Best Non-Alcoholic Drink Ideas for St. Patrick's Day
Drinks For Everybody!
Here I offer half a dozen timeless drink recipes that skip the alcohol. Some are healthier than others, but all include fruits and/or vegetables in tasty combinations.
At the annual St. Patrick Day's party at the office or somewhere else, it is kind to avoid awkward situations when a host provides non-alcoholic drinks for nondrinkers.
Not everyone drinks alcohol and this is a for variety of reasons. The reason might be better health.
Here I offer half a dozen timeless drink recipes that skip the alcohol. Some are healthier than others, but all include fruits and/or vegetables in tasty combinations. Enjoy them any time of the year, not just on St. Patrick's Day!
Alcohol or Non-Alcoholic Drinks?
Some individuals are allergic to alcohol or become ill, no matter how little alcohol they consume. Others have had a bad experience with beverage alcohol, or may be alcoholics that have committed to not drinking. Some folks may refuse to drink simply to make a point of not being influenced by a crowd enjoining them to do so.
In any event, many people have good reasons to refrain from using alcohol, so some non-alcoholic beverages can be includes at any gathering.
Others may refrain from drinking, because a friend or relative died from alcoholism, or was killed in an accident with a drunk driver. Whatever the reason, these people may be accommodated with good-tasting non-alcoholic beverages without a commotion being made over the teetotalers at the party.
Kale is the modern superfood that is appearing in many healthy drinks.
De-toxifying Drink: The Other Green Lemonade
You can make your own lemonade or purchase frozen, and then add green vegetable coloring to it, or you can make this healthy De-toxifying Drink, if you have a juicer.
Ingredients For Two Delicious De-Tox Drinks
- 1 Head of romaine lettuce
- 6 Stalks or leaves of kale
- 2 Sweet apples, like Fuji or Gala
- 1 Whole lemon (if organic, you need not peel it)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, or to your taste
Process the vegetables and fruit in a juicer and serve.
Green Means Food
To me, green means food and is not a color to wear.
I just don't much like olive green, but enjoy Hunter Green or Kelly Green. I also admire bright greens in foods and beverages. It has my greatest respects in the world of cuisine.
"Green food" may conjure up nightmares of monster salads to some individuals that were forced into eating mushy salads and mushier canned green peas as children. Or the menace of canned spinach, which should be outlawed!
Popeye might still enjoy it straight from the can, but the contents simply cannot be the same item as that fresh green spinach in the market. In the can, it has the taste and texture is processed rope.
"Green food" can also speak to sustainability. A number of Hubbers write about the gardens that they produce every year, sharing useful and fun tips with the rest of us here and in the world. I love gardens.
Here, green food will be a list of non-alcoholic beverages that are green in color and delicious. You can add beverage alcohol to any of them, if you wish -- Although, I've never tried alcohol in Sage Tea...
Fruity Green Grape Sangria
For 6 servings of a bright tasting refresher, use these ingredients:
- 1 Quart sized bottle of white or green Grape Juice
- 1.2 Cup of OJ or Tangerine Juice (I love the Tangerine)
- I Quart of Lemon-Lime Sparkling Water
- 1 Large Lime, sliced
- Frozen Green Grapes instead of ice cubes!
Combine liquid ingredients in a punch bowl and add a few lime slices. Place frozen grapes into 6 tall glasses, add the Sangria, and place a sliced lime on the rim of each glass.
I hope you like this drink as much as I do!
Limeade - My Favorite Refresher
Limeade Concetrate - store in your refrigerator, or freeze for up to 3 months.
- 1 Cup of lime juice (the juice of 6 fresh limes)
- 1.5 Cups sugar and 1.5 cups water ( I use spring water), heated to dissolve sugar into a simple syrup.
- Mix together well, or refigerate both juice and syrup separately and mix when needed.
To make limeade, use 1 Cup of the concentrate and 1 Cups water. If too tart, add one more 1/2 Cup water to the mix.
TIP: Before juicing 6 limes, roll them on countertop while applying some downward pressure to begin to break down the inner membranes. This will make juicing easier. Cut rolled limes in half crosswise, hold cut side up and squeeze juice into a bowl, thereby keeping seeds in the rind. If you want to get rid of the pulp, strain the juice.
Magic Green Lantern
Ingredients for 6 drinks in iced tea or highball glasses.
- 1 cup well-packed sprigs of fresh parsley or mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 Cup cold water (I use spring water)
- 1/2 Cup lime juice
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- Club soda
- Lime slices for garnish
- Put all of the above ingredients, except the soda, into a blender.
Cover and puree contents for 60 seconds.
- Strain the blender puree through a sieve into a glass or other transparent pitcher.
- Fill tall serving glasses 1/3 full of cracked ice and serve the beverage over and above the ice slightly (divide among the 6 glasses), adding club soda to fill the glasses.
- Garnish with a slice of lime on the rim of the glass.
Sage Tea - Hot or Iced
Simple green tea, hot or iced, will look green, but this recipe offers a different flavor.
You will need
- 2 teaspoons loose black tea (if you can find loose white tea, use it for a greener coloring - open up two white tea bags)
- A little green food coloring
- 8 dried sage leaves
- Sugar or honey
- Place 6 cups water into a pot and bring to the boil.
- Next, remove pot from the heat, add tea and sage leaves, with a few drops of food coloring.
- Cover the pot with its lid and wrap a tea towel around the pan. Set it on the counter 10 minutes to steep the tea.
- Strain the beverage into a teapot and serve hot, with sugar or honey on the side; or pour unto tall glass that are 1/2 filled with cracked ice and garnish with a piece of fruit on a party-pik (offer sweeteners to guests).
Another Use for Green Teas - Green Tea Eggs
- Boil some eggs, cool them, and crack their shells all around without removing them. It's fine if you removed small parts of the shell here and there.
- Place the eggs into a wide mouthed jar of strong-brewed green tea, cover, and refrigerate overnight or for 24 hours.
- The peeled eggs will display green marbled designs and have the flavors of the tea.
Black tea and orange pekoe teas are fine for this as well. The eggs make an interesting party food.
Blend the following ingredients in a blender and serve.
- 1.5 Cups Orange Juice
- 4 Scoops lime sherbet
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled and chunked
- 6 Tablespoons chopped mint
- 4 kiwifruits, peeled and halved
- 2 Cups crushed ice
Mint Chocolate Shake
In a blender, combine the following ingredients and blend for 2 milk shakes
- 4 scoops mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 drop of peppermint extract
- Pour into glasses with a sprig of mint and or whipped cream garnish.
- Add additional milk to the blender if a thinner shake is desired. You can also add some additional chocolate syrup if you like.
Questions & Answers
© 2009 Patty Inglish