L.M. Reid is an Irish writer who has published many articles. She makes prize-winning Halloween decorations and shows you how here.
How to Make Annabelle—The Doll From "The Conjuring"
This is the Annabelle doll that I made to go out into my Halloween yard display this year. It is from the horror movie The Conjuring wherein a doll is possessed by an evil spirit. It is surprisingly easy to make and is very effective in scaring trick-or-treaters. I'll show you how to make it here with step-by-step instructions accompanied by my own photos.
- Suitable doll with long hair
- Long, white, doll-sized dress
- Red ribbon: 1/2 inch wide
- Red ribbon: 1 inch wide
- White spray paint
- White acrylic paint
- Red acrylic paint
- Black acrylic paint
- Red crayon
- Red thread
- White thread
- Sewing needle
- Protective plastic bags
- Protective sheet
- Adhesive glue
I bought the doll in a Goodwill thrift shop for 50 cents. It was not porcelain like the one in the movie but once painted it will have that effect. The doll had ordinary doll's clothes on, so I also bought a long white dress in the same goodwill / charity shop for €1.
- Remove the clothes from the doll.
- Measure the white dress to fit the doll to look like Annabelle.
- Cut out the legs from the white trousers that come with the doll's clothes.
- Measure them against the doll so they fit on the arms.
- Attach these to the arms by sewing them with white thread.
How to Put the Annabelle Doll Together
- Remove the plastic bags from the doll.
- Make sure the paint is completely dry.
- The painted face will now have a cracked look which is the effect you are looking for.
- Comb and plait the hair and add the ribbons.
- Put the dress on the doll.
Displaying the Doll for Halloween
I intend to put Annabelle sitting on a wooden chair that I made last year with a skeleton beside it. You can use her in different scary ways for your Halloween display too.
Annabelle Says 'MISS ME?'
In the movies Annabelle scares and attacks the people in the house where she is. They eventually manage to get rid of the doll by dumping it somewhere secure where it cannot get out. They and the audience think they have won and are safe. But there is lots of knocking and banging which is always accompanied by a note written in red crayon. It reads 'Miss Me?' After a few of these the doll then reappears to attack again.
How to Make Annabelle's Face
- Take a plastic bag and cover the doll's head and hair to protect it from the paint.
- Do the same under the doll's chest.
- Put some tape over the doll's eyes.
- Lay the doll onto a protective sheet.
- Spraypaint the face with white paint.
- Paint the eyebrows and around the eyes with black acrylic paint.
- Paint the lips and cheeks with red acrylic paint.
- Leave to dry.
- Add a red crayon to the doll's right hand with glue.
How to Make the Dress
- Lay it on to a flat surface.
- Attach the wider ribbon around the waist by sewing it with red thread.
- About halfway down the dress, sew in the words MISS ME? using red thread.
My Other DIY Halloween Projects
Here are links to some other DIY Halloween decorations, costumes, and crafts. Each article includes step-by-step instructions and original process photos.
- A scary blood-soaked skull
- Scary eyes for your yard.
- Georgie and his boat from the horror movie IT
- A coffin for your decorative skeleton.
- A scary wreath with snakes
- A locked zombie door from The Walking Dead
- Pennywise, the clown from the movie IT
- A Woody Halloween costume from Toy Story
- A Chucky doll from Child's Play
- A Superman/Clark Kent Halloween costume