How to Create a Father's Day Card in MS Word 2016
Why Should I Give a Handmade Father's Day Card?
Why should you print your own card instead of buying one? Let's think through a few of the possibilities:
- You're short on time.
- You want to save money.
- It's more convenient than going to the store.
- You can personalize the message.
- You can customize the image.
- A handmade card is more special than one that is store-bought. What better way is there to say Happy Father's Day than with a homemade card?
Now that you're convinced, let's get started!
What You'll Need
- Microsoft (MS) Word: This tutorial was written using MS Office/Word 2016 software. Older/newer versions of MS Word had similar functionality, so you can still make your own cards using different versions. However, things might be found in slightly different places than outlined here.
- Color Printer: Printed cards look best when printed using a color printer. Alternatively, you can print in black and white and color in the images yourself.
- Card Stock or Quality Paper: If you select a card that will be folded twice (quarter-fold), a good quality paper should be sufficient. If you select a card that will only be folded once (bi-fold), a thicker card stock is a better option. Just make sure the paper or card stock you choose can be printed on your printer.
1. With MS Word Open, Click the File Menu
2. Click New (for New Document)
3. Search for Father's Day Templates
- Type "father" in the search bar.
- Click the magnifying glass "search" icon.
4. Select a Template
If you don't see a template you like, you can search for a different template. Try searching "card" or "holiday."
5. Click the Create Button
6. Look at the Template Formed
Your Father's Day card is generated!
Microsoft Word uses the template you selected to create a new document. The template usually will consist of one or more images and some text.
7. Check the Card Layout
8. Customize the Card
Click anywhere within the text box to edit the text. Each template will vary. The text could be regular paragraph text, or text within a text box, as is shown in this example.
9. Edit the Text
Edit any text you want. You can edit the text itself, change the font style, font color, font size, alignment, bold, italic, underline, or anything else to really customize your card.
- In this example, we'll simply change "I love you." to "We all love you."
10. Print the Card
When you are happy with the text on the card, it's time to print the card!
- Select File from the MS Word menu.
- Click the Print option.
3. Select your printer.
TIP: Make sure the paper or card stock you want to print on is loaded into the printer.
4. Click the Print icon.
11. Fold Your Card
For this example, we will fold the card as shown. Different card templates may require a different type of fold.
- Fold #1 keeps all of the colored print on the outside, the front and back of the card together on one side, and the inside on the other.
- Fold #2 folds the inside into two parts, which also brings the front of the card to the front and the back to the back.
12. Sign Your Card
Finished Father's Day Card!
Your Card Is Ready for Giving!
In less than 10 minutes, you have created a printable Father's Day card to give to that special guy. Great for giving to step-dads and dad-to-be's too!
Here are a few ideas to change it up:
- Re-write the entire message on the inside of the card to make it even more personal. Mention an event that happened recently so that special dad knows you put some thought into the message.
- Change the font to customize the look of the card. Doing this can drastically change the styling of a design. Try several different fonts to see what looks best.
- Replace the template image with an image of your own. You can try replacing it with:
- A photograph of your family.
- A free downloaded coloring book style image that your kids can color.
- Nothing! Draw your own image in its place or write a message.
Have you ever made a card and given it to your father for Father's Day?
© 2018 Amber Killinger