Rock N Roll Halloween: Make Kiss-Themed Pumpkins Using Templates
Have a Rockin' Halloween This Year
If you want to bring a little Rock N Roll to Halloween this year, then these Kiss-inspired pumpkin carving templates are sure to take the center stage in your Halloween decorations. Kiss, with their distinctive face make up and crazy stage performances (including fire breathing, blood-spitting, smoking guitars, shooting rockets, levitating drum kits, and pyrotechnics), is a band that always evoked the Halloween spirit. So why not make this iconic American Rock group part of your Halloween look this year? Parents and kids alike are sure to love your Kiss-inspired pumpkins!
How to Print and Resize the Templates from an Apple Computer
- First save the image as a JPEG or PDF file by right clicking (or clicking with two fingers) on the image and selecting Save Image As…
- Open the file using Preview, Mac’s default image-viewing program.
- Select File, then select Print from the drop-down menu or ⌘P. If you don't see the option to change the scale of your image, click on Show Details.
- Now you should be able to change the orientation and scale of the image to make it fit the size of your pumpkin.
- Press Print once you are satisfied with the new dimensions.
How to Transfer the Template and Carve Your Pumpkin
Materials and Tools:
- fresh pumpkin
- printed out templates (See instructions above)
- carving tools or knife
- large spoon or small pumpkin carving scraper
- Large bowl for the pumpkin guts
- Wooden skewer, nail, needle, or some other sharp object (some pumpkin carving kits also come with template wheels)
- Sharpie (optional)
- Candle or small light
- Long grill lighter
- Cut a hole in the pumpkin's top around the stem. Make sure to cut the top out at an angle with the hole being widest on the pumpkin’s surface and narrowest toward the inside of the pumpkin. This is done to ensure that the lid does not fall into the pumpkin once it is cut. Also make sure to make the hole big enough to easy fit your hands inside.
- Using your large spoon or scraper, remove the seeds from inside the pumpkin and place them into the bowl. When scraping the sides, try not to make any one part too thin.
- Scrap inside the bottom of the pumpkin to ensure that it is flat enough to place a candle or small light without it falling over.
- Grab your printed templates.
- Before transferring your template onto the pumpkin, tape your printed template to your pumpkin with the printed side facing away from the pumpkin’s surface.
- Transfer the pattern by poking small holes into the pumpkin’s surface every centimeter or less.
- Once the design has been transferred, remove the tape and paper to reveal the dotted outline you have made. If you want extra guidance before you carve, you may want to connect the dots with a sharpie to better reveal the pattern. Remember that the surface of the pumpkin will be slightly damp so the sharpie may not work well.
- Using your knife or carving tools, cut out the design. When carving, remember the following: try to cut the design at a slight angle such that the outer surface of the pumpkin is the narrowest part and the inner part is the widest. This will insure that you can easily push the cut-out chunks into the pumpkin and that the light from your candle will be able to easily shine through the cut-out portions. When cutting a large section you may want to cut it out in smaller chunks to avoid accidentally tearing the pumpkin when pushing the cut-out portion. Remember that the black portions of the templates are negative space to be cut out and that the white is positive space to be kept.
- Remove the cut out parts from the center of the pumpkin.
- Place a candle or small light inside the pumpkin. If using a candle, light it using a long grill lighter.
- Enjoy your rockin’ pumpkin decorations!
Who is your favorite KISS member?See results without voting
More by this Author
In the spirit of the upcoming spooky holiday season, here are some great and easy DIY costumes for your dog this Halloween that hopefully won’t end up shredded on the floor.
No comments yet.