What to Write in a Father's Day Card for Your Stepdad
How you choose to acknowledge your stepfather on Father's Day depends on the relationship you have with him, how often you see him, or how long he has been in your life. If you aren’t sure what to write in a card, you could start by acknowledging your stepfather's important role in your life. Here are some suggestions.
What to Write to Your Stepdad
- Our lives have been blessed since that day you met Mom. Thanks for being such an important part of our lives!
- Thank you so much for what you do for our family. You have always been there to offer your unconditional love, support, and encouragement. You are a fantastic stepfather!
- I know I don't say this often enough, but I want you to know that you are an important part of my life. I am lucky to have such a funny, kind, generous, and wise stepfather!
- Thank you for being a role model to me and my brothers and sisters. You have shown us what it means to be someone who gives his very best to his family each and every day!
- I had no idea when I first met you how easy it would be to get to love you the way a son or daughter loves his/her father.
- Thanks for 'signing up' to be my stepfather. I know it isn't always easy for us to see eye-to-eye, but I can't imagine where my mom and I would be without all the love and support you have given us.
- Thanks for looking out for us, like a true father should. You have filled a hole in my life that I thought would always be empty.
- You've always been my dad! Happy Father's Day to an amazing stepfather!
Picking out a Card
Once you've decided what you want to write in your Father's Day card, it's time to pick out your card. If you feel comfortable giving your stepdad a store-bought card with just the words "Dad" or "Father" on it and no reference to stepfather or step dad, then you'll have plenty of cards to choose from at any grocery store, card shop, or dollar store. You may even be able to find a Father's Day card with "Stepdad" or "Stepfather" printed on it, but you probably won't have many options to choose from.
Here's a better idea: give you stepfather a handmade Father's Day card and then write your personalized message on the inside. Check out the video tutorial on how to make a super cute card shaped like a shirt and tie.
If you still can't decide on a suitable card greeting, here are a few writing prompts that might help:
- Write about anything that you remember from the first time you met your stepfather? What were your first impressions of him? Did they change as you got to know him?
- Tell your stepdad three things that you like about him or that you enjoy doing with him. Do you go fishing together? Does he always show up and cheer for you from the sidelines at soccer practice? Does he make the world's best pancakes on Sunday mornings? Find just a few things that you like about your stepfather and tell him! After all, Father's Day is about giving thanks, and your stepdad deserves a big high-five too!
- Share how your mom's life changed after she met your stepfather.
- Write about some family-oriented things that you want to do together with your stepfather, like going on a vacation, having a big barbecue, etc.
- Tell him about a special skill or talent that your stepfather has that you would like to learn from him (e.g. how to barbeque a steak to perfection, refinish a piece of furniture, tell a joke, or get the best deal on a used car).
Here's another suggestion: a quote on fatherhood from his favorite author, movie star, comedian, or world leader. Find a quote about the characteristics and qualities you admire in your stepfather.
What do you call your stepfather?
What does your family usually do for dinner on Father's Day?
Do you see your stepfather on Father's Day?
© 2015 Sadie Holloway