Blake started out scribbling in cards over 30 years ago. Though his handwriting is mostly unchanged, the content has improved.
Valentine's Day Card Messages
Whether you have been married for years or it is your first Valentine's Day with your special someone, figuring out what to write in a card can be challenging. The fact that you are looking for ideas means you care a lot about what you say. Your valentine will appreciate the time, thought, and creativity put into your romantic message.
You still love me despite my faults. This Valentine's Day I am feeling as much gratitude as I am love.
Romantic Valentine's Day Messages
Use the following general Valentine's Day messages to help you get an idea of what to write for your sweetheart. These can make a good start to your card. You can use them as-is, or combine and adapt them to make your own unique message. Add the details to personalize one a bit more.
- I love loving you. Happy Valentine's Day!
- I have superb taste. I picked a good one. You have superb taste because you got me what I wanted, you.
- I don't just love you. I love that I get to have you as my Valentine.
- I want to let you know that I want you to be my Valentine. Again!
- Cupid shot well for me! He hit you and me with perfect aim.
- Happy Valentine's Day. May God bless you with his unfailing love.
- As busy as we get, we need to be reminded that we are still sweethearts. Valentine's Day is a good day for me to stop and realize how wonderful you make me feel.
- I cherish the time that we spend together and know that you are a great Valentine.
- I like all the ways that we hang out together, even when were mad. And I like the things that are not appropriate for a greeting card.
- Whether Valentine's Day or not, I can't think of anyone I would rather spend a day with.
- Be mine, forever.
- Valentines Day is much more fun when I get to spend it with you.
- Thank you for letting me have such a wonderful person as my Valentine this year.
- I couldn't think of anything better to write in your card than the truth. I love you!
- I don't know how to write great messages in cards, but I want to let you know how special you are to me. You are awesome!
- Happy Valentine's day to the sweetest valentine I could want. You are my sweetheart, and I am glad you're mine.
- Our love is like a romance movie, but the best part is that it never ends.
- If you were blue and I was red, we'd both be purple all the time.
- Please excuse my lack of the right words and all the other inadequacies that you overlook in order to love me as I am.
- Our love goes through seasonal changes. Without Winter, we'd never get to enjoy the Spring flowers.
- There's no way you are ever getting rid of me as your Valentine this year or any other year.
- You are an exquisite being. I am awestruck and love-struck!
Funny Valentines Day Wishes
- Valentine's Day is my favorite day to buy you chocolates. This way I can get you exactly what you expect me to know not to get you, since it's too predictable. So that makes it a great surprise!
- I guess we have to act like we like each other since it's Valentine's Day. To tell you the truth, I don't mind too much.
- Russell Stover, Hallmark, and the local flower shop would like to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day. I'm just delivering their gifts.
- I worked hard trying to think of what to write in your card. Then I just 'googled' it.
- The only reason I celebrate Valentine's Day is to keep it from turning into sleep-on-the-couch night.
- I love you a lot, especially when you aren't annoying me to death. Happy Valentines Day.
- Most people don't know this, but "Happy Valentine's Day" spelled backwards is "Yad Senitnelav Yppah," which means "You Stupid Sucker" in Cherub language. Cupid told me."
- Roses are red, violets are blue. Happy Valentines Day. I love this really cool person with a great smile, cool personality, and a sense of humor. Too bad it isn't you. Just kidding.
- We have many Valentines Days under our belts... literally and figuratively. I guess the chocolates add up over time. Happy Valentine's Day, and another one under our belts.
- I'm wishing you a happy Valentine's Day, because it's the only way I'll have a happy Valentine's day.
- I can't think of any reasons to not love you.
- I have the gas. You give me the wood. And our love is the spark. We are one hot couple!
- You are the butter to my toast.
- I think cuss words should be reserved to express stong emotions. That's why I'd like to tell you that you are one 'D#&%' gorgeous babe.
- You can call me Charlie, because I have a golden ticket to your heart.
What Not to Write in a Valentine's Day Carde
- Don't get any fatter than you already are eating this chocolate.
- I hope you like this card. I got it really cheap, because I bought in bulk. It turns out I had a lot of Valentine's cards to give to all my girlfriends.
- I don't want to be your boyfriend any more.
- If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have to waste so much money on a ridiculous card holiday.
- Let's get this Valentine's Day over with so we can go back to being jerks to each other.
- You are in my top ten for the most pretty Valentine's Day girlfriends I've had in the past.
Tips for Writing Romantic Messages
- Make your message fit your relationship. Send a friend message to a friend, and a lover message to a lover. Be humorous if you think it will be received well. But if you are unsure, it is best to be serious.
- After you write you Valentine message, wait until the next day to see if you still like it. Chances are if you still do like it, it's really good. If not, you can fix it.
- Add any details or creativity you can. For example, you can add a poem or a story. Use descriptive words to describe everything. This will make the message more meaningful and interesting. For example, instead of saying simply: "I love you," say, "You make my life more beautiful." Write a love poem if you can.
- Use quotes from the Bible or another source. You have the added benefit of heightening your message of love by making it more spiritual. You can use Biblical references such as 1 Corinthians 13, or you can use Song of Solomon for some steamy lines.
- Use descriptive adjectives to describe your love, your relationship, and your special person. Adjectives that are unique are best. Words like exquisite are better than "nice" or "good." Here are just a few to get you started: incredible, fascinating, stunning, unbelievable.
Tell Us What You Wrote
Marlene Bertrand from USA on February 12, 2015:
These are all such wonderful ideas. Your hub is a great tool to help people write the perfect message on their Valentine's Day cards.
Christina on February 07, 2015:
Roses are red violets are blue
I love you forever
Read More From Holidappy
Be my valentine too
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on February 01, 2015:
You are welcome. I hope you have a great V-Day this year!
abbie on February 12, 2013:
I love number five in the funny valentine day card messages. I hope my boyfriend loves it too! Thanx Blake flannery I couldn't have figured out what to write without this website!
Tol on April 02, 2012:
Here is part of a poem I'm writing for my boyfriend Paddy:
Why I love you
You have the most amazing smile I have ever seen and your eyes sparkle like diamonds under an endless ray of the sun
P.S. I like the one that says:
Roses are red, violets are blue, Happy Valentines day, I love this really cool person with a great smile, cool personality, a sense of humor, and it isn't you. Just kidding.
Vincent on February 15, 2012:
The truth, I love you.
Meeee ! on February 13, 2012:
Thanks for the help !
mp Thoyyib on February 12, 2012:
''I can't think of any reasons to not love you''
Blake Flannery (author) from United States on February 05, 2012:
I love that you love the 'I love loving you' one that you called the 'I love you thing'... that's a lot of love.
kimberly on February 05, 2012:
Hey i love the i love you thing
Charlotte Tilley age 11 on February 03, 2012:
i agree, but i think my best one is the first one because its short but it will mean a lot to my boy friend. i don't want it too long, but i don't want it too short. xx
TheMonk from Brazil on July 06, 2011:
Number 16 is the best! Thanks for the hub!