Paper Mache Clay Light Bulb Snowman and Santa
I’ve been having a great time making turkeys, snowmen, birds and chicks using paper mache clay. I saw a craft using a burned-out light bulb to make a snowman, so I decided that the light bulb would be a great armature for using paper mache clay.
In this article, I’ll tell you how I made the snowman and Santa using a light bulb and paper mache clay. This project is a lot easier than it may first appear, and trust me when I say that once you make one craft using this method, you’ll be hooked and look for more ideas about what to make.
- Light bulb
- Milk jug lid
- Masking tape
- Paper Mache Clay ingredients:
- Elmers Glue
- AllProForm joint compound
- Roll of toilet tissue
- Mixer or hand drill and paddle
- Table knife
- Air tight container
1. This is a great video that describes the method of preparing the clay and how to use it.
Recipe for Paper Mache Clay
2. This video gives you the recipe for the paper mache clay.
Supplies You'll Need
3. It isn't difficult to gather together the supplies you'll need. You'll just need a burned out light bulb, a milk jug lid and masking tape to make the snowman or Santa armature.
Make the Snowman or Santa Stand
4. Talk about easy to do. You'll just need to tape the milk jug lid to the glass end of the light bulb.
Cover the Bulb and Cap With Tape
5. Completely cover the light bulb and lid with masking tape. Now you are ready to form your snowman or Santa using the paper mache clay. Be sure to watch the videos.
Sculpt and Paint
6. Sculpt your snowman or Santa in any fashion that you wish. You can use the same armature and have a huge variety of looks. When the clay is dry after letting it sit overnight, paint in your choice of colors.
Have fun. This is a folk art project where you can't make a mistake.
© 2013 Loraine Brummer