Adele has been a youth services librarian for 25 years and a mother to a daughter from China for 20 years.
Year of the Ox in the Chinese Zodiac
In 2021, the Chinese new year begins on Friday, February 12. It is designated as the Year of the Ox. 2033 is the next Year of the Ox. The ox is highly valued in Chinese culture, especially because it has been such a helpmate in agriculture. Many positive characteristics are associated with it, including those of being hardworking and honest.
The ox is the 2nd animal in the Chinese Zodiac, and every 12th year is named for this hard-working animal. People born in the year of the ox are thought to be honest, earnest, and persistent. They think before they talk, think logically, and make good leaders. Sometimes they can seem too quiet or too stubborn.
Celebrate the Year of the Ox With These Educational Coloring Sheets
All of these printable Year of the Ox coloring sheets are designed for young children including preschoolers, kindergarteners, and elementary school kids. Some of the ox images are my own designs, while the others are sourced from Pixabay or purchased under license from istock.com. Permission is granted to print them for personal, classroom, or library use but not for commercial use.
A note about the Chinese characters you see: The Chinese character on the lanterns in the illustrations is the character for "ox." The Chinese phrases say "Happy New Year!" The phrase is spelled out in pinyin (which is a system that uses English letters to indicate how the words are pronounced) and then repeated using Chinese characters.
If you click on my name above, you will find additional articles with educational printables including lucky red envelopes, bookmarks, and other craft projects.
Year of the Ox Coloring Sheets: Landscape Orientation
The first eight coloring sheets are in landscape orientation. Click on the thumbnail pictures below to see a larger sample of each type of coloring sheet that is available. If you prefer portrait orientation coloring pages, you’ll want to scroll down to the next orange link.
Year of the Ox Coloring Sheets: Portrait Orientation
These next 8 coloring sheets are in portrait orientation. Click on the thumbnail pictures below to see a larger sample of each type of coloring sheet that is available. If you need landscape orientation coloring pages, you’ll want to scroll up to the previous orange link.
Portrait Orientation Coloring Pages
Sample Finished Coloring Pages
Additional Facts About the Year of the Ox
- Generally, the years designated as Years of the Ox include 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973, 1985, 1997, 2009, 2021, and 2033. Since these years are calculated according to a lunar calendar, the first day of the new year changes each year. For instance, a baby born in 2021 but before February 12th is still considered to have been born in the previous zodiac year, the Year of the Rat.
- The recommended occupations for those born during a Year of the Ox are teacher, doctor, lawyer, technician, and office clerk.
- In addition to celebrating the animals of the zodiac in a 12-year cycle, the Chinese also recognize 5 different sets of cycles: wood, fire, earth, gold, and water. 2020, for instance, is the Year of the Metal Ox. Metal oxen can face trouble early on, but they will become prosperous later on, according to traditional Chinese lore.
- Oxen are most compatible with rats, snakes, and roosters. However, they can clash with goats, horses, and dogs.
- For oxen, lucky colors include blue, yellow, and green. Lucky numbers include 1 and 4. They have lucky flowers, too: lily of the valley and lucky bamboo.
- The only animal that precedes the ox in the zodiac is the rat. The ox is followed by the tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig—in that order.
Famous People Born in a Year of the Ox
- Napoleon Bonaparte
- Barack Obama
- Walt Disney
- Wayne Gretsky
- Rosa Parks
© 2020 Adele Jeunette
xiansheng chen on July 08, 2020: