I like to make recipes, face creams, cleansers, crafts, and all different kinds of things.
Valentine's Day Craft Ideas: Ombre Heart Decoration Tutorial
If you are looking for a fun craft project to make for Valentine's Day, check out this ombre heart. It's a work of art you can make and decorate your home with or one that you can give away as a gift. Do you like to make your own gifts? Do you like to make crafts with your kids?
If the answer to these questions is a big fat "yes," then the ombre heart project might just be what you are looking for. It's an inexpensive project and I will show you step-by-step (with pictures) how to make it. Valentine's Day is a great time to create a heart craft project, and February will be here before you know it, so let's get started.
What Is Ombre?
When we hear the word ombre, most of us think of the current fashion in hair coloring, with colors fading from dark shades to light shades. When we are talking about using this color style in craft making, we are talking about using this fading process on our cardboard. The top color will be a lighter shade than the bottom color with different intensities of shades running up your project.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Gather all the materials needed for this crafty tutorial—here's what you will need:
- a piece of cardboard from a brown cardboard box
- a wooden skewer
- red and white acrylic paint
- a paintbrush
- a red or maroon construction board
- a pair of scissors
- hot glue gun and glue sticks (or use craft glue)
Step 2: Separate the Cardboard
- Separate the cardboard that was extracted from a big brown box.
- Insert the wooden skewer on the side openings of the board, then carefully pull the stick upwards to lift the upper layer of the cardboard and expose the ribbed middle body of the cardboard.
- Make sure to insert the stick or the skewer alternately to properly remove the right layer.
Step 3: Paint the Cardboard
- Paint the bottom part of your corrugated board with the red acrylic paint. Then use the white acrylic paint to paint the top of your board.
- Next, blend the red and the white paints so the middle of your board is a lighter shade of red than you have at the bottom. Continue to blend so the top of your board is a lighter shade of red than the middle of your board and blend the red and white paint together to make a lighter shade.
- Continue until you are happy with the colors on your board and then let it completely dry for about an hour. Take a look at the picture to see the desired results of your blending.
Read More From Holidappy
Step 4: Cut the Strips
Cut three strips of corrugated board. This should be at least 1 to 2 centimeters in width, that's about .75 of an inch. The length you cut your strips depends on how big you want to make the hearts you will form with these strips of cardboard.
Step 5: Create the Hearts
Create a heart shape from the corrugated strips by folding and bending them. Shape them with your hands and then glue the ends in place when you have the shape you like. Make three of these cardboard hearts.
Step 6: Position Your Hearts
Put the hearts onto your painted ombre board. Position them until you are happy with how they look. There is no right or wrong way to place your hearts on the board, you get to choose where you put them. When you are happy with the positioning of your hearts glue them onto the ombre board.
Step 7: Glue the Project
Now that your hearts are glued onto the ombre board, glue the entire project onto your larger piece of red or maroon construction board.
Center the ombre board on your construction board and glue it into place. The construction board is going to be the "frame" on your heart art project.
Your Finished Heart Craft for Valentine's Day
That's it . . . you are done! This ombre heart is now ready to be displayed on your table or wall. This is a simple project that a loved one will enjoy receiving or a fine art project you make with your kids that will become a family keepsake to display over the years. I love the works of art my kids made for me when they were small.
This kid's craft project can be a gift to a parent or to a grandparent. A homemade gift is always a cherished present. It saves you money, lets your kids be creative, and can be made unique with extra special touches such as a message, a piece of lace or other embellishment added in. Personalize your heart art to make it super special. Have fun and spread the love at Valentine's Day . . . or any other special occasion during the year.