Adele has been a youth services librarian for 25 years and a mother to a daughter from China for 20 years.
Use These Educational Coloring Sheets in Your Year of the Rabbit Celebrations
These coloring sheets are designed with kids in mind and can be used with children in preschool, kindergarten and elementary school. The images of rabbits are sourced from media sites like Pixabay, or they were purchased and licensed from istock.com. You have permission to print the sheets for use in your home, classroom, or library, but not for commercial use.
You will see several Chinese characters on the sheets. The character on the lantern is the character for rabbit. The Chinese phrase that you see at the bottom of each sheet reads “Happy New Year!” The phrase is first written in pinyin, which basically uses English letters to show how to pronounce the words. After that, you will see the Chinese characters which repeat the phrase.
Year of the Rabbit in the Chinese Zodiac
In the Chinese calendar, each year is named for a certain animal in the Chinese zodiac. In 2023 the Year of the Rabbit will begin on Sunday, January 22. Be aware that people who were born in 2023, but before January 22 are still considered to have been born in the previous year, the Year of the Tiger.
By custom, the Chinese say that people born in a certain year take on the characteristics of the animal for which it was named. And so, people born in the Year of the Rabbit are considered to be witty, gentle, ingenious, quick-minded, approachable, and always vigilant. They take their responsibilities seriously although sometimes they have flights of fancy and work to escape reality. They’re quiet but elegant, and they’re polite but persistent. These qualities combine to make them successful— eventually—in whenever they put their minds to.
Year of the Rabbit Coloring Sheets: Landscape Orientation
These first 15 coloring sheets are rendered in landscape orientation. Below are thumbnail pictures showing each of the pages. If you click on the thumbnail, you will see a larger representation of that picture. If you would rather have coloring sheets that are in portrait orientation, you can scroll down to the next link to see those.
Read More From Holidappy
Year of the Rabbit Coloring Sheets: Portrait Orientation
These next 15 coloring sheets are rendered in portrait orientation. Below are thumbnail pictures showing each of the pages. If you click on the thumbnail, you will see a larger representation of that picture. If you would rather have coloring sheets that are in landscape orientation, you can scroll up to the previous link.
Sample Finished Coloring Pages
Here are some samples of the pages after they have been colored in with crayons. Note that the last sheet in each set of documents provides a space in the middle for children to draw their own picture of a rabbit.
More Information About the Year of the Rabbit
- Generally, the years designated as Years of the Rabbit include 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, 2011, and 2023. Since they are calculated according to a lunar calendar, the date of the first day of the new year changes each year. For instance, a baby born in 2023 but before January 22 is still considered as being born in the previous zodiac year, the Year of the Tiger.
- Here are the recommended occupations for Rabbits: architect, musician, artist, gardener, teacher, police officer, judge.
- In addition to naming years after the animals of the zodiac using a 12-year cycle, the Chinese also designate each cycle with 5 different elements: water, gold, wood, fire, and earth. For instance, 2023, is designated the year of the Water Rabbit. Water Rabbits are easygoing and adaptable, according to traditional Chinese lore.
- Rabbits are most compatible with Pigs, Dogs, Monkeys, and Sheep. But, they are not a good match for Snakes or Roosters.
- For Rabbits, their lucky colors are red, blue, pink, and purple. Their lucky numbers are 3, 4, and 9. They also have lucky flowers : snap dragon, plantain lily, and nerve plant.
- The rabbit is the fourth animal in the zodiac. The animals that come before them are the rat, the ox, and the tiger. The animals that come after them are dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig.
Famous People Born in the Year of the Rabbit
- Albert Einstein
- Michael Jordan
- David Beckham
- Jeff Bezos
- Sally Ride
- Michelle Obama
- Queen Victoria
- Coretta Scott King
© 2022 Adele Jeunette