Lighted Witch Centerpiece Craft
Making a Halloween Witch Light
A 20-light string of clear Christmas lights changes this cute little witch into a bewitching, de-lightful decoration.
A clear glass vase is decoupaged with colored tissue paper to give a textured surface for the witch's face. Black felt is used for the witch's hat, and green felt for her nose.
A strip of burlap forms a collar at the bottom of the vase. Black paint is used to paint the eyes and mouth of the witch. Finish your light by inserting the string of clear lights and gluing or placing the hat on the witch. Turn on the lights to give your witch a be-witching glow.
- 7 1/2" clear glass vase
- Orange and yellow tissue paper
- White glue
- Paint brush
- Felt: Black, white, green and orange
- Clear string lights (20 lights)
- Hot glue
- Burlap, strings pulled and tied in half bow
- (Change the colors of any or all the supplies to suit your choices)
Step One: Decoupage Vase With Tissue Paper
- Cut squares of yellow and orange tissue paper.
- Dilute white glue with an equal amount of water.
- With a brush, spread the glue mixture on a portion of the vase, place a square of tissue paper over the portion and reapply the glue over the tissue.
- Continue by applying glue mixture and pieces of tissue paper, overlapping the pieces to cover the entire vase. Let dry.
Step Two: Cutting the Felt
- On a 12" square of black felt measure and draw, from one corner, 12" to form an arc. Carefully glue one 12" side, overlap the other side by about an inch at the bottom to a fourth inch at the tip, forming the crown of the witch's hat.
- Cut an 8" or 9" circle from the black felt for the hat brim. Cut a 4 1/2" or 5" circle from the inside of the brim piece. Starting at the front, hot glue a section of the hat crown, turn the edge under and glue to the hat brim. Repeat gluing small sections and gluing till you have the crown glued to the brim.
- Cut two 2" x 12" strips of orange felt and glue together to make one long strip (this is too long, but you'll cut it.) Glue the center of the strip to the front of the hat, form around the hat crown and cut to fit. Where the strip overlaps in the back, trim off the area of the strip that overlaps the brim, this will make the back of the strip narrower than the front, but it will make the curve fit better.
- Cut a 2" square of white felt, cut a 1" piece out of the center of the square. Glue to the center of the orange hatband. Cut four 1/2" x 2" pieces of black felt and glue two on each side of the hat buckle.
Step Three: The Witch's Face
- Cut a nose shape out of the 1 1/2"x 3" piece of green felt. Add a black wart and glue to the front of the vase.
- Draw eyes and a mouth (with one tooth) on the vase, using the picture above as a guide. Glue raffia across the top and sides of the face.
- Make a bow from raffia strings and glue at the bottom of the vase. Arrange the string of clear white lights inside the vase allowing the cord and plug end to remain on the outside of the vase.
- Place and/or glue the witch's hat over the vase opening.
© 2012 Loraine Brummer