How to Give a Toast to Your Wife on Her 40th Birthday
Follow these tips on how to give a toast to your wife on her 40th birthday and watch her face light up with joy on her special day.
Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words.— Plautus
Special occasions such as your wife’s fortieth birthday party when friends and family are gathered around is a perfect time to tell the one you love how much she means to you. A toast is short, sweet way to wish your loved one good health and happiness in the coming year. A toast is also a perfect time to offer your sincere gratitude to your wife for all the good things she brings into your life.
Your toast to your wife on her 40th birthday can be as funny, witty, serious, or sweet as you want it to be. But no matter what tone you chose to adopt, remember that the best toasts all have one thing in common: they’ re always sincere and honest. If you want to deliver a toast that your wife will appreciate on her 40th birthday, make sure you give yourself plenty of time to prepare it. Writing a thoughtful, warm, loving toast to the woman you love isn’t hard when you have a few guidelines. The tips in this article on how to toast your wife can help you write and deliver a thoughtful toast to the one you love.
If you want to give your wife a heartfelt toast for her 40th birthday, be sure to include compliments, personal stories and touching reminders of why you love her so much. Quotes or aphorisms from her favorite writers, singers, or artists are also nice touches to add to your toast. After all, turning 40 is a significant milestone in a woman’s life and being reminded that she is deeply loved and adored by her husband no matter how old she is will sweeten the birthday celebrations all the more.
When preparing a toast for your wife on her birthday, consider these tips and suggestions adapted from Toastmasters International, a worldwide leader on effective public speaking1:
- Organize your toast in the same way you would organize a speech; make sure it has an opening, a body, and a closing. A toast, after all, is speech, no matter how short it is.
- When you start to prepare your wife’s birthday toast, consider the audience and setting in which it will be delivered. Who will be at her 40th birthday party? Her parents and grandparents? Just a few of her closest friends and family? Or have her work colleagues and professional peers been invited to the celebration. You wouldn’t want to include a raunchy story that would make her grandmother blush, would you? Make sure your words fit the occasion in tone, language, and mood. If your wife’s birthday party is a formal affair, you toast should be refined and dignified. You can still use light humor in a formal toast, just keep it clean and classy. If your wife’s birthday party is going to be less formal and more intimate, you can lighten your tone up a bit.
- Remember that the purpose of your toast is to honor your wife one her birthday, so make sure it is all about her. Keep the spotlight on her. Don’t go off on a tangent about other people or ramble on about yourself.
- Skip the clichés and tired catchphrases that are often used in poorly planned toasts: “Here’s mud in your eye!” What does expression that even mean? Who knows?
Many books on how to write a toast can be found online, in libraries, and at your favorite bookstore. These resources can be helpful when planning your wife's 40th birthday toast toast, but make sure you personalize your well wishes. You want your toast to be one of a kind and original. If you are tempted to download a template from the internet or copy one you found online, think about how your wife would feel if she ever found out that your birthday toast to her was just copied. The best toasts are the ones that are a true reflection of how the toaster (you) feels about the toastee (your wife).
1. Mastering the Toast, Special Occasion Speeches
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!— Dr. Seuss
Video Tips: How to Write a Birthday Speech
© 2015 Sadie Holloway