Adele has been a youth services librarian for 25 years and a mother to a daughter from China for 20 years.
Year of the Tiger in the Chinese Zodiac
In 2022, the Chinese New Year begins on Tuesday, February 1. It is designated as the Year of the Tiger.
People born in the Year of the Tiger are said to be brave, courageous, and strong – as you would expect from an animal as dominant as the tiger. They are competitive, fearless about trying things that are new, and tend to stick to any projects that they have started. They are charming and well-liked by others. On the other hand, they can be domineering, opinionated, and unpredictable.
The tiger is the third animal in the Chinese Zodiac, and every 12th year is named for this fierce and hard-working animal.
Celebrate the Year of the Tiger with These Educational Coloring Sheets
All these printable Year of the Tiger coloring sheets are designed for children, including preschoolers, kindergarteners, and elementary school kids. The tiger images are sourced from media sharing sites like Pixabay or have been purchased under license from istock.com. You may print them for personal, classroom, or library use, but not for commercial use.
A note about the Chinese characters you see: the Chinese character on the lanterns in the illustrations is the character for "tiger." The Chinese phrases read "Happy New Year!" You will see the phrase spelled out in pinyin (which is a system that uses English letters to indicate how the words are pronounced) and then the phrase is repeated using Chinese characters.
If you search “Adele Jeunette” and “Year of the Tiger” on the internet, you will find additional articles with educational printables including lanterns, lucky red envelopes, bookmarks, and other craft projects.
Year of the Tiger Coloring Sheets: Landscape Orientation
The first 15 coloring sheets are in landscape orientation. Click on the thumbnail pictures below, and you will see a larger sample of each type of coloring sheet that is available. If you prefer portrait orientation coloring pages, you’ll want to scroll down to the next link.
Read More From Holidappy
Year of the Tiger Coloring Sheets: Portrait Orientation
These next 15 coloring sheets are in portrait orientation. Click on the thumbnail pictures below, and you will see a larger sample of each type of coloring sheet that is available. If you need landscape orientation coloring pages, you’ll want to scroll up to the previous link.
Portrait Orientation Coloring Pages
Sample Finished Coloring Sheets
Additional Facts About the Year of the Tiger
- Generally, the years designated as Years of the Tiger include 1938, 1950, 1962, 1986, 1998, 2010, and 2022, calculated according to a lunar calendar, the first day of the new year changes each year. For instance, a baby born in 2022 but before February 1 is still considered as being born in the previous zodiac year, the Year of the Ox.
- The recommended occupations for Tigers are musician, comedian, writer, artist, pilot, actor, travel agent, politician, police officer, traveler, or explorer.
- In addition to celebrating the animals of the zodiac in a 12-year cycle, the Chinese also recognize 5 different sets of cycles: wood, fire, earth, gold, and water. 2022, for instance, is the year of the Water Tiger. Water Tigers have a strong sense of self-esteem and are quick learners, according to traditional Chinese lore.
- Tigers are most compatible with Dragons, Horses, or Pigs. However, they can clash with Oxen, Tigers, Snakes, or Monkeys.
- For Tigers, their lucky colors are blue, gray, and orange. Their lucky numbers are 1 and 3. They have lucky flowers, too: yellow lily and cineraria.
- The only animals that precede the tiger in the zodiac are the rat and the ox. The tiger is followed by the rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, goat, monkey, rooster, dog, and pig—in that order.
Famous People Born in the Year of the Tiger
- Sun Yat-sen
- Zhang Yimou
- Queen Elizabeth II
- Louis XIV
- Ludwig van Beethoven
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Tom Cruise
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Lady Gaga
- Fidel Castro
- Sean Mendez
- Joe DiMaggio
- Harper Lee
- Derek Jeter
- Steve Wozniak
© 2021 Adele Jeunette