Reasons Why Autumn Is the Best Season
Fall is my favorite season. Who doesn't enjoy observing the leaves from the trees and plants changing into multi-colored works of art before finally falling away. The bare and vulnerable branches that are created reveal the true and beautiful scenery underneath. There are many reasons why I love fall and why I think it's the best season, but here are just a few.
The Trees Change Color
In the southern part of the United States, all the seasons are very apparent. The spring season is very green, the summer is very hot, the winter is very cold and the fall is full of magnificent colors.
The maple trees are especially vibrant with colors of red and golden-yellow and combinations of both. When I was younger, we called them "tree stars," a reference to the movie "The Land Before Time." To this day, they are my favorite trees when the season changes.
This season is perfect for taking beautiful scenic photos and spending time outdoors. Nothing can relax and rejuvenate you more than enjoying nature and its surrounding scenery.
The Weather Is Perfect
Autumn is the "cooling off" month right between the blazing summer and chilling winter. When the cooler temperatures of fall start rolling in, saying goodbye to summer is not hard to do. Autumn is a great time to break out the jackets, coats, boots, scarves and hats in preparation for the change in season.
It's also the perfect time to start making hot cocoa and lighting a fire in the fireplace. This season creates the perfect setting for a sense of comfort, warmth and reflection.
It's also great time to go camping, fishing, to go on a road trip or anything else where you can spend quality time with family while eating good food.
The Low Sun in the Early Morning
While 4:00 pm sunsets aren't everyone's cup of tea, daylight savings time offers stunning views of the sun in the sky during daybreak. The glitter of frost or rain from the night before is always a beautiful site. Did I mention how perfect the lighting is for the all important selfie after that early morning run? And who didn't enjoy that extra hour of rest on the first morning of daylight savings?
Fall Is Full of Family Holidays
Autumn is a part of of the jam-packed holiday season. There's the back-to-school rush, Halloween, and Thanksgiving before rolling into winter and Christmas.
And these aren't just regular old holidays. These are all very involved, family-centered holidays. Autumn is the season to be thankful and to be surrounded by the people you love. It's the perfect time to change up your decorations by adding orange, red and yellow colors and to pull out the spice-scented candles.
The holiday season encourages you to spend time thinking about what you and your family have been through in the last year as well as the memories you've made together while looking forward to a new and exciting year.
Another reason I love the holidays is for the food. You generally won't eat nearly as good as you do during this season in comparison to the rest of the year.
Fall Seasonal Shopping
During the fall you can expect to see your favorite stores load up their inventory with themes related to this time of year. Everything from pumpkin-flavored pies and Starbucks drinks to apple ciders and new fragrances and clothes hit the shelves. Below are a few fall essentials that you shouldn't be caught without.
Must-Have Shopping Essentials
Flannel Shirts. Although they exhibit year-round versatility, flannels are a fall staple.
Lotion. Cold weather means dry skin. Counter the elements with yummy, seasonal scents.
Soup. When is there better time of year to eat soup (besides winter)?
Cold Weather Boots. Everyone needs a go-to pair of boots that are not only fashionable, but can tackle any ice, rain, or chilly weather.
Items on Discount in the Fall
Whether stores are attempting to clear inventory for new models or get rid of items that were essential during summer, fall provides an opportunity to save big on the following purchases:
- Patio Furniture
Some of the Worst Things About Fall
What's the good without the bad? Both fall-lovers and haters alike can agree on these points about the worst things that the fall seasons brings . . .
- Shorter days. Feeling like it's 9:00 pm at 5:00 pm isn't all that it is cracked out to be.
- The influx of scary movies. At least the new Halloween movie broke records.
- Layering. But you like being cozy and bundled up, you say. What about the extra laundry though?
- Raking leaves. Someone out there feels my pain on this one.
- Winter creeps in. And suddenly it's freezing.
Profound Symbolism Associated With Fall
Underneath the surface of all the obvious reasons we love fall lie those more subtle associations rooted in science, ancient tradition, and astrology.
- Balance. The Fall Equinox represents the balance between the seasons as well as the balance between light and dark. Fall provides an opportunity for us to balance ourself with our earth.
- Change. In tandem with spring, fall is a part of a beautiful cycle of loss, regeneration and regrowth. The dead leaves and branches on the ground disintegrate and become part of the soil, acting as seeds and fertilizer later once the cold welcomes the warmer weather.
- Conservation. Farmers and critters alike work tirelessly during this time of year to protect the basic necessities of life. We as people also work to preserve our comfy abodes like the animals do with their hibernation spaces.
Fall Brings Back Memories
Fall was my mother's favorite season. Every year it creates a flood of memories when it rolls around while reminding me of the beautiful person she was.
She used to quote this poem from Dixie Willson all the time, but even more so when the autumn was in full swing.
It's one of the many things I learned from her when I was young—that poems have a way of capturing your soul and uncovering a deeper connection within yourself.
Her demeanor changed when the weather started getting cooler as she would spend more and more time outdoors. She had a sense of peace and thankfulness that I hope to convey to those around me.
Of course, we all have different memories scattered throughout different parts of the year, but it seems like those colorful memories from fall can be relived the truest.
"The Mist and All": A Fall Poem
I like the fall,
The mist & all.
I like the night owl's
And wailing sound
Of wind around.
I like the gray
And bare, dead boughs
That coldly sway
Against my pane.
I like the rain.
I like to sit
And laugh at it
My cozy fire a bit.
I like the fall
The mist and all.
Fall Season Quotes
- "Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." —Albert Camus
- "Autumn... the year's last, loveliest smile." —William Cuellen Bryant
- "Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all." —Stanley Horowitz
- "Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns." —George Eliot
- "Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall." —F. Scott Fitzgerald