I love all things Halloween. Coming up with DIY costumes is a passion of mine!
Squid Game Costumes for Halloween
These costumes are to die for!
Squid Game is the Korean drama that is taking America by storm. The show aired just in time to give us some great Halloween costume ideas.
The costumes themselves aren't complicated at all. Each character only has a few components and all are easy to find either on Amazon or a thrift store.
Squid Game Halloween Characters
- Ali Abdul #199
- Ji-Yeong #240
- Seong Gi-Hun #456
- Cho Sang-Woo #218
- Kang Sae-Byeok #067
- Red Light, Green Light Girl (Mugunghwa Girl)
- The Front Man
- The guards
How to Make a Squid Game Player Costume
Being a player might be the easiest costume since it doesn't have too many components. You also might have all of these items in your closet already!
This is also an easy group costume since all the players wear the same uniform.
- Green tracksuit
- White slip-on sneakers (Van's triple-white shoes)
How to Make a Squid Game Guard Costume
The guards in Squid game dress in red/pink jumpsuits and wear black mesh-like masks over their faces that imply their rank.
Choose a symbol:
Look around your house to see if you have any kind of jumpsuit. Amazon has them, and your local thrift store might have something you can use. If you do find something and it's not the right color, you can dye it.
Read More From Holidappy
How to Make a Squid Game Guard Mask
- The guards' mask can be made out of a black mesh material.
- Draw the symbol you want. It should be sheer enough that you can see through it.
- Tie it around your head.
- You could also use a black ski mask and use tape to make your symbol. It's not ideal, but it's way cheaper than buying a fencing mask.
How to Make a Squid Game Front Man Costume
This costume is super easy. It only has two parts, and everyone will know exactly who you are! If you don't want to purchase a mask, there are DIY videos you can find on YouTube.
- Black angled mask
- Silver trench coat
The Front Man Mask
The Front Man wears an angled mask. I've seen these angled masks for sale on Amazon for about $10. The mask is black, and you would have to paint it gold with a red line across the forehead.
How to Make the Trench Coat
- Thrift an old trench coat
- Spray paint is a dark silver color
- Let dry
How to Make a Red Light, Green Light Girl (Mugunghwa Girl) Costume
This doll-like character sings while playing the first game. She is singing the Mugunghwa song. The Red light, Green light girl, reminds me of a LEGO creation.
- White knee socks
- Yellow shirt
- Orange jumper
How to Do the Red Light, Green Light Girl Makeup
- Find a YouTube makeup video that makes your face look like a porcelain doll.
- Style your hair so it looks like a blunt bang cut across the forehead.
- Pull the rest of your hair back in a loose braid or ponytail.
The Six Games Played in Squid Game
Do you need some fun games for Halloween?
There are six games played by the contestants in Squid Game. The games are surprisingly childish. The games have deadly consequences in the show, but you can just play them for fun too! There is a sinister end in store for some of those players.
1. Red Light, Green Light
The "tagger" turns their back, says green light, and sings. When they say Red light, the players must freeze. If you move in this version of the game, you die.
2. Honeycomb (Ppopgi)
The players must cut stamped shapes, a circle, a triangle, a star, or an umbrella, out of honeycomb candy. This candy is known as Ppopgi or dalgona.
3. Tug of War
You know this game. Two teams grab the end of a piece of rope. Each team pulls and tries to pull the other team over the line. It was a simple game until the Squid Game. In Korea, this rope pulling game is called juldarigi.
This version of the usual marbles game is slightly different from the child's game most of us would recognize. Teams of two players get two sets of 10 marbles each. One of the players must get all the marbles, but they must do so without using any violence at all.
5. Glass Stepping Stones
This game reminds me of hopscotch...except it's way more dangerous. The players must hop their way to the other side of a suspension bridge lined with glass panels. The panels are of different strengths. If a contestant chooses a normal panel, the glass will break and fall to their deaths.
6. Squid Game
This game reminds me of tag. The Squid game was popular in South Korea in the 1970s and 1980s. The field is square and has a triangle on the top, and on top of the triangle is a circle.
There are two teams. One is a defender; one is an attacker. The goal is to have a player from the offense reach the top of the squid's head (the circle) and touch it with their foot. The defense must try to stop them.
Quotes from Squid Game
Use these quotes to really get into character!
- "I'm good at everything, except the things I can't do." —Mi-Nyeo
- "I don't have a home to go back to. In here, I stand a chance at least. But out there? I got nothing out there." —Player 322
- "This is Hell. What are the rules in Hell?" —Deok-Su
- “Life is like a game, there are many players. If you don’t play with them, they’ll play with you.” —Oh Il-Nam
- “Everyone is equal while they play this game.” —The Front Man
- “You have a reason to leave this place, but I don't.” —Ji-Yeong
- “You don't trust people here because you can, you do it because you don't have anybody else.” —Gi-Hun
- “I just wanted to return the favor.” —Abdul Ali
- “Do you know what someone with no money has in common with someone with too much money? Living is no fun for them.” —Il-Nam
- "It doesn't matter how tough you are. You're not going to win in this place. Not on your own." —Jang Deok-su
- “We’ve already come too far to end this now.” —Sang-Woo
- "Mugunghwa kkochi piotsseumnida." —The Red Light, Green Light Girl