Sam is a sucker for love quotes and poetry. It's only natural she is inspired to write wedding vows.
How to Write Your Own Wedding Vows
Finding the right words to say is an arduous task, especially when you're overflowing with emotions so great that it makes it impossible to capture those feelings succinctly in just a few sentences. If you aren't a wordsmith, this article lends wedding vow examples, ideas, sayings, and quotes to help you write your own unique vows. You can use them as they are or alter them to fit your needs.
My advice for crafting the perfect wedding vow is to browse through these examples, find the ones that closely reflect how you feel, and then take pieces of each one and put together an original wedding vow that is wholly unique.
- Read the vows below for inspiration.
- Write down a list of things that are uniquely important to you (e.g., helping each other in your careers, having a sense of humor, etc.)
- Decide on the tone (i.e., do you want to be funny or do you want to make each other cry?)
- Make sure your vows are under two minutes when reading aloud.
Traditional Religious Vows
I, ___, take thee, ___, to be my wedded wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God's holy ordinance; and thereto I pledge myself to you.
Note: You can replace the last part with either "plight thee my troth" or "pledge thee my faith."
The following are Vatican-approved vows. They are the official vows of the American Catholic Church and are obligatory during a traditional wedding mass. If you wish to add a few personal words, you would have to ask the priest if you can do so, but you cannot change the words in these prescribed vows.
- I, ___, take you, ___, for my lawful wife/husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part.
- I, ___, take you, ___, to be my wife/husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life.
Romantic Wedding Vows
- Because of you, I laugh, I smile, and I dare to dream more than I ever have. Thank you for the miracle of you. You are, and always will be, the love of my life, my soulmate, my person.
- I’ve seen your kindness and your strength. I’ve seen you patient and frayed. I will strive not to take you for granted. You are my favorite person, and I choose you to be my partner in life. I vow to take you as my husband/wife. My heart is yours. Will you exchange your heart for mine? Will you be my family?”
- I see these vows not as promises but as privileges: I get to laugh with you and cry with you, care for you and share with you. I get to run with you and walk with you, build with you, and live with you.
- I choose you to be no other than yourself, loving what I know of you, and trusting who you will become. I will respect and honor you always and in all ways. With you, I pledge to repair one small piece of the world. I take you to be my spouse, to have and to hold, in tears and in laughter, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, from this day forward, in this world and the next.
- Today, we begin our lives together. I promise before our families and our friends to be your faithful (wife/husband). I choose to live with you as your lover, your companion, and your friend, loving you when life is peaceful and when it is painful, during our successes and our failures. I support your strengths and accept your weaknesses. I will honor your goals and dreams, trying always to encourage your fulfillment. I will strive to be honest and open with you, sharing my thoughts and my life with you. I promise to love and cherish you from this day forward.
- I promise to always be your friend, your lover, and, most importantly, your family from this day until our very last days.
- Let us build a home of laughter, love, support, and charity. Let us create a warm and welcoming space for the good times and the bad. Let us be a home for each other, forever and ever.
- Today, I promise you this: I will laugh with you in times of joy and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will share in your dreams and support you as you strive to achieve your goals. I will listen to you with compassion and understanding and speak to you with encouragement. Together, let us build a home filled with learning, laughter, and light, shared freely with all who may live there. Let us be partners, friends, and lovers, today and all of the days that follow.
I love you. And that's the beginning and end of everything.
— F. Scott Fitzgerald
- I vow to kiss you every day, as we do today, with love and devotion. That each kiss we share from now will be a remembrance of our wedding vows, our joy, and everything we share.
- I want nothing more than to share my future with you—my triumphs and my challenges, my joys and my sorrows. Together, I know we can accomplish the life we both dream of living.
- You are my first, my last, my everything. You are mine until the end of time, and I am yours for as long as you'll have me.
- Let's be awesome together, even when the world isn't so awesome at times.
- I promise to respect you as a whole person with your own interests, desires, and needs and to realize that those are sometimes different but no less important than my own. I promise to keep myself open to you, to let you into my innermost fears and feelings, secrets, and dreams. I promise to grow along with you, to be willing to face change as we both change, keeping our relationship alive and exciting. And finally, I promise to love you in good times and in bad, with all I have to give and all that I am, in the only way I know how—completely and forever.
Romantic Wedding Quotes
- "I can’t promise to solve all your problems, but I can promise you won’t have to face them alone."
- "I swear I couldn't love you more than I do now, and yet I know I will tomorrow."—Leo Christopher
- "I have seen the best of you and the worst of you, and I choose both."—Sarah Kay
- "I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, every dream I’ve ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life."—The Notebook
- "There will be dozens of people who will take your breath away, but the one who reminds you to breathe is the one you should keep."
- "For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It is a person. And we are finally home."
- "Today seems like it's a start of a new journey, but I already belong to you, and today we're finally going home."
- "You are my sun, my moon, and all of my stars."—E.E. Cummings
- "You are the poem I've always wanted to write, and this life is the story I've always wanted to tell."—Tyler Knott Gregson
- "Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails."—1 Corinthians 3: 4-8
- "As soon as I saw you, I knew a grand adventure was about to begin."—Pooh
- "I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you, and I'd choose you."—Kiersten White, The Chaos of Stars
- As your husband, I am yours, and I tenderly deliver you my heart.
- I vow to be your family in distance and closeness and sorrow and triumph.
I will build a life with you.
- You make me the best version of myself, and I promise to support you during your weakest hours and your shining moments, and always with a smile.
- I don't know what the future holds, but I know you will hold me in the future, and that is all that matters.
- With you by my side, I promise to be the best version of myself so that you can be the happiest woman in the world.
- Let us continue to be each other's best friend and each other's family.
- I will shield you from the wind, cover you from the rain, and make a home for us inside my heart.
- You are beautiful inside and out. You warm my heart and make me soar. You are my angel and now my forever best friend.
- With your hand in mine, I can do anything. And I promise to hold your hand while we conquer this world together.
- I give you my flaws and my patience, my generosity and my faithfulness, my kindness, and my love.
- I promise to shower before bed and make your coffee every morning. I promise to listen to your stories and tell you funny stories to cheer you up when you're sad. Most importantly, I promise to make time for you, even when the football game is really interesting.
- I promise to be patient and loving towards you, to work by your side to achieve the things we value and dream of, and to savor our time together. I pledge to you all of these things from the bottom of my heart for the rest of our lives.
- No matter the circumstance, I will trust you and respect you. I will take care of you and comfort you. I will support you and encourage you.
- I will stand by your side for all eternity.
- I pledge my faith to you and promise to work together to achieve the happiness we want for ourselves and for our family.
- No matter where we are, I feel at home because you are with me. I promise to be a home for your heart as well.
Together is a beautiful place to be.
Traditional Non-Denominational Vows
- I, ___ take you, ___, to be my partner, loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I eagerly anticipate the chance to grow together, getting to know the [man/woman] you will become, and falling in love a little more each day.
- I, ___, take you, ___, to be no other than yourself. Loving what I know of you, trusting what I do not yet know, I will respect your integrity and have faith in your abiding love for me through all our years and in all that life may bring us.
- (Name), I take you as my wife/husband, with your faults and your strengths, as I offer myself to you with my faults and my strengths. I will help you when you need help and turn to you when I need help. I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life.
Romantic Sayings to Use in Your Vows
- I am yours for eternity.
- I can conquer the world with one hand as long as you’re holding the other.
- It was always you.
- From this day forward, you shall not walk alone. My heart will be your shelter, and my arms will be your home.
- Today, I am marrying my soul mate and my best friend. And today, we will become one family.
- I will forever be faithful through all our years.
- Neither of us is perfect, but we are perfect for each other.
- I accept you for who you are today and what you will become.
- Even though I’m unsure about most things in life, I am certain that I love you and will continue to love you forever.
- Love is a short word—easy to spell, difficult to define, and impossible to live without. Love is work, but most of all, love is realizing that every hour, every minute, every second of it was worth it because we did it together.
- I promise to bring out the best in you because you bring out the best in me.
Hand in hand, heart in heart, on this day our adventure starts.
- You are the one I want to binge-watch Netflix with forever. I promise not to watch the next episode without you.
- I vow to love all of you. Snoring included.
- Do you solemnly swear to protect me from spiders as long as we both shall live?
- I promise to pretend I'm interested in ____ as long as you promise to pretend you're interested in ____.
- I vow to be a quality roommate. I will wash more dishes. I vow to tolerate your icy toes. I will continue to play with you until we grow old and decrepit.
- We’re all a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.
- In sickness and in health: I promise to take care of you, even when you're hungover. For richer or for poorer: I promise not to spend all our money online shopping.
- I love you to the moon and back; actually, I love you to pluto and back. That's really far.
- I vow to love all of you. Snoring included.
I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not, to agree to disagree on red velvet cake, and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.
— The Vow
Vows That Will Make You Cry
- I make this solemn promise to you:
To be your lover when you need to be loved,
your doctor when you are ill,
your army when you go to war,
your umbrella when life rains down on you,
your rock when you get weary,
your shield when you need defense,
your spirit when you are drained,
your pillow when you need to rest,
your voice when no one can hear you,
your ear when no one will listen,
your comfort when you feel pain,
your hero when you are under duress,
your sunshine when darkness falls,
your answer when questions arise,
your inspiration to overcome obstacles,
your hand to hold when you are frightened,
your kiss that wakes you everyday,
and your "I love you" each and every night.
I am yours... all of me.
- What can I say that I haven’t already said? What can I provide you that I haven’t already given? My body, my mind, my soul and my heart. They’re all yours. Everything that I have and everything that I am, belonged to you long before today. And I promise that it shall all be be yours forever. I will be yours forever. I will follow you anywhere you go and anywhere lead me to. Hand in hand. Heart in heart. Let’s get on with this so that we can grow old together.
- I promise to love you without reservation, comfort you in times of distress, encourage you to achieve all of your goals, laugh with you and cry with you, grow with you in mind and spirit, always be open and honest with you, and cherish you for as long as we both shall live.
© 2018 Sam Mendoran