Janelle has a degree in theology. She loves God first and also loves good, clean movies and music that inspires and helps people.
Giving thanks and developing a thankful heart and attitude have many benefits. The power of thanksgiving improves our physical health and state of mind, keeps us joyful, keeps our spirits lifted up high, keeps our hopes up, boosts our self-esteem, improves our relationships, and does so much for us.
Dr. P. Murali Doraiswamy, the head of biologic psychology at Duke University Medical Center, stated that "If [thankfulness] were a drug, it would be the world's best-selling product with a health maintenance indication for every major organ system." Let's take a look at some famous quotes on this topic.
About the Power of Giving Thanks
A life of being thankful keeps you from defeat, depression, discouragement, and despondency, and it brings transformation in the most normal days.
- "Gratitude can transform common days into thanksgivings, turn routine jobs into joy, and change ordinary opportunities into blessings." —William Arthur Ward
- "Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend." —Melody Beattle
- "When you are grateful - when you can see what you have—you unlock blessings to flow in your life." —Suze Orman
- "Gratitude bestows reverence, allowing us to encounter everyday epiphanies, those transcendent moments of awe that change forever how we experience life and the world." —John Milton
- "Develop an attitude of gratitude, and give thanks for everything that happens to you, knowing that every step forward is a step toward achieving something bigger and better than your current situation." —Brian Tracy
About Giving Thanks to God
Thanksgiving to God in the most challenging hard times can change our attitudes, our hearts, and our spirits.
- "Why should we give God thanks? Because everything we have comes from God. As you think about the future . . . give thanks and trust God . . . Even when life may be difficult, we should thank God for all He does for us—which we do not deserve." —Billy Graham
- "The very quality of your life, whether you love it or hate it, is based upon how thankful you are toward God. It is one's attitude that determines whether life unfolds into a place of blessedness or wretchedness.If you want to find joy, you must first find thankfulness. Indeed, the one who is thankful for even a little enjoys much. But the unappreciative soul is always miserable, always complaining. He lives outside the shelter of the Most High God.It does not matter what your circumstances are; the instant you begin to thank God, even though your situation has not changed, you begin to change. The key that unlocks the gates of heaven is a thankful heart. Entrance into the courts of God comes as you simply begin to praise the Lord." —Francis Frangipane
- "It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto your name, O Most High: To shew forth your lovingkindness in the morning, and your faithfulness every night, Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound." —Psalm 92:1-3; King James Bible
About the Importance of Giving Thanks to Others
Giving thanks to others, even for the smallest matter or thing, can put a smile on someone's face, bring encouragement, and make a difference in ways you might not even be aware of.
- "Make it a habit to tell people thank you. To express your appreciation, sincerely and without the expectation of anything in return. Truly appreciate those around you, and you'll soon find many others around you. Truly appreciate life, and you'll find that you have more of it." —Ralph Marston
- "In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit." —Albert Schweitzer
- "Because thankfulness is the tonic that always cures the cancers of greed, envy and jealously, it should be taken in liberal doses daily." —Craig D. Lounsbrough
- "The way to develop the best that is in a person is by appreciation and encouragement." —Charles Schwab
Children should give thanks to their parents for food, home, clothing, and many other things. Parents should thank teachers for giving their kids the gift of education. Husbands and wives should find things to thank each other daily. Bosses should express thanks to their staff for their diligent work. Church members should thank their pastors and leaders of the church for support, prayer, and leading them to God.
About the Results of Not Being Thankful
- "If a fellow isn't thankful for what he's got, he isn't likely to be thankful for what he's going to get." —Frank A. Clark
- "Life without thankfulness is devoid of love and passion. Hope without thankfulness is lacking in fine perception. Faith without thankfulness lacks strength and fortitude. Every virtue divorced from thankfulness is maimed and limps along the spiritual road." —John Henry Jowett
- "Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things." —Bible; Romans 1:21-23
In these Bible verses, we can see that not being thankful turns people into fools, their hearts are dark, they become vain in their thinking and much more disastrous results. A life without a grateful heart daily can leave one hopeless, grumbling, moody, complaining, angry, discontented, and depressed. Let's choose to be thankful for everything we have, even hard times.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2016 Pennington
Pennington (author) from Africa on March 07, 2018:
Thanks for stopping to read my article. I appreciate your comment.
Gregory DeVictor from Pittsburgh, PA on February 24, 2018:
Fantastic and exceptionally well-written and organized article. (I was also impressed with your use of the ellipsis.) I have heard it said many times that it is impossible for us to be depressed if we are full of gratitude. I spend quality time every day being thankful for every little thing in my life. It works wonders. I especially like the quote by Alan Cohen.
Pennington (author) from Africa on February 24, 2018:
Thank you for your comment.
aditya walke on February 24, 2018:
thank u so much...for collection of this great thanksgiving quotes....tysm
Pennington (author) from Africa on November 29, 2016:
I absolutely agree with you, azviews. Thanks for reading my hub and for your great comment.
azviews on November 29, 2016:
Being thankful is very important in all areas of one's life. The most meaningful sermon I ever heard on this topic, preached that God is Not Santa Claus. The gist was that instead of constantly asking God and those around us for the things we want, we should remember to express gratitude and thanksgiving for all we have.
Pennington (author) from Africa on November 26, 2016:
Thanks MsDora. I appreciate you reading my hub and your comment as well.
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on November 26, 2016:
Thanks, Janelle. I know first hand the power of gratitude. Thanks for these reinforcements.
Pennington (author) from Africa on November 23, 2016:
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on November 22, 2016:
I Tweeted! A great time of the year.