Halloween 2018: Zombies Door From 'The Walking Dead'
'The Walking Dead' Zombies Door
How to Make a Halloween Zombies Door
This newest creation for my Halloween 2018 display in the front yard is a 'The Walking Dead'' locked door. In the TV show this door is protecting Rick from the zombies when he wakes up in hospital. I show you how to make it door with a step-by-step guide and my own photos.
Materials Needed for the Zombie Door
- 2 pieces of wood - 6 feet x 2 feet
- 5 pieces of wood - 5 inches x 4 feet
- 3 pieces of wood - 1 x 2 inches to 2 feet
- 2 door handles
- Large chain
- Large padlock
- 2 thick pieces of garden string - about 2 feet each
- 2 Hinges
- Black spray paint
- White spray paint
- Silver spray paint
- Plastic bags
- Paint brushes
- Paint thinner
- Protective plastic sheeting
- Wood glue
- Angle grinder
- Drill and hole bit
- Place the two pieces of the door together on the sheeting on the ground.
- Make sure they are flush with each other.
- Measure the two slats of wood across the closed door.
- Cut to size.
- At the top of the door use wood glue to stick the piece of wood across it.
- Do the same at the bottom.
- Screw both pieces of wood into the door as well.
- Turn the door on to the other side. This will be the front.
- Do exactly the same on this side with two more slats of wood.
Adding the Door Handles
- Mark out where you want the two handles and the wooden barrier to be.
- Drill the holes for the screws and attach the handles to the door.
- Measure the piece of wood that will be put through the handles and put aside.
- Screw the two handles onto the door.
- Cover them with plastic bags to protect them from the spray paint.
How to Paint the Zombie Door
- Lay the door at a slight angle on top of some protective covers.
- Spray paint the door a mixture of white and silver to about two thirds down.
- Allow to dry.
- Spray paint the bottom third of the door with black paint.
- Allow to dry.
- Paint the wood slat that will go through the handles with silver spray paint.
Painting the Warning Words
- Lay the door flat on the protective cover.
- Write the words Don't Open on the left with a pencil.
- Write the words Dead Inside on the right with a pencil.
- This will allow you to correct them if you run out of space,
- When you are happy with their position cover the letters with black paint.
- Allow to dry.
- Lay the door at a slight angle.
- Take a small amount of black paint and add some thinner.
- Mix in well and create a runny texture.
- On the end part of each word go over the letter to create the dripping part of the words.
- Allow to dry.
How to Make the Support
For safety reasons you will need to make a support at the back of the door. This will keep it upright in your yard display and stop it from falling down or blowing away.
- Measure the top piece of wood to go across the back of the door.
- Take two more pieces that are the same width and length to form the legs.
- A couple of inches above the end of these two bits of wood drill a large hole in each one.
- Using a large hinge attach this piece of wood to the one that goes across at the top.
- Do the same for the other one.
- Take a smaller piece of wood and attach this to the bottom part of the legs.
Attaching the Support to the Back of the Door
- Drill two holes in the bottom of the door. They should be large enough for the rope to go through them.
- Using wood glue first attach the top part of the support to the back of the door.
- For extra security screw it onto the door as well.
- Thread the rope through the holes you made.
- Tie a knot at each end to secure it.
Attaching the Chain and Padlock
- Get your length of heavy chain and thread through the handles.
- If it is too long then cut it to size.
- Secure the chain with a padlock.
Halloween 2018 Ideas
I hope my tutorial has encouraged you to have a go at some do-it-yourself Halloween decorations. It does take time to make this zombies door for your yard display, but it is worth the effort. It looks very effective and scary and can be displayed every year. It can also be easily stored flat when you are finished with it.
You will notice there are a few large holes drilled into the door. I got these pieces of wood from a skip and the holes were already there. They were free so I made do. Once it was made it is hard to notice them. The two rusted handles also came from a skip.
Every year I add to my Halloween display in the front yard. All of the decorations are hand made by myself. I am a member of a some Halloween groups on Facebook so get many ideas on there too. Other projects I have made so far this year are a scary wreath with snakes, a coffin for my skeleton, a Georgie skeleton and boat and a blood-soaked skull on a frame.