Barbara has spent over forty years writing poems, lyrics, and sayings for cards, and interpreting the meanings and messages in song.
Sometimes a Plain Cake Just Doesn't Cut It!
"Happy birthday" isn't the only message you can write on a cake. You can say just about anything you want to say!
Just like my sayings for cards, this collection of sayings was written off the top of my head. Feel free to use the sayings as is, or modify them as you like as you write them on your cake. Make your family and friends laugh out loud—or just make them roll their eyes and smirk.
Have fun finding the perfect message for your special loved one!
Silly Birthday Cake Messages
- Another year older? Fake news!
- Let them eat cake—you get the presents.
- Find the grasshopper in this cake.
- You're always in a rush and now you're older. See what you did?
- Hold on tight! Time is speeding up.
- Let them eat cake!
- You're a big deal, so here's a cake.
- Think of this cake as money—eat like you would spend.
- Let's celebrate your aging with this cake.
- The eternal question: cats or dogs?
- Guess the secret ingredient!
- Eat the whole cake and you'll win a prize!
- I already made the wish.
- I got a permit—we can light the candles now.
- Birthday cake was invented as a distraction from aging bones and balding heads.
- Come to the dark side—we have cake.
- Aging is easy.
- Cheer up! You're another day older every day.
- You're wiser. Yah, stick with that.
- We decided to skip the candles—they're a fire hazard.
- We hereby acknowledge that you are older.
- Eat cake and you'll feel much better about getting old. Trust us.
- This cake says how much we love you.
- Your present is the cake. Enjoy.
- Time heals all wounds, so your wounds must be completely healed now.
- We've reported this cake to the diet police.
- There's a nail file in the cake so you can break out of hell!
- Birthdays are for babies. That's why we're celebrating yours.
- We're just happy you're still here!
More Funny Ideas to Write
- At least you're not 100 (yet)!
- Run before your age catches up to you!
- Happy big day to a super big baby.
- This cake is magic—eat one bite and get ready for the best year of your life.
- We bought a cake because birthdays suck without one.
- You're not old.
- Keep smiling—it gets worse.
- Just when you think it's over, you become a butterfly.
- Get your head out of there!
- Surprise, it's a cake!
- Boom. Another year.
- You still have a hot bootie.
- You haven't lost it yet.
- Fired up!
- We're gonna light it up!
- Older does mean better.
- You've reached your peak.
- You're a big bag of trouble.
- The road to hell is paved with your tires.
- I'm wrapped up and ready.
- Let's celebrate your antics!
Awesome Things to Write on a Cake
- More candles, more life.
- Guess what our gift is! You have three chances.
- So how about that wish?
- The fix is in—you're gonna live forever.
- Let this cake keep you warm—200 candles will suffice.
- We've booked you in for an Exorcism.
- We called the devil—he doesn't want you, so it's best that you live forever.
- Secure your teeth before you blow.
- When life hands you lemons, eat cake!
- This party is gonna go til the hot milk runs out!
- Anti-aging cake: Eat this and you'll be Benjamin Button.
- It's beer cake!
- When you were little, a cake is all you wanted—now it's all you're getting!
- Wishes do come true—you get me!
- In a world full of crazy, you fit in just fine.
- This cake will self destruct in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. . .too late!
- Why, you ask? Because you're older than dirt!
- Kiss your old age goodbye!
- You're hot! Too many candles will do that.
- Crying will not make you younger—laughing will!
- Well, you're no Romeo.
- Let's hear it for the boy!
Cheesy Birthday Messages
- It's showtime!
- The road is long, but it's one hell of a road.
- You got all my money and this cake.
- The story of your life is summed up by this cheesy cake.
- You're a big bag of double trouble.
- My dreams are your dreams, and we're both boring!
- Home is where the cake is.
- I have a secret to tell you. It's inside the cake, so start eating!
- This is where it all gets interesting.
- You've done everything except eat this cake.
- You're sliding through life, you slippery little sucker!
- Catch me if you can!
- Make a wish! Wish for more wishes and keep wishing.
- You're special. Yeah, let's go with that.
- Wishes or cash? Please choose wishes.
- A message on a cake is so overrated.
- You're going places. Please take me with you!
- From now until the end of time, you'll get a cake.
- You're a freaking star! (Talent hoarder.)
- We all want to be you, so treat our body nicely!
- There's life after life, but right now there's just this cake.
- You're a pain in the behind but you still deserve a cake.
- We've cleaned the entire house for your birthday—hard labor was my gift.
- You're going places, but eat first!
- Mad at your age? Kick your own ass!
- Birthdays show up every year. They're the one thing that's reliable!
Great Things to Write for a Loved One's Birthday
- Just accept the fact that you're awesome.
- We're all aging, that's the good news!
- Don't count the candles—we don't have time.
- 118 going on 245.
- The world isn't ready for you!
- It's your life, your moment—we're all in panic mode!
- Don't tell me you're older? You look 5!
- Take your time—that's all that's left!
- You cannot be another year older! You're making me look bad.
- We almost didn't put icing on your cake 'cause you're so damn sweet already.
- Here's to another trip around the sun. Go easy on this universe, would you?
- Perfect—that's you. In awe—that's us. Can we switch places once in a while?
Questions & Answers
Question: What is something sweet to write on a cake for an 8-year-old girl?
Answer: Here are some suggestions: "Sugar, Spice, and You, happy birthday!", "You make life brighter, happy birthday", "You make everyone smile, happy birthday", "The world is better with you, happy birthday", "You're a beautiful original, happy birthday"
Question: Can you think of something amazing to write for a poet on their birthday cake?
Answer: Thanks for the question. How about, "Happy Birthday, we have no more words", "To count or not to count, that's the birthday question", "Poets, let them eat cake", "Your birthday is here, eat cake, drink beer", "Using your tears, put out this fire", "Lucky Poets age".
Question: Anything amazing to write for an author?
Answer: How about, "You're so talented even the cake is in awe" or, "You can't re-write this, Happy Birthday!" or, "Maybe it's time to put down the pen and eat cake!' or "You hogged all the talent! Happy Birthday" or "You inspire us with words, so we got you this cake."
Question: Do you have any suggestions on what might be the best cake for a 13 year old girl who likes painting?
Answer: In terms of actual cake suggestions I don't have expertise on the best choices, but if you're asking for sayings for the cake, here are a few ideas: "Future Star Artist", "Million Dollar Artist", "Painter Extraordinaire", "Star Painter", "Happy 13th to Our Future Star Painter".
Question: Can you help me to write something on a cake for a team member who is moving to a different team?
Answer: "You're leaving us for another team, here's a cake" - "It's going to hurt to beat your team now, but we will" - "We're hoping we don't suck without you" - "Don't wish to beat us"
Question: Any suggestions about what to write on a birthday cake for a 12-year-old?
Answer: Hi, thanks for the question. For funny things to say, here are some suggestions:
1. You're super cute and super smart, we did good!
2. Have fun, be 12, enjoy!
3. 12 Years and Still Awesome
4. 64 in Dog Years - Woof!
© 2018 Barbara Tremblay Cipak
Have you ever had something funny written on a cake for someone?
Barbara Tremblay Cipak (author) from Toronto, Canada on July 30, 2020:
Hi, thanks for stopping by. I presume you want something to write on an anniversary cake? If so, here are a few ideas: Together Forever, Forever Together - Not old, just committed - Stay strong mom and dad, it will get easier! - You both deserve this cake and medals - You've both done time!
NMK on July 30, 2020:
Hi, do you have anything for my parents anniversary?
#serenityslime on February 06, 2020:
i love birthdays
Peggy Woods from Houston, Texas on July 04, 2018:
With all of the serious news that is out there these days it was fun to read your post regarding funny things to put on a cake. Still smiling!
Margaret Schindel from Massachusetts on July 04, 2018:
Barbara, you always know just the right thing to say - even on a birthday cake! Thanks for some awesome ideas.
Mary Norton from Ontario, Canada on July 03, 2018:
There are some here we could use next time we have a cake for birthday party. They will certainly make people laugh.
Peg Cole from Northeast of Dallas, Texas on July 03, 2018:
These are funny. I like number 80.