Samantha Harris is very interested in the Chinese zodiac, and she enjoys sharing information about it.
The dragon is the only mythical creature in the Chinese zodiac. As such, dragon years are considered very special. Opportunities are in abundance during this year, and those that are able to make the best of them are promised wealth and good fortune. It is a great year to try new things and conquer the impossible.
Be wary, though, as many opportunities can lead to devastating failures during this year as well if handled too impulsively.
16 Feb, 1904 - 3 Feb, 1905
3 Feb, 1916 - 22 Jan, 1917
23 Jan, 1928 - 9 Feb, 1929
8 Feb, 1940 - 26 Jan, 1941
27 Jan, 1952 - 13 Feb, 1953
13 Feb, 1964 - 1 Feb, 1965
31 Jan, 1976 - 17 Feb, 1977
17 Feb, 1988 - 5 Feb, 1989
5 Feb, 2000 - 23 Jan, 2001
23 Jan, 2012 - 9 Feb, 2013
10 Feb, 2024 - 28 Jan, 2025
- Dragons are the commanders of their own destiny. They are confident and self-assured and hate others telling them what to do. They often seem arrogant, pushy, and loud, but they are really just proud of themselves, strong-willed, and more than a little restless at times.
- Dragons draw attention wherever they go—they just have naturally magnetic personalities that draw others in. Their lively and exciting flair keeps the crowds that surround them interested. Watch out, though. Dragons have a short fuse and are quick to breathe fire. They can be painfully blunt and impatient with others.
- Above all else, Dragons value honesty—over faithfulness, over dependability, over everything—as long as you're honest with a Dragon, they will respect you and be willing to work through anything. The dragon's value of honesty is the main reason they are so blunt. They believe everyone should be willing to say it like it is.
- However, when their bluntness leads to hurt feelings, they are quick to apologize and do whatever they can to mend things. Underneath the dragon's confident exterior is a being that is desperate for love and approval and who hates seeing others hurt.
- Since truth is more valuable than gold to dragons, you should never ever try to lie to them. Dragons have a keen sense of who is real and who is fake. Dragons can also sometimes be too trusting, expecting others to have the same moral codes and appreciation for honesty as they do. When scorned, a dragon has a difficult time forgiving.
- Dragons are very decisive, and—when they know what they want—they want it then and there. Patience is not the dragon's strong suit. Making a dragon wait too long to get what they want can lead to some dramatic consequences. Once a dragon has made up their mind, it is impossible to change it until they've seen it through to the end—or has grown tired of the idea—whichever comes first.
- Dragons are dedicated and hardworking individuals. Once they have taken up a cause, they are unstoppable in their mission to succeed. They enjoy working at a fast pace, and once they have taken on a project, they will work on it non-stop for long periods of time without rest. However, they do not do well working on a schedule, so projects are often left incomplete in favor of starting something new.
- If you can focus on the dragon's impulsive nature, you will have a dedicated, innovative worker who can solve any problem in the most unconventional ways.
- They are also great listeners, and—though they like to talk a lot about themselves—they are also very insightful.
- Filled with a youthful spirit, dragons tend to hang out with younger crowds. They take a little while to warm up to people, but once they do, they are non-stop chatterboxes. Dragons like to keep a few close friends that they are loyal to but attract many acquaintances.
- Best Matches: Tiger, Rabbit, Snake, Monkey
- Good Matches: Rat, Goat, Pig
- Worst Matches: Dragon, Dog
- Best Matches: Rat, Tiger, Monkey, Rooster, Pig
- Good Matches: Rabbit, Horse
- Worst Matches: Ox, Dog
Dragons in Relationships
Dragons do not easily get jealous. They have no need for it since they are surrounded by willing suitors.
When a dragon falls in love, their partner becomes their whole world. In the dragon's mind, their partner is pure perfection and can do no wrong. Dragons love with all their heart, body, and soul. So when a dragon is betrayed, they become devastated.
Dragons do not easily forgive those who have hurt them. They don't do well pretending they like someone, either. If a dragon doesn't like you, it will be so apparent you can feel it in their stare.
Dragons do well in politics, teaching/counseling, and sales/advertising jobs.
Dragons and Money
Dragons are very lucky when it comes to money. In the most mysterious of ways, wealth just seems to fall into their lap.
Even still, dragons are very hard workers with high standards for themselves, their work, and everyone around them. Their ambition, logic, and organization make them exceptional leaders in any circumstance. They are innovative thinkers, so they aren't afraid to try out ridiculous ideas to find a solution when faced with the problem.
This dragon's ambition is matched only by its lack of tact. Metal dragons are fiercely optimistic, hard-working, energetic, and live for a worthy challenge. They won't stop until they've reached one of two extremes; either they become extremely successful--or they fail miserably. They are well-liked by others but have terrible tempers. They are also more prone to jealousy than other dragons--which can ultimately ruin relationships. Metal dragons do best in careers dealing with business, such as banking or international affairs. Since they soak up information like a sponge, they are also great researchers.
The water dragon is the comedian of the bunch with a great sense of humor and joyful personality. They are very loving and romantic and look for someone they can spend their life with in people they date. Water dragons are very curious by nature and enjoy reading as much as they can. Water dragons are full of "why?"s and won't stop until they get answers. Genuinely caring individuals, they spend a lot of their time checking in on loved ones. Water dragons like to keep busy with many jobs. They enjoy writing, working with animals, and anything that allows them to be social.
Wood dragons are visionaries with a bold sense of style and are often full of wild, unconventional ideas. Wood dragons work very well with others and have one of the warmest, most inviting personalities yet. They are contemplative thinkers, who don't always make a lot of sense (at least, not to others), but others are happy to follow them anyway since they are so responsible. Wood dragons do well in careers related to art and in counseling positions where they can share long, thoughtful conversations with others.
These strong-willed dragons tend to like to work solo over mingling with a group. They are very creative, artistic, adventurous, and live for a great challenge--especially if the task at hand is a big one. Their eccentric nature and air of arrogance make them very intimidating. However, they care deeply for their friends and families and are fantastic partners. Unlike other dragons, they are willing to admit to their mistakes. They do well in positions where they must work on large challenging projects. They also need a job that will earn them a hefty income because they love to spend, spend, spend!
Earth dragons are a bit more reserved than the others, opting for internal reflection over external chattering. Money means very little to this dragon, but freedom to do what they want is everything. Earth dragons are very well-liked by others and, as a result, are greatly supported by others when it comes to pursuing their dreams. This dragon is particularly blessed with luck in money. They are the romantic type and love having a partner they can look after, but can be a bit unfaithful. Earth dragons have a strong desire to help others, so they excel in careers that allow them to do so in any way.
Rosemary Amrhein on August 29, 2013:
Such an amazing hub! Fits me to a tee practically!
Better Yourself from North Carolina on August 29, 2013:
Congrats on HOTD! Very interesting info. I am not a 'dragon' but it was fun to learn about it.
Samantha Harris (author) from New York on August 25, 2013:
Thank you all for your encouragement! I'm glad you enjoyed this hub. I will be finishing the rest of the signs very soon, so if the Chinese zodiac interests you be on the look out :)
Dragonazz on August 24, 2013:
I spit hot fire.
cheeluarv from INDIA on August 22, 2013:
congrats for hub of the day.Interesting hub about Chinese astrology,but none of my close related, fall in this category.
bradley brown from Harrow Middlesex on August 22, 2013:
Really nice read, i do find astronomy very interesting Chinese zodiac signs.
Isabella Mukanda from Fort Myers on August 21, 2013:
Very interesting and well written article. It made for great reading. Who does not like to tap into their personality or that of someone close? I really enjoyed this one, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of all the personalities I have read about with different names. Human beings are complex beings and it is refreshing to know that we are all a package, though not pure, we have a lot of certain things that distinguish us from others.
brownella from New England on August 21, 2013:
Great hub. I've never been into astronomy but apparently I am an "earth dragon" and the description fits pretty well. Interesting topic, thanks for sharing :)
Kathryn from Windsor, Connecticut on August 21, 2013:
Congrats on HOTD! I always enjoy seeing people I follow win it!
This is a cool topic, and you wrote about it just in-depth enough to be fascinating. Thanks for sharing this with us, and have a great night.
Janet Giessl from Georgia country on August 21, 2013:
Congrats on the HOTD! You really deserved it. I have always been fascinated by the Chinese zodiac. My daughter was born last year. So she is a water dragon. She already shows the characteristics you described for a water dragon. That's so great. Very interesting and well-written hub!
WhiteMuse on August 21, 2013:
I like dragons. I have been trying to learn more about them. This was interesting but I don't know if I would really like them around. Maybe I have already.
rose-the planner from Toronto, Ontario-Canada on August 21, 2013:
Congratulations on HOTD, well deserved! It's as though this was written just for me, lol! I am a Generation X child born in 1964 so I am a wood dragon and this article describes me exactly. I am also a Pisces which surprisingly has many of the same characteristics as the Dragon. I have several Asian friends that get a kick out of the fact that I was born in the year of the dragon which is extremely significant to the Asian community. To top it all off, my better half was born in the Year of The Tiger. Now that's a match, lol!!!! Great article! Thank you for sharing. (Voted Up)
Karen A Szklany from New England on August 21, 2013:
So, so so so loved this hub! Thank you. I think I am mostly an Earth dragon, even though my birth year indicates wood. That's okay, though. We can grow through identifying with various elements, I'm sure.
Voted Up, up, up, and shared!
Samantha Harris (author) from New York on August 21, 2013:
Oh thank you both! I'll be getting the rest of the zodiac finished soon I hope. :)
Suzanne Ridgeway from Dublin, Ireland on August 21, 2013:
Delighted on your HOTD, read the other ones and love this series you have going! great info and interesting, think I am a snake and waiting for MJ's as did not see him feature yet. Nice job as always, voted up, useful, interesting and shared.
DreamerMeg from Northern Ireland on August 21, 2013:
My little granddaughter is a water dragon. It will be interesting to see whether this fits her as she grows. She definitely loves books already.
Samantha Harris (author) from New York on August 02, 2013:
I'm actually an Earth dragon and I definitely fit the type--but when it comes to fidelity it really comes down to respect. A dragon will never do to someone what they wouldn't want done to them and we really do get very upset when we hurt someone (just going by myself and all the earth dragons I know). So I think that if an earth dragon knew their partner would be really hurt by it they wouldn't do it. We also fall I love hard so once that happens we are so loyal! Well--at least I am :)
Dora Weithers from The Caribbean on August 02, 2013:
If I could fix the fidelity button on the Earth dragon, he'd be my choice. Thanks for your informative and interesting presentation. Voted Up!
Nasiba on August 01, 2013:
It was very interesting and useful and very,very true but there were certain things that were hurtfull but true.