Five Fun Thanksgiving Arts and Crafts Ideas for Kids
Thanksgiving is an all-American feast day that anyone can celebrate. Since feasts and parties demand decorations, parents are always looking for fun Thanksgiving arts and crafts ideas for kids. Kids love to be included in plans and preparations, and a simple, decorative art or craft that they can display with pride will make them very much a part of the celebration. For a simpler craft, print out copies of a turkey outline. They can add feathers in several ways: thumbprints in water colors, glue real feathers on it, cut out feather shapes from colored construction paper and glue on crumbled fall leaves or even just color it.
Enjoy and try these ideas at home and share your experience with us in the comments section below.
1. Popcorn Art
- Colored paper
- Yarn, ribbon, crayons, etc. to decorate around the popcorn
How to Make Popcorn Art:
- Pop some popcorn in the microwave oven. Involve the kids while popping in enjoying the aroma and popping sound.
- Hand out a piece of colored paper to every kid. Ask them to glue the popcorn on the paper and design anything they like.
- While kids are busy doing the design job, encourage them to eat as much popcorn as they want to to make it more fun.
- Encourage the kids to use crayons, yarn, stickers, etc. to complete their design or art.
2. Turkey Balloon
Balloons are always a fun and favorite idea and tends to get kids excited easily. Here are the instructions:
- 2 round balloons and a long balloon
- Acrylic paint and brushes
How to make a turkey balloon:
1. Inflate one of the round balloons and tie the end. This will be the turkey's body.
2. Inflate the long balloon about halfway so that there's an uninflated nose at one end. This will be the head of the turkey. Tie an uninflated round balloon to the nose.
3. Attach the ends of the body and the head together by wrapping a rubber band around them.
4. Cut two small pieces of cardboard (for the feet) and tape them to the bottom of the body of the turkey.
5. Let your kid show their creativity by painting on the face and feathers on it.
Make a bunch of turkey balloons and make them fly.
3. Hand and Feet Turkey
This is another simple and interesting idea.
- Construction paper (multiple colors, brown, yellow, red, etc.)
1. Trace the kid's hands and feet: Two feet on brown construction paper; two hands on tan construction paper; two hands on red construction paper; two hands on orange construction paper; and one hand on yellow construction paper.
2. Cut out all the pieces from the construction papers.
3. The feet pieces can be made into the body and head of the turkey. Put the two feet tracings together to make the turkey body and head, matching the heels together.
4. Cut two feet out of the orange scraps, and cut a diamond shape for the beak. Draw the eyes on white paper and cut them out. Make the wattle out of red construction paper. Glue them onto the body.
5. Glue the red, orange, and yellow construction paper hands behind the brown body to make the tail.
6. Position the two tan hands to either side to make the turkey's wings and glue them in place.
There you go. Kids will love what they see when it is done.
4. Sugar Cube Art
- Sugar Cubes
- Heavy cardboard or paper places
- Paint, cotton batten, other decorations
- Give each child a piece of heavy cardboard or paper plate to glue their artwork on.
- Place sugar cubes on the table.
- Have the children glue the cubes to together to make a winter scene, such as an igloo, a winter fort, or a winter house, etc.
- To make the project more fun, let the kids glue cotton batten on their cardboard to look like snow and sprinkle it with small sparkles, or allow the children to paint their sugar cubes lightly.
- Feel free to add other decorations to make the winter scene complete.
5. Leaf Thank You Card
- Fall Leaves
- Crayons, Colored Pencils, markers
- Fold your paper in half.
- Fold your paper in half again.
- Put your leaf inside the paper on what will be the front of your card.
- Rub your crayon over the leaf to create your picture.
- Using colored pencils, markers, etc, decorate your card and write your greeting.
- Enjoy your leaf thank you card.