Homemade Father's Day Gift Ideas for Dad
Homemade Gift Idea for Father's Day and Other Holidays
If you are considering giving your father a homemade gift, here are several ideas that take less than 30 minutes to make. Not only will these ideas take you less than 30 minutes but they will also cost less and be more meaningful than a store bought gift. Since Father's Day occurs about the time most kids start summer vacations and most people start heading to the beach, dad often gets forgotten. All these gifts will be around for years to come to remind every father just how special he is!
Handmade T-shirt For Dad
- white t-shirt
- acrylic paint
- fabric paint
- Lay a piece of cardboard inside the t-shirt so that the paint does not seep onto the back of the shirt.
- Cover your child's foot or hand in acrylic paint and press firmly onto the shirt.
- Use the fabric paint to write #1 Dad or My Kids Walk All Over Me or Hands Down Best Dad.
- Use a hair dryer to set the paint and allow it to dry quickly.
- The first time you wash the shirt, be sure to turn it inside out and hang it to dry.
We made our homemade #1 Dad t-shirt nine years ago and although my husband just keeps it shoved in the back of his drawer as a keepsake, it is still in one piece. Now that my children are 11 and 9 years old, it might be time to do this project again!
12 x 12 Frames
- 12 x 12 heavy paper
- 12 x 12 frame
- large sticker or cut out letters that spell FATHER
- Spell out father going vertically down the page.
- Write a word or a few words using each letter in father to make a poem
- Put the poem into the frame.
- You could also buy other stickers and embellishments to decorate it based on your father's interests.
He who I call my dad
Everyday I am
Reminded how special he is!
Father's Day Song
Here are the lyrics we used when we sang to the tune of "Three Blind Mice":
"I love my daddy, I love my daddy
He is so wonderful, he is so wonderful
He always plays with me and gives me hugs
He always plays with me and gives me hugs
Cuz he's my daddy, cuz he's my daddy"
Homemade Father's Day Video
When my kids were very young we made a video for their dad for Father's Day and we still love getting it out and watching it. We made up a song to the tune of "Three Blind Mice" but you could also use your dad's favorite song and make up your own words. If you don't have a way to make a video you can use pictures and Windows Movie Maker to create a video that way. This is also a great gift idea for Christmas as well.
- sign (poster board and markers)
- video camera
- Make a sign that says Happy Father's Day of some other special message.
- Dress up and create a background for your video.
- Practice the song or actions a few times before videotaping.
- Videotape the message and keep it short and simple!
Recipes for Father's Day Meals
- How to Make Easy Garlic Parmesan Crusted Chicken Wings
Tired of Buffalo Wings? Then try these delicious and easy to cook garlic Parmesan Crusted Baked Chicken Wings. This recipe is easy and fast and healthier than fried chicken wings.
- How to Make Fresh Pasta with Homemade Alfredo Sauce
Making homemade pasta and homemade alfredo sauce is very easy; with simple ingredients and a little time you'll have a gourmet meal before you know it.
- How to Cook Steak
Looking to make a steak dinner this week? Here are instructions for some methods for cooking steak as well as tips for determining steak doneness.
Gifts from the Kitchen
Most dad's love food, so another great homemade gift idea for dad is to make him a great meal. Make the meal extra special by creating a homemade place mat to serve it on. If you want to be able to use the place mat over and over again, consider getting it laminated or use clear contact paper to give it a laminate-like cover. Depending on what you chose to make you may not get this homemade gift done in less than 30 minutes, but you can definitely make the place mat in less than 30 minutes.
- ingredients for a meal that dad will like
- homemade place mat (paper, markers, stickers)
- clear contact paper or access to a laminating machine
- Create the place mat and laminate it or cover it with the clear contact paper.
- Prepare the meal and set it up nicely on a plate.
- Place the prepared plate on the place mat and fold the napkin nicely.
Coupon Book Ideas
Here are some ideas for coupons. I suggest having some have an expiration date and others having no expiration.
- one car wash
- one week of poop scooping or litter box clean out
- homemade lunch/bagged lunch for work
- breakfast in bed
- creating a mixed CD or playlist (since many parents don't know how to do this)
- shoveling the steps every time it snows (no expiration on this one would be awesome)
- no arguing for the entire day
- a hug before bed (perfect idea for teens that are too cool to hug anymore)
- an hour of time together with no cellphone or other electrionic device
- unload the dishwasher for a week
Homemade Coupon Book
This gift idea is the fastest and easiest way to make dad smile on Father's Day, his birthday, or Christmas morning. With a few simple materials you can make a gift that gives for weeks.
- White cardstock or heavy paper
- Cut the 5 sheets of paper into three equal parts to make a total of 15 strips.
- Put all the strips on a neat pile and staple the one edge.
- Decorate the first page as a cover for the coupon book.
- On each strip write "coupon good for______" , decorate it, and write an expiration date on it.
- Once you have decorated and created all the coupons you are ready to give it to your dad!