One of Kitty's dream jobs is to be a party planner. She finds joy in planning parties for children and adults alike!
The Future Is Now...Get Your Party On!
What better way to party than to party like we're living in the future? The '70s theme is overdone, the '80s theme is overrated, and the '90s theme is now a trend with party planning. Do something completely unexpected and out-of-the-ordinary and throw a 3000s cosmic party this year! It's going to take some creativity, and it will take some time to put everything together, but I'm telling you it will be worth it. Your guests will leave the party feeling like they were on another planet and just returned to earth.
In this article, I will give you my tips on how to plan an out-of-this-world 3000s futuristic cosmic party including the menu, costumes, drinks, decorations, a music playlist, and more. Put on your spacesuits and let's get to it!
Futuristic 3000s Cosmic Decorations
The first thing you'll want to start thinking about is decorations. Obviously the futuristic party theme is going to take some creativity and experimentation on your part. You'll really want to get into the cosmic mood, so my first suggestion is to watch some futuristic movies to inspire you (The Fifth Element, Independence Day, Star Trek, Riddick, Avatar, etc.) You can pick and choose different design elements from these futuristic movies to include in your decorations. Really you can go two ways with your futuristic party décor: super bright and bold or old-school alien cheesy. Here are some quick cosmic party decoration ideas to get you started.
Cosmic Party Decoration Ideas
- Glow sticks
- Neon colored dinnerware, tablecloths, paper streamers, balloons
- Strings of LED lights hung around the party and dancefloor areas (you'll really want to light up the place with neon and LED lights to set the futuristic mood)
- Silver colored dinnerware, tablecloths, etc to give off a space-ship vibe
- Glitter and sparkly confetti
- Disco balls (while these seem vintage they take on a whole new effect when used in a space-age themed party)
- Anything that resembles a rocket ship or UFO/flying saucer
- Plastic planets to hang from the ceiling (you can buy these at toy stores or online)
Remember, the sky's the limit with your party décor...check out your online and party store options but don't forget that If you have the extra time you can always create your own décor for a kick-butt futuristic 3000s party. Scavenge thrift stores for things you can spray-paint in silver or neon colors such as candle-holders, plates and/or centerpieces, etc. Find futuristic posters, blacklights, anything related to the sky or space at garage sales, consignment shops, etc. You can also find a lot of great party gear by searching for New Years Eve decorations...and it might even be on sale!
Futuristic Party Music Playlist
Depending on the crowd you will be entertaining, music is the key to setting a certain ambiance. If you have a relatively young crowd, you can gear your music playlist to fun, jumpy, techno, and house-type music. Or if you'd like, you can take a look at my suggestions below and incorporate this futuristic party playlist into your 3000s party playlist. This list is by no means all-inclusive and should be taken as a jumping-off point.
Cosmic Party Songs
- Boom Boom Pow - Black Eyed Peas
- Extraterrestrial - Katy Perry
- Aura - Lady Gaga
- Starships - Nicki Minaj
- The Faint - Your Retro Career Melted
- Timestretch - Bass Nectar
- Chrome - VNV Nation
- Creator - Santigold
- The District Sleeps Alone - The Postal Service
- Fireflies - Owl City
- Venus - Lady Gaga
- I Feel Cream - Peaches
- Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
- Starstruck - Santigold
- Electric Feel - MGMT
- Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
- Feel So Close - Calvin Harris
- Hot Like Wow - Nadia Oh
- She Wants Revenge - Out of Control
- Le Disko - Shiny Toy Guns
- Like a G6 - Far East Movement
- Love is Gonna Save Us - Benny Benassi
- LoveGame (Chew Fu Remix) - Lady Gaga
- Ray of Light - Madonna
- Ode to Sleep - Twenty One Pilots
- Only Girl in the World - Rihanna
- Take Me on the Floor - The Veronicas
- The Faint - Glass Danse
- We Are All Made of Stars - Moby
Read More From Holidappy
Cosmic Party Food
Half the time I'm not thinking about what music is playing or what the décor looks like at a party, I'm thinking about the food and the drinks! This party will be no different for you and your guests. I say the easiest way to feed people at a party is by having a buffet of finger foods, and by providing a table of various cocktails, beer, and wine but the decision is up to you how you want to present your food and drinks.
Cosmic 3000s Party Food Suggestions
- Planet Pops - Lollipops or Cake Balls on a Stick
- Moon Rocks - Chocolates Wrapped in Foil
- Pizza - looks like a flying saucer
- Cupcakes with blue/black icing and star confetti
- Any type of food that is crescent shaped (croissants, slices of citrus, etc)
- Bright-colored cocktails or cocktails in neon glasses/cups
- Glow-in-the-dark drinks (you can learn how to make these simply by googling it)
- Use neon food coloring to dye almost any food an out-of-this-world color
- Bright-colored jello shots (jello looks alien or blob-like)
- Green (alien) punch in a clear punch bowl with ice hands (again something you can learn how to make anywhere online) - this could be alcoholic or non-alcoholic
- Superman Ice Cream - rainbow colored ice cream from back in the day that looks futuristic
- Gummy worms and other brightly colored candies in neon bowls
Again, see how far you can stretch your imagination. You'll find once you have a few ideas down pat, the information and inspiration will just keep coming.
Costumes for a Futuristic Party
After you've decided what to serve at the party, what music to play, and how to decorate it, now's your chance to figure out how you want to look. This is the really fun part. You can go the easy way out and buy a costume online or in a party store.
Store-bought ideas for futuristic party costumes
- Jetsons costumes
- Alien Rave Costumes (i.e. the one shown below)
- Avatar movie costumes
- Fifth Element costumes
- Star Trek or Star Wars costumes (old school but still could be considered futuristic and fun)
- Astronaut costumes
If you wanted to get creative you could make or piece together your own futuristic 3000s cosmic costume using one or a few of the ideas below (mostly for women):
- Full body suit dyed/painted bright colors like blue or silver
- Silver or gold bodysuit with glittery leggings
- Silver bikini with fuzzy neon boots
- Paint unidentifiable symbols (spirals and alien-like symbols) over your mostly un-clothed body
- Dress as a starship trooper or space cadet
© 2015 Kitty Fields
Kitty Fields (author) from Summerland on February 16, 2015:
Thank you both!
daydreamer13 on February 14, 2015:
This is cool! Sounds fun! Great hub!
Heidi Thorne from Chicago Area on February 13, 2015:
Totally fun! Now if I could just beam myself to a party location... :)