How to Make a Paper Craft Holiday Ornament
Simple Picture Frame Ornaments
It is easy to make these lovely craft ornaments using a simple origami fold and a dab of glue. Children and adults will enjoy crafting these. Keep your young guests busy with a remembrance made at home.
Add a favorite picture and a length of ribbon, and your ornaments are complete. Glue a magnet on the back, change the paper motif, and make use of this charming paper craft all year long. Step-by-step photo instructions follow.
Supplies for Your Christmas Craft
- Printed Christmas-Themed Paper: Gather up wrapping paper, scrapbooking papers, list pads, or unused stationery for the laser printer.
- Ribbon: You can use anything that you may have around the house, such as wrapping ribbon, satin ribbon, fish line, elastic gold, or silver string.
- Handheld Hole Punch
The paper I am going to use for this demonstration is decorative printing stationery. You'll be cutting seven two-inch squares (see the illustrated instructions below). If you like, practice first with any paper you have around the house.
Craft DirectionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
One More Assembly Tip
When gluing the frame together, use this slight adjustment to get a flat-laying star. Join the area of the green dots closely together. The area with the red dots should overlap just a fraction, enough so one is set on the top of the other. You will see how these adjustments work after making a few.
Make a Magnet Star Frame
- Align and trace a photo and cut as in the step-by-step star frame instructions above.
- Cut thin strips of double-sided photo corners and press onto back of the star.
- A magnet could be placed on the back for the kitchen refrigerator, cooking hood, or any magnet-ready surface.
Out of Print Paper Folding Book Review
The paper fold pattern used in the tutorial is from an out of print publication. The book at left introduced me to tea bag folding. Our craft is shown at middle bottom on the cover. Pattern instructions are easy to follow, and there are many ideas and pages for exploring. If you want more to explore about tea bag folding, this book is a good choice. I have owned this craft book since 2003 and still refer to it for paper folding projects.
With this book you may get hooked on paper folding and dream up projects to make for years of enjoyment.
Use This Paper Folding Craft Any Time of the Year
These ornaments can be used for any holiday, depending on the paper motif you choose. Start folding frames for Valentine's Day. The frame can be used in the job cubicle, on the car dashboard, the home computer desk, or mailed in your Valentine.
Do you have any new ideas for the paper frame?
Questions & Answers
© 2010 Sherry Venegas