybe you could write something similar that works for you.
laura on July 29, 2010:
i agree with Pamela i dont know what to write on behalf of my 2 year old daughter as her daddy is in prison and as we believe wrongly accused we all miss him and love him but i cant write that he has been a great father because we only see him 4 hours a month so what words are there for absent fathers?