How to Make a Cute Popsicle Stick Angel Ornament
Ready for a New Project for Christmas?
This cute angel ornament is made out of a popsicle stick and a few other craft items you likely already have lying around the house. This cutie is easy to put together and would be a great project for you and your child to do for Christmas. Remember there are only a certain amount of days until Christmas; so if you start now, you will be so ahead of the game.
Handmade gifts are always a big hit, so why not make them for all the girls in the family or your friends. Dress them up as much or little as you would like and get creative. You will certainly put a smile on their faces at Christmas time.
What You Will Need to Get Started
- 3 1/2" x 13" fabric (polka dot or any desired design)
- 3/4" wooden button flat head
- 40 (7 1/2") strands of gold cotton for hair
- Black foam craft 4" x 4" size
- 2" pearl string for halo
- 8" black thin ribbon for hanging
- Small silver star or heart
- Small black ribbon flower or other decoration
- 1 (4 1/2") popsicle stick, 1" wide not the skinny ones
- Skin tone colored paint (or mix white & mauve colors)
- Black fine point permanent marker & thin paintbrush
- Blush powder for cheeks
- White thread and sewing needle
- 6" white pipe cleaner or "fuzzy sticks" for arms
- Hot glue and glue sticks and fabric glue
- Glue the hem of the dress with the fabric glue, then baste sew the top portion of the fabric leaving a long string to pull and make the pleats. Pull lightly and create pleats then make a knot and tie off. Glue the dress onto the popsicle stick (using the hot glue) leaving 1 1/4" of popsicle stick showing at the top and making sure that the popsicle stick doesn't show at the bottom so it's covered with the dress. Then cut off 3/4" at the top with sharp scissors or exact-o knife. Glue the backside of the seam of the dress together with the fabric glue, making sure it lines up nicely. From here on in you will use only the hot glue for the remainder of the project.
- Cut the heart shape from the black fabric, use any design, or create your own.
- Glue the head to the top front of the popsicle stick, just above the dress top. Paint the face in skin tone color, let it dry, and then add the facial features as shown in the photo with a black marker, and then add a small amount of blush on the cheeks with the dry brush.
- Take a strand of gold cotton and tie in the center of the gold strands you have already cut into the 7 1/2" size, simulating a part, tie very loosely so that you can manage the hair and glue in place on top of the head center. Only glue the top for now.
- Glue a pipe cleaner to the backside of the body keeping the two hands folding towards the front.
- Fold the ribbon in half and place glue in the center of the hair and then add ribbon in place for hanging.
- Glue the body to the heart, hold down tightly and wait a few minutes till dry, keeping most of the hair towards the front. Glue the ribbon flower under the chin.
- Shape arms to front and glue together, overlapping a bit. Then, glue the star in place.
- Glue the insides of the hair to the button head sides carefully to hold the hair in place.
- Glue the pearl halo together and then in place on top of the head, being careful not to use too much glue at only a couple of places.
There—you are done! This is such a cute project. You will want to make them using different fabric designs. The possibilities are endless—have fun!
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Mary Gaines