Jules Corriere is a playwright and theater director. She has written over 40 plays, one of which was performed at the Kennedy Center in D.C.
Dozens of the Best Irish Sayings
I'm one of the lucky lasses to claim an Irish heritage, and I like to share that heritage with everyone I can. So much of the culture revolves around stories and blessings. It isn't long after reading any number of famous Irish quotes, that the heart feels a little lighter and the eyes shine a little brighter. Here are some of my favorites. They make for a terrific Facebook status.
Favorite Irish Quotes
- "Thirst is a shameless disease, so here's to a shameful cure."
- "A man that can't laugh at himself should be given a mirror."
- "The devil invented Scotch Whiskey to make the Irish poor."
- "The Irish—be they kings, or poets, or farmers, they're a people of great worth, they keep company with the angels, and bring a bit of heaven here to earth."
- "Firelight will not let you read the stories, but it's warm, and you won't see the dust on the floor."
- "Character is better than wealth."
- "It is better to spend money like there is no tomorrow, than spend tonight like there is no money."
- "May you get all your wishes but one, so you have always something to strive for."
- "Here's to women's kisses, and to whiskey, amber clear. Not as sweet as a woman's kiss, but a darn sight more sincere!"
- "In slender currents comes good luck; in rolling torrents comes misfortune."
- "If you want praise, die. If you want blame, marry."
- "Better the coldness of a friend than the sweetness of an enemy."
- "Better to come in at the end of a feast than at the beginning of a fight."
- "May you die in bed at 95, shot by a jealous spouse."
- "It's as foolish to let a fool kiss you as it is to let a kiss fool you."
- "A friend's eye is the best mirror."
- "Be nice to them on the way up. You might meet them on the way down."
- "The tree remains. But not the hand that planted it."
- "Befriend who you wish but make sure you know what side your bread is buttered on."
- "There's no point in keeping a dog if you're going to do your own barking."
- "Better an ass that carries you than a fine horse that throws you."
- "Forsake not a friend of many years for the acquaintance of a day."
- "Let your anger set with the sun and not rise again with it."
- "An Irish man may not kiss his wife for 20 years, but will kill any man who does."
- "Courtship is the time when a girl decides whether she can do better or not."
- "What do you call an Irishman who knows how to control his wife? A bachelor."
- "A man takes a drink, the drink takes a drink, the drink takes the man."
- "A narrow neck keeps the bottle from being emptied in one swig."
- "Morning is the time to pity the sober. The way they're feeling then is the best they're going to feel all day."
- "Here's to absent friends. And here's twice to absent enemies."
- "Great Hate follows Great Love."
- "It is often that a person's mouth broke his nose."
- "You've got your own growing to do, no matter how tall your grandfather was."
- "May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks. May your heart be as light as a song. May each day bring you bright, happy hours that stay with you all the year long."
- "Continual cheerfulness is a sign of wisdom."
- "I believe in the sun when it's not shining, I believe in love even when I feel it not, I believe in God even when he is silent."
- "Who Gossips with you will gossip of you."
- "A good laugh and a log sleep are the two best cures."
- "Marry a mountain girl and you marry the whole mountain."
- "If you buy what you don't need, you might have to sell what you do."
- "Don't give cherries to pigs or advice to fools."
- "May misfortune follow you the rest of your life, and never catch up."
- "A silent mouth is sweet to hear."
- "Questioning is the door of knowledge."
- "When God made time, He made plenty of it."
- "Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth."
- "You never plow a field by turning it over in your mind."
- "A cabin with plenty of food is better than a hungry castle."
- "Seeing is believing, but feeling is the God's own truth."
- "There is no need like the lack of a friend."
- "Patience can conquer destiny."
- "Two-thirds of help is to give courage."
- "Forgetting a debt doesn't mean it's paid."
- "Here's to the light heart and the heavy hand."
- "Here's to wet nights and a dry morning."
- "May we always have a clean shirt, a clean conscience and a bob in the pocket."
- "May you be across heaven's threshold before the old boy knows you're dead."
- "May your home always be too small to hold all your friends."
- "Everyone's Irish on St. Patrick's Day!"
Do you have some favorite Irish Quotes that I missed? I'd love to hear from you.
AstroGremlin on November 03, 2012:
I love funny Irish toasts!
sheezie77 on June 10, 2012:
Very nice lens!
randomthings lm on June 01, 2012:
Very cool quotes. A good read.
zentao on April 07, 2012:
Haha! I have always loved these irish qoutes/toasts. Really great stuff! Thanks for sharing! Great lens
SophiaStar LM on March 29, 2012:
This is wonderful thank you! I agree that the Irish have so many great blessings, quotes and sayings:)
dahlia369 on March 24, 2012:
I like sayings, one can use them to update their Facebook status, as a positive affirmation, to write on a greeting card, and more. Thank you for collecting and sharing best of the Irish ones!! :)
siobhanryan on March 22, 2012:
This is a fantatic lens and you have the cream of Irish quotes
Stinkerbelle on March 18, 2012:
Great lens with some awesome quotes keep up the great squidding
WindyWintersHubs from Vancouver Island, BC on March 17, 2012:
"May a bit of heaven fall from out the sky above And make today a special day For you and those you love" ~glitter-graphics.com Happy St. Patrick's Day, Jules!
Virginia Allain from Central Florida on March 11, 2012:
I find some great Irish quotes on Zazzle products. You might want to feature some of those here.
This is great... I could put a new quote every day on Facebook until St. Patrick's Day. Fun
Kim from Yonkers, NY on March 11, 2012:
Of the few quotes I had time to read so far my fave is
A man that can't laugh at himself should be given a mirror.
I've included your lens on my Favorite Lenses lens & that quote in my status on FB
wilfredpadilla on March 11, 2012:
Great list of Quotes!
Monica Ranstrom on March 10, 2012:
How fun! Plan to use some on fb!
Fiona from South Africa on March 10, 2012:
I'm of Scottish descent but I know that the Irish were originally Scots or the other way round - I can never remember which.
anonymous on March 10, 2012:
thanks for some awesome quotes.
AbandonGames on March 10, 2012:
Great lense about irish quotes ..think i will use them too ,)
Stacy Birch on March 09, 2012:
Cool lens, I'm pretty Irish.
Barbara from USA on March 09, 2012:
I really wanted to stop by and say "Thank You" for the Angel blessing on my lens, Looking For Irish?!
Great lens you've got here and I love the photos.
Clairissa from OREFIELD, PA on March 09, 2012:
Love these quotes and will be using them for my status updates on FB. Thanks
wheresthekarma on March 08, 2012:
I will definitely be using some of these quotes!!! Cute lens!
hlkljgk from Western Mass on March 08, 2012:
thanks for the suggestions. happy st paddy's day!
JoshK47 on March 08, 2012:
Awesome quotes - thanks for sharing! :)
squid-pinkchic18 on March 08, 2012:
Fun lens!! I might have to use one of these for st pattys day :)
Brandi from Maryland on March 07, 2012:
I just added one to my FB status...Thanks! :)
LizRobertson on March 04, 2012:
Here's one in time for St. Paddy's Day from my lens party-like-the-irish-squire-on-st-pattys-day âThat the tap may be open when it rusts!â Cheers!
Joan Haines on March 03, 2012:
I have a good measure of Irish in me. Thanks for the Irish Facebook fodder!
John Dyhouse from UK on March 03, 2012:
I answered yes on your poll, but that is only because my wife's mother comes from Dublin.
A great list of quotes don't think I can add to it.
WriterJanis2 on March 03, 2012:
I'm part Irish. You have so many cool quotes here.
mrstwowheeljunkie on March 02, 2012:
Great Lens! My husband and I both are part Irish and very proud of it! We had fun reading all the great quotes!
sukkran trichy from Trichy/Tamil Nadu on March 01, 2012:
lovely quote collection. really enjoyed my visit. thanks
LouisaDembul on February 24, 2012:
Didn't know some of these quotes were Irish!
Edwardjames81 on February 22, 2012:
Some great quotes there - Have to bookmark this lens and come back later when I need to change a status.
KonaGirl from New York on February 21, 2012:
Fabulous idea for a lens. I don't do FB but being part Irish I love all the Irish quotes. I too will have to come back time and again to reread and to borrow a few from ya. *Squid Angel Blessed* and added to My Squid Angel Blessings 2012 to the "Holidays & Celebrations Â» Saint Patrick's Day" neighborhood.
Cheryl Kohan from England on February 20, 2012:
I love all of these quotes but my favorite is "Continual cheerfulness is a sign of wisdom". And I'm very Irish...born in Belfast, as a matter of fact
June Campbell from North Vancouver, BC, Canada on February 20, 2012:
This is a wonderful idea for a lens. Thanks for the quotes.
bames24 lm on February 19, 2012:
AlphaChic on February 19, 2012:
Seriously fun lens
hsschulte on February 19, 2012:
What a cute idea for a lens. I'll be coming back to borrow a quote on St. Patrick's day.
Lee Hansen from Vermont on February 18, 2012:
I'm a wee bit Irish on my father's side (grand mum was an Irish nurse from Boston). The quotes are wonderful, and give me inspiration for making new goodies for the upcoming holiday. Slainte!
anonymous on February 18, 2012:
I love the fun filled Irish quotes, you have quite a huge collection of them.
Michey LM on February 16, 2012:
Yes, on St Patric day everybody is a little Irish... and I love it!
Elsie Hagley from New Zealand on February 15, 2012:
Great quotes, yes I have a little bit of Irish in me, my grandmother's maiden name was Riley.
So appreciated this lens. Thanks. Blessed.
mumsgather on February 08, 2012:
I love quotes of any kind. :)
Lisa Marie Gabriel from United Kingdom on November 27, 2011:
Wonderful Irish quotes! Blessed today :)
Patricia on August 31, 2011:
Cool quotes! I am Irish. My great grandfather was full Irish and came to America from Ireland. My favorite quote or saying is "when Irish eyes are smiling" Blessing this lens!
poutine on August 24, 2011:
Thanks for Irish Quotes.
KimGiancaterino on August 22, 2011:
I'm Irish on my mom's side. She's used more than a few of these quotes over the years!
anonymous on August 20, 2011:
Lovely list of Irish quotations. Thanks for the fabulous share!
Alana-r on August 19, 2011:
Another born and bred Irish here, great list
Joy Lynskey from Vinton, Va on August 16, 2011:
Love this lens! I am a fellow Irish Gal!