Alyssa loves celebrating holidays and making fun crafts. She is a wife and mom who drinks a lot of coffee!
DIY Santa Hat
Santa will soon be coming to town. It's time to get in the holiday spirit, and there's no better way than decorating your home. Christmas is my son's favorite holiday, and I love making unique pieces to display as part of my seasonal decor. Sometimes, I can even get him to chip in and help with the crafts.
This year, I'm on a mission to use as much of our old Christmas tree as possible. I needed a wreath for our front entryway, and I decided to make this charming Santa. I'm extremely pleased with how it turned out, and I know I'll be displaying it for years to come!
The wreath is easy and simple to create, using items you probably already have on hand. Feel free to customize and swap out any items to fit your own decor style.
- Old stocking or Santa hat
- Wire hanger
- Old Christmas tree branches
- White spray paint
- Needle nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Festive ribbon
- Floral wire
- Hot glue gun, optional
Photo Guide: Steps 1–4
1. To get started, straighten out your wire hanger. Reshape it into a loose diamond, using your stocking or hat as a guide for the size. Twist the ends of the hanger to hold the shape. Trim off any long pieces or simply bend them back down over each other.
2. Place your wire inside your stocking or hat to get a feel for how your wreath will look.
Read More From Holidappy
3. Lay out your old tree branches to create a beard. Cut off branches and arrange them around the wire. I left one branch intact and cut off pieces from another branch to fill in the beard.
4. Once you're happy with the layout, remove all the branches. Spray paint them white and let them dry completely.
Photo Guide: Steps 5–10
5. Once your branches dry, arrange them around the wire. Secure them to the wire hanger using floral wire.
6. Attach your stocking or hat to the wreath using floral wire. I took a long piece of wire, poked each end through the back of my old stocking, and wrapped it around the wire hanger on either side.
7. If you are using an old stocking like me, you'll want to fold it down to create a hat. Use your hot glue gun to secure your fold.
8. Create a bow and attach it to your wreath.
9. Using a long piece of floral wire, create a hook in the back of your wreath.
10. Display your wreath as part of your holiday decor!
© 2022 Alyssa