Quotes That Will Make You Stop and Think This Christmas
Has it been difficult for you to get into the proverbial “Christmas spirit”? If you've just gotten into somewhat of a rut these past years, keeping almost the same traditions year after year, but something just hasn’t felt quite right, then read on. This year, here's how to feel enveloped in that surreal Christmas blanket.
These beautiful quotes below are from some amazing, insightful people who have shared their own inspiring expressions of this festive season. They can help to put everything back into perspective for you.
Get Inspired With These Christmas Quotes
- “Best of all, Christmas means a spirit of love. A time when the love of God and the love of our fellow men should prevail over all hatred and bitterness; a time when our thoughts and deeds, and the spirit of our lives manifest the presence of God.” —George F. McDougall
- “This is the message of Christmas: We are never alone.” —Taylor Caldwell
- “As long as we know in our hearts what Christmas ought to be, Christmas is.” —Eric Sevareid
- “The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.” —Burton Hillis
“Christmas is not in tinsel and lights and outward show.
The secret lies in an inner glow.
It is lighting a fire inside the heart.
Good will and joy a vital part.
It is higher thought and a greater plan.
It's glorious dream in the soul of man.” —Wilfred A. Peterson
- “Christmas is most truly Christmas when we celebrate it by giving the light of love to those who need it most.” —Ruth Carter Stapleton
- “Blessed is the season which engages the whole world in a conspiracy of love.” —Hamilton Wright Mabie
- “It is Christmas in the heart that puts Christmas in the air.” —W. T. Ellis
- “Christmas is the day that holds all time together.” —Alexander Smith
- “This is Christmas: not the tinsel, not the giving and receiving, not even the carols. But the humble heart that receives anew the wondrous gift—the Christ.” —Frank McKibben
- “Christmas! The very word brings joy to our hearts. No matter how we may dread the rush, the long Christmas lists for gifts and cards to be bought and given, when Christmas Day comes there is still the same warm feeling we had as children, the same warmth that enfolds our hearts and our homes.” —Joan Winmill Brown
- “Time was with most of us, when Christmas Day, encircling all our limited world like a magic ring, left nothing out for us to miss or seek; bound together all our home enjoyments, affections, and hopes; grouped everything and everyone round the Christmas fire, and make the little picture shining in our bright young eyes, complete.” —Charles Dickens
- “Christmas . . . that magic blanket that wraps itself about us, that something so intangible that it is like a fragrance. It may weave a spell of nostalgia. Christmas may be a day of feasting, or of prayer, but always it will be a day of remembrance—a day in which we think of everything we have ever loved.” —Augusta E. Rundel
Jesus was God’s gift to the world, not just for Christmas, but for every single day—your whole life through—and even beyond for all eternity, and for every need that you will ever have.
— Maria Fontaine
- “And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?” —Dr. Seuss
- “Take a lesson from God in gift giving: His gift didn’t show us how powerful He was, how rich He was, or what good taste He had. His gift simply showed us that He loved us more than anything else in the world, and that He was willing to do whatever it took to make our lives wonderful.” —Maria Fontaine
- “Christmas is not an eternal event at all, but a piece of one's home that one carries in one's heart.” —Freya Stark
- “At Christmas, all roads lead home.” —Marjorie Holmes
- “Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.” —Laura Ingalls Wilder
“The earth has grown old with its burden of care,
but at Christmas it is always young,
the heart of the jewel burns lustrous and fair,
and its soul full of music breaks the air,
when the song of angels is sung.” —Phillip Brooks
- “I wish we could put up some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month.” —Harlan Miller
- “A Christmas candle is a lovely thing; it makes no noise at all, but softly gives itself away; while quite unselfish, it grows small.” —Eva K. Logue
- “Christmas is a day of meaning and traditions, a special day spent in the warm circle of family and friends.” —Margaret Thatcher
- “There is no greater joy nor greater reward than to make a fundamental difference in someone’s life.” —Sister Mary Rose McGeady
- “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of life, that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson
From home to home, and heart to heart, from one place to another.
The warmth and joy of Christmas, bring us closer to each other.
— Emily Matthews
“What shall I give Thee, Master?
Thou who didst die for me!
How can I give less than give of my best,
When Thou hast given all to me!
What shall I give Thee, Master?
Thou who didst die for me!
How can I give less than all of my best,
I must give all to Thee!” —David Brandt Berg
"I am the spirit of Christmastime, when all should gladness be.
I am the light that you see shining upon each Christmas tree!
I am the thought that brings each gift from ones we hold so dear.
I am the good that permeates the world with Christmas cheer!
I am the joy that brightens homes and guides our thoughts above.
All heaven and earth rejoice in Me, for I am known as Love!” —Lebaron Sharp
“Teach us to value most eternal things,
To find the happiness that giving brings,
To know the peace of misty, distant hills,
To know the joy that giving self fulfils,
To realize anew this Christmas Day,
The things we keep are those we give away.” —Marvin Davis Winsett
gfarmer (author) from Canada on January 13, 2015:
Thank you, Drew.
Drew on December 24, 2013:
Omg this is amazing
gfarmer (author) from Canada on March 17, 2011:
Thank you, Peter!
Peter Denly on December 23, 2010:
Christmas is very near and these kind of quotes makes me too good.