How to Make a Minecraft Birthday Cake
Minecraft is a video game that young kids and adults are fond of playing. It is a game where you build things with blocks while having an adventure, You can play it on a computer, tablet, smartphone, game console, or a laptop.
A few weeks ago, I didn´t know what Minecraft was until a friend of mine gave me an idea of what I could decorate for her son's birthday cake. I was searching online for what one might look like in order to have an idea for how I could create a beautiful but easy and simple birthday cake for a 10-year-old boy.
This article is an easy step-by-step tutorial on how to make a Minecraft cake for any occasion, especially for a person who loves playing Minecraft.
Ingredients of a Minecraft Birthday Cake
- Sponge cake (9 inches or 10 and 1/4 inches, round)
- 12 or more bars of chocolates
- 2 packages of chocolate blocks
- round green royal icing
- 1 Minecraft small toy decoration
- Birthday alphabet candles
- 100 gram of dark chocolate for the sides of the cake
Sponge Cake Ingredients:
- 250 gram butter, soft
- 250 gram sugar, white or brown
- 5 pieces eggs, lightly beaten
- 250 gram all purpose flour, sieved
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavouring
- 15 gram baking powder
- 50 gram chocolate, grated or shaved
- 3 tablespoons cocoa, unsweetened
"BAKE the WORLD
a better place."— Topperoo
Cook Time of Sponge Cake
Instructions for Sponge Cake:
- Put the soft butter and sugar in an electric mixer and blend well until light in color and fluffy.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs.
- Combine the sieved flour and baking powder and add them to the butter mixture. Mix them well.
- Add the cocoa, vanilla flavouring and the grated chocolate to the batter. Mix them well.
- Put the sponge cake batter in a buttered 9 or 10 inches round baking tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated 175°C oven for 45 minutes or until the toothpick that you stick in the cake will come out clean.
- Let the sponge cake cool down before making the Minecraft decoration.
Let´s face it, a nice creamy chocolate cake does a lot for a lot of people; it does for me.— Audrey Hepburn
Tips on Making the Sponge Cake:
- Butter is the best for baking this cake as you can keep this cake for 3 days.
- You can use any flavour you want. I have baked sponge cake often times and it was not always the same. Sometimes I used dried grated orange or lemon rind or Jamaica rum.
- If you want to make a 2 layer sponge cake, you can divide the batter into half and bake them in 2 small baking tin. Then you can fill the 2 layer sponge cake with butter icing or chocolate fudge frosting.
- The baking time of this cake depends upon what kind of oven you have at home.
- You can bake the sponge cake the night before you decorate it for your Minecraft cake.
Step-by-Step to Making a Minecraft CakeClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step-by-Step Assembly Instructions
- Cut the upper cake if it is not even or if it is a bit burned.
- Cut the 100 grams of dark chocolate and slowly melt them above a hot water or just melt them in the microvawe. Stir the chocolate every now and then.
- Brush the melted chocolate on the sides of the sponge cake.
- Put sponge cake on a turntable to make it easy to decorate the cake.
- Decorate the side of the cake with chocolate bars while the melted chocolate is still wet. If the chocolates are big, cut them into half so that they will fit into the side of the cake.
- Make a flat round royal icing to cover the top of the cake.
- Arrange the blocks of chocolate the way you want them to be or just follow the photo above.
- Make a building by putting chocolate bars on the middle of the cake. On top of those chocolate bars, put 1 chocolate bar and on top of that, just a thin small but long chocolate. As you can see in my Minecraft photo, it looks like a building. Then, 2 slices of chocolate were added to the decoration.
- Then add the Minecraft toy on the cake wherever you want it.
- Arrange the birthday candles on both sides of the cake.
Tips For Decorating:
- Paste the chocolate bars to the cake by using the melted chocolate. Just a bit so it will not damage the view.
- If in case your royal icing has a crack, smoothen it with a wet finger. That was what I always did to make the icing nice to look at.
- If you can´t buy a ready made royal icing, you can make your own. I have put a video below to make your own royal icing.
- If you buy birthday candles, check them immediately so you will know that the letters are complete. That was my failure as I didn´t do it. I opened the birthday candles the day I decorated the cake and H was missing, instead there were 2 A´s. What I did was to break the A and made it into H by using the wax of a candle as a paste.
- If you don´t like using royal icing, of course you can make green butter icing instead.
How To Make Royal Icing
Not A Planned Article!
Actually I was not planning to write a recipe about a Minecraft cake. I just made the cake and posted one photo to my FB account. I was surprised at how many people have seen and liked my Minecraft photo and some friends were asking me to have the recipe. I love sharing what I know of and so I am enjoying writing an aritcle about this cake. I don´t have photos about the ingredients as it was not planned to be used. Happily, I took photos of the cake batter and the cake itself in the birthday celebration.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read. Have a great day!
Questions & Answers
© 2017 Thelma Alberts