Frightfully Delicious Halloween Dishes
Halloween is a great time to host a party. Fall is a colorful season and makes decorating fun and easy. Witches, spiders, and ghosts, oh my! There are many themes available for your party for both adults and children. Go for something as simple as a "Come in Disguise" party or as elaborate as a Mystery Dinner Theater.
Whatever theme you decide to go with, be sure to plan some frightful foods and beverages. Halloween invites a great opportunity to be creative with food and decor. Some spooky treats and devilish drinks will go a long way towards the success of your party. Heavy hors d'oeuvres are generally a good way to go. Serve on a decorated table along with a "cauldron" (punch bowl) of potent witch's brew. Add some traditional chips in assorted varieties, dips, and raw veggies and your scary spread is complete!
Ingredients for Meaty Eyeballs
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 pounds ground beef, lean
- 3/4 cup onions, finely diced
- 1 cup bread crumbs, dry
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peper
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 tbs olive oil
- cocktail onions and olives
Instructions for Meaty Eyeballs
- Combine all ingredients.Form into balls.
- Heat oil. Sauté meatballs until done (no pink in the middle).
- Spear a pearl onion and an olive slice with a toothpick.
- Add to each meatball to represent an eyeball.
Bloody, Loaded Potatoes
Bloody, Loaded Potato Instructions
- 12 medium size baking potatoes
- 8 oz. light sour cream
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 package Bacos Bacon Bits
- Salsa dip
- Bake the potatoes with the skin on. Cool slightly.
- Divide and scoop out potato from the skin.
- Put in bowl and add other ingredients.
- Mash with potato masher, then spread into potato shells.
- Cut them into quarters for hors d'oeuvre sized loaded potatoes.
- Add a dollop of salsa on top of each.
Mummified Franks Instructions
- 2 packages of hot dogs
- 1 tube refrigerated crescent rolls
- Rinse and pat dry the hot dogs.
- Cut crescent roll dough in strips and wind around the hot dogs mummy fashion.
- Bake in 374 degree oven until brown.
Really Creepy Salsa
So quick and easy but visually effective. Put salsa in a holiday dish and sprinkle with sliced black ripe olives. The added sliced black olives give the salsa a nice new flavor.
It is a quick little trick that is just in time for this tricking and treating holiday.
Dish this devilish mixture up with healthy tortilla chips.
Ok. It's really just Guacamole dip. I renamed it in honor of the holiday. This recipe uses all fresh ingredients:
- 3-4 ripe peeled, pitted avocados
- 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1/2 cup diced chili peppers
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 TBS lemon juice
- Dice or chop ingredients as stated above.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Graveyard Pudding Cups
- Dirt pudding
- Gummy worms
- Assorted candy bones and skulls
- Vienna Finger cookies
- Follow the recipe for dirt pudding.
- Place the pudding in small, wide clear plastic cups.
- Use the Vienna Finger cookie for the headstone. Lace with tiny candy bones and skulls. (I found these at Dollar Tree).
- Put 3 gummy worms crawling off the side of the cup.
Witches Fingers And Toes
Please check out the video for directions on these cool witches fingers. For my version, the bread stick dough is cut in halves for witches toes. The nails are almond slices died green. For the fingers, I sliced the halves of bread sticks vertically to make them thinner. The fingernails are almonds tinted red.
These breadstick fingers and toes make great dippers for the really creepy salsa!