Backyard Wedding Budget: How Much Will One Cost?
Get an Idea Here
Do you want to have a backyard wedding on a budget? The good news is, you'll probably save a lot of money; the bad news is, you'll still have to be careful to make sure that your wedding costs don't skyrocket.
The main thing to realize is that nothing comes for free. Paying less money almost always means increasing personal effort, and sometimes stress. Saving money is awesome - just make sure you know what you're getting into before you decide to grow your own flowers or cook your own food!
A quick note on costs. Prices for everything from DJs to tent rentals to photographers vary widely depending if you're in an urban or rural area, how many competitors there are in your region, changing prices of goods, and more. To get more precise costs for your wedding, simply plug your own numbers into the formulas provided.
Also, don't forget that you get what you pay for. The lower-end prices quoted for services here are for people hired off of Craigslist or acquaintances who are just getting started in the business. Doing research will help you find out what you want to pay for specific items.
Hope these thoughts on backyard wedding budgets help you out!
How Much For the Officiant?
Prices for someone to officiate your backyard wedding range greatly depending on location, day of the week, time of year, etc. Expect to pay at least $100, and as much as $1,500 or more.
Wedding Food: What Should You Budget?
Cost For Feeding Guests
Here's the breakdown on what we spent for the wedding reception appetizers and meal:
- A pig for smoking: $150
- Four 2 lb. sirloin steaks for grilling: $50
- A turkey for smoking: $20
- Chips, salsas, dips: $20
- Cheese and crackers: $25
- Ingredients for buffalo chicken salad: $15
- Ingredients for homemade baked beans: $10
- Ingredients for broccoli salad: $10
- Cut fruit and vegetables: $10
- Fifty rolls, pre-ordered and picked up that day: $40
- Sauces and condiments: $15
- Other: $40
Want to have your backyard wedding catered? You can spend anywhere from $30 to $200 or more for catering. Look around, and don't forget to get references.
The Price of Drinks
How Do You Want To Provide Them?
- Wine: My sister got a great case price on Rex Goliath wines. 4 cases x 12 bottles per case x $5 each = $240 (plus we had leftovers)
- Beer: A combination of six packs and twelve packs equaling 96 bottles and cans of various types for a total of about $150
- Non-Alcoholic Drinks: Soda, seltzer, and water, about 60 items total: $30
- Champagne for the toast: $70
- Ice (don't forget!): $10
How Much For the Photography?
We did all the photography ourselves, with cameras we already owned. Including prints, the cost will be about $100. Hiring a photographer can cost $300 to $2,000 or more.
Shutterfly Is a Great Way to Preserve Wedding Memories
Low Cost Prints, Photo Books, and More
My sister used Shutterfly to create a gorgeous guest book for her wedding, and also used the low-cost offers to get great looking prints of her wedding photos.
Don't Forget Decorations, Flowers, and Table Settings! - Don't Have To Cost a Lot
- Flower seeds, soil, pots: $20
- Crepe streamers at the dollar store: $4
- Battery-powered lanterns: $8
- Vases, ribbon, glass gems: $15
- Tulle for draping: $50
- Lace placemats: $50
- Large and small melamine plates: $70
- Candles and ribbons: $20
- Napkins and other disposables: $15
- Balloons: $6
- Bridal bouquet and 3 boutonnieres: $145
- Other Purchased flowers: $30
- Miscellaneous: $30
Survey of Wedding Costs - Vote Here!
Anyone can vote. If you haven't had your wedding yet, you can choose how much you think yours will cost.
How much did/will your wedding cost?
How Much For the Cake?
My mom and I made and decorated the wedding cupcakes. The cost for ingredients and decorations ended up being about $30. Purchasing a wedding cake (if it's not included in the catering) can cost you $200 to $1,000 or more.
Budgeting Wedding Music and Entertainment
Keeping Your Guests In the Mood
Here are some of the items we used to create the music setup for my sister's backyard wedding.
- Extension cord
- Small table
- Downloaded songs
If you want to hire a DJ, your cost for four hours can be anywhere from $250 to $2,000 and up. Check out this article on Yahoo Answers for more information on DJ costs. Just make sure if you go this route you don't sacrifice quality for cost, because a bad DJ can be really bad! A band will probably cost a bit more, but prices can vary widely.
Total Costs - Ours and (Possibly) Yours
Here's what our wedding cost for 30 guests, along with some estimates of what you can expect to pay with different options.
I didn't include some items, such as invitations, cost of clothing (wedding dress, tuxedos), and a few miscellaneous items.
- Equipment Rental: Us - $500; Larger/Fancier Rentals - $1,000
- Officiant: Us - $200; Low - $100; High - $1,500
- Food: Us - $385; Catered low - $30/head x 30 = $900; Catered high - $200/head x 30 = $6,000
- Drinks: Us - $500; Included in catering - $0; Mixed drinks included - $700
- Photography: Us - $0; Professional low - $300; Professional high - $2,000
- Decorations, Flowers and Table Settings: Us - $463; Decorator low - $1,000; Decorator high - $5,000
- Cake: Us - $30; Low - $200; High - $1,000
- Music: Us - $0; DJ low - $250; DJ high - $2,000
- Wedding Favors: Us - $0; Low - $30; High - $300
- Total: Us - $2,078; Low with caterer and DJ - $3,780; High with caterer and DJ - $19,500