How to Make a Construction Site Cake With Step-By-Step Instructions
For his 3rd birthday, my son wanted a construction party. What 3 year old does not enjoy hammering and digging? For the cake, I decorated a construction site cake, complete with diggers digging and dump trucks dumping. This cake was fun and easy to decorate, and was a huge hit with the kids and grown ups.
Here are my step-by-step instructions for decorating this cake. For some general tips on cake decorating, see Decorating a Birthday Cake Like a Professional.
Here’s what you’ll need to create a construction site cake:
- 3 boxes of cake batter
- 2 tubs of chocolate frosting
- 1 tub of white frosting, dyed green with green food dye
- 1 tube of black frosting
- 1 tube of yellow frosting
- Crushed oreos (2-3 cups)
- Crushed graham crackers (1 cup)
- Bake a chocolate cake in a 12x18 sheet cake pan. For a 12x18 sheet cake, use 2-3 boxes of cake mix (or the equivalent to 14 cups of cake. Basically, fill the pan a little more than halfway). Placing a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pancake helps the cake come out easily once it is cooled.
- Freeze the cake. Once it has cooled, wrap the cake in a layer of wax or parchment paper and then in a layer of tin foil. If you plan to freeze it overnight, this should suffice. If you plan to freeze it longer than 24 hours, I suggest also wrapping it in plastic wrap to keep the freshness in.
- Gummy worms (optional, but very popular!)
- Mini dump truck; mini digger; mini excavator; construction cone candles; construction site signs; plastic trees. You’re likely to have some of these items in your house, or can find them in a variety of toy and dollar stores.
- Decorating tip 233 (grass tip)
If you don't have the grass decorating tip, an easy alternative to using frosting is to use green sprinkles for grass.
Steps for Decorating the Cake
- Frost the entire cake with Chocolate frosting.
- Outline the road with a knife.
- Pipe out the green frosting using Decorating Tip #233 to make the grass.
- Frost the road with black icing.
- Frost yellow lines for the road.
- Carve out a small hole and fill it with crushed oreos. Position the digger truck near the hole.
- Create a mound of oreos. Position the dump truck near the mound of oreos and fill it with more oreos.
- Place the bulldozer near the road, and fill it with graham cracker crumbs.
- Sprinkle some graham cracker crumbs around the worksite.
- Place any additional decorations (e.g., trees, traffic signs) on the cake.
- Place crushed oreos around all sides of the cake, pressing them into the frosting with your hands. It’s a little messy, but that’s ok - it’s a construction site after all! Press the gummy worms into the “dirt.”
Decorating this construction site cake is easy and fun. Use your imagination to add personal touches. The kids will absolutely love it, and your guests will be very impressed. Enjoy!