L.M.Reid is an Irish writer who makes prize-winning Halloween decorations. Learn how to make them from scratch at home.
What Is a Buddi Doll?
Here I show you how to make your own Chucky doll with step-by-step instructions and original photos.
This is the Buddi doll that I made for my Halloween yard display this year. It is based on Chucky from the horror movie Child's Play (2019). In the film, Buddi dolls were manufactured to interact with children using artificial intelligence. One of the dolls—known as Chucky—has its fail-safe deactivated, so it becomes a killer.
- Boy doll with hair
- Doll's clothes: long-sleeved tee shirt
- Doll's clothes: denim dungarees
- Doll's shoes
- Yellow fabric paint
- Red fabric paint
- Dark blue fabric paint
- Light blue fabric paint
- Orange fabric paint
- Orange acrylic paint
- White acrylic paint
- Blue thread
- Iron on letters to spell "Buddi"
- Toy rubber knife
- Strong glue
- Clear varnish spray paint
- 5 jars
- Sewing needle
- Protective plastic bag
- Protective sheet
How to Make an Evil Chucky Doll for Halloween
I bought this doll in a Goodwill thrift shop for €1. I knew it would make a great evil Chucky doll because it looked similar to the one from the movie Child's Play. It had ordinary doll's clothes on so I also picked some other clothes to recreate the look. I was very lucky that it had shoes that would be perfect for Chucky with just a little paint added.
Making the Clothes for the Doll
You may have time to look out for a suitable pair of dungarees and top for your doll. If you can get them, then that would be great. I only decided to do the Chucky doll for this Halloween a few weeks ago so I had to make my own. They turned out just fine but were a lot of work.
Instructions for Making the Dungarees
- Cut the dress around the waist.
- Discard the bottom.
- Lay the trousers on to a flat surface.
- Place the top of the dress on top of the trousers.
- Measure it and cut to fit if necessary.
- Sew the top to the bottom.
- This will give you a completed pair of dungarees.
- The dress that I bought had a motif on the front pocket. This needs to be plain, so I cut it off.
How to Make the Top From Scratch
I also had difficulty in finding a suitable top for Chucky to wear. I am delighted with the finished product but it really was a lot of work.
If you have more patience than me, I would advise you to keep looking in Goodwill charity shops for one. The baby section is the best place to look. I bought this child's white top for 50c.
- Squeeze out some yellow, red, dark and light blue, orange and white fabric paint on to a plate.
- Fill a few pots with water
- Take out one brush for each colour.
- Lay a piece of protective plastic on to the surface you will be working on.
- Put the white top on it.
- Place the photo of the Buddi doll next to your work surface.
- Use a dark pencil and ruler to mark out the stripes.
- Do this on the body and the sleeves.
- Paint the top with the correct sequence of colours as is in the photo of 'Chucky'.
- Allow to dry completely before you remove it from the flat surface.
- You only need to paint the top on one side because the way it will be displayed the back of the doll will not be seen.
How to Add the "BUDDI" Letters
- Place the letters BUDDI across the chest of the dungarees.
- Heat up the iron.
- Carefully place the iron over the letters to seal them onto the cloth.
- Allow a few minutes for them to cool down.
- Paint the letters with yellow acrylic paint, leaving the edges red.
How to Paint the Shoes
- Give the shoes an undercoat of white paint.
- Mix four parts red paint and one part glue together'
- Paint the shoes red.
How to Paint the Hair and Face
- Remove the clothes from the doll.
- Take a plastic bag and cover the doll's neck and chest to protect it from the paint.
- Mix one part glue to four parts orange acrylic paint.
- If the doll can be sat up then do so and paint the hair of the doll.
- Leave to dry completely.
- Lay the doll flat and paint its eyebrows the same colour as the hair.
- Give it some orange freckles too.
- Allow to Dry.
How to Put the Chucky Doll Together
- Dress it up with the dungarees and top.
- Add a pretend knife in the doll's right hand with glue.
- Use clear varnish spray paint to cover the clothes with. This will protect them when they are out in all weathers.
- Allow to dry.
Other Halloween Decoration Ideas
I intend to put this doll with another evil one I made called Annabelle. They will both be sitting on a wooden chair with a blood-soaked skeleton between them.
Each of the following articles includes step-by-step instructions and original process photos.
- Here is my blood-soaked skull decoration.
- Pennywise is the clown from the movie IT that terrorizes the children.
- I made Georgie and his boat from the horror movie IT. I love this one.
- I made this coffin last year and had it in my front yard with my skeleton Percy in it.
- Here are some scary eyes for your yard.
- I also made a locked zombie door from The Walking Dead.
- Then there is the evil doll Annabelle from the horror movie Annabelle.
- Here is a Woody Halloween costume from Toy Story that I made for my son.
- Here is a scary wreath with snakes you can hang on your door.
- I made a Superman/Clark Kent Halloween costume for my other son.
L M Reid (author) from Ireland on October 25, 2019:
Hello Rida, yes I had great fun making Chucky. If you could buy the clothes in charity or goodwill shops then you would be able to make him pretty quickly too.
Rida Verduax from Seattle on October 23, 2019:
Creepy! Love this idea though, especially those of us with kids probably have all this laying around already! Happy Halloween!