Glow in the Dark Party Food
Are you looking for food ideas for your glow in the dark or black light party? Well the party starts right here.
Glow in the dark drinks are easy to do. But putting together glowing food to serve to party guests is a bit of a challenge.
Never fear, though. There are tons of great glow in the dark food suggestions here.
Below there is a list of edible foods that glow and foods that look very bright under a black light. You will also find a recipe for glow in the dark salad and glowing desserts.
These food ideas are great for kids, teens, and adult black light parties or anytime you want to serve really cool food.
Flip on the black light, get out the glowing food, and get ready to throw an awesome glow in the dark party.
Glow in the Dark Food
Some freshly cut fruits and veggies will glow red under a black light. It is actually the chlorophyll in them that causes the red glow.
Foods that Glow
There are several foods that will glow under a black light. Here is a list of food that will glow along with the color it appears.
- cooking oil (yellow)
- olive oil (orange)
- honey (golden yellow)
- caramel (golden yellow)
- maple syrup (golden yellow)
- ketchup (dull yellow)
- milk (yellow)
- vanilla ice cream (yellow)
- yogurt (yellow/pink, the tint will depend on the color of the yogurt)
- eggs (in the shell - deep red/dark violet; peeled - bright white/yellow)
- freshly sliced orange (bright orange)
- freshly sliced lettuce (dull red)
- freshly sliced peppers (dull red)
- sliced yellow squash (yellow)
Some other freshly cut fruits and vegetables will sometimes have a faint red glow under the black light. It is hit and miss with some of them, though. Some will glow more brightly than others. Sometimes green peppers glow well, sometimes they don't. It varies with each piece of fruit or vegetable.
The spots on bananas will sometimes glow with a blue ring around them. Typically, though, bananas don't glow very well.
When the vegetables that glow are cooked or coated with oil, especially olive oil, they will glow more brightly than they would otherwise. If you are thinking of fixing some of these foods, frying them in olive oil or steaming them and using a light olive oil seasoning will help them glow more.
The glowing liquids can be used as garnishes or toppings for other foods. For example, serve pancakes with glowing yellow maple syrup.
Most people's teeth will glow in black light. The fluoride and other whiteners in toothpaste make teeth look extra white.
Black Light Reflective Foods
White foods won't necessarily glow, but they will be reflective under a black light and will appear brighter. It is similar to the way white clothes and white paper show up brightly under a black light.
Here are some suggestions:
- some cereals (ex. Rice Krispies)
Some of these white foods can be used as toppings or garnishes for dishes. If you sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the foods, the bits will be very bright. You can sprinkle powdered sugar on top of desserts for extra glowing effects as well.
By the way, serving food on a white plate will also enhance the bright white effect of black lights.
Glow in the Dark SaladClick thumbnail to view full-size
Tasty and Healthy Glowing Salad
- lettuce, freshly cut
- green bell peppers
- boiled eggs
- sliced oranges
- light colored tortilla strips
- olive oil, (or any other type of oil)
- Parmesan, grated
- any other ingredients you may want
Most of the foods that glow in the dark are great salad toppings. So the perfect glow in the dark party dish is a glowing salad.
Salads are tasty and super healthy. Fruits and vegetables are great sources of natural energy so your guests will feel like partying all night.
Not only will the salad be health conscious, it will be fun conscious, too. Eating a salad that glows is definitely better than the blasé appetizer most people are used to.
Glow in the dark salad is a great way to get picky kids to eat salad. It is instantly cooler when it glows.
Serve the salad for the meal or as an appetizer before a main course. You can also set up a glowing salad bar or buffet and let guests pick their own glowing ingredients to pile on their plates.
Black Light Party Games
- Host a black light fashion show - Whose clothes look the coolest under the black light?
- Play glowing hot potato - Play hot potato with a glow in the dark ball.
- Pop glow in the dark bubbles - Get glowing bubbles or make some by mixing highlighter pen ink with bubble solution.
- Make a glowing Mentos fountain - Make an exploding glow in the dark geyser using Mentos and tonic water.
- Play black light Twister - Make your own board using a white sheet and glow in the dark paint.
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Add in the eggs. Allow the eggs to boil for 10-15 minutes. Remove the eggs from heat and drain the water.
- Chop the lettuce. The fresher the lettuce is when it is served, the more likely it is to have a red glow.
- Dice the green peppers and any other veggies you are adding.
- Slice the oranges and any other fruit you will be serving. If you slice it on the plate you will serve from, more of the juice will be on the plate and it will glow more.
- Pour olive oil (or any other oil) into a small bowl. Sprinkle in some grated Parmesan cheese. Mix it into the oil.
- Mix all of the salad ingredients. The fruit and eggs can be placed on top or around the edges.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, pour the oil and Parmesan onto the salad. Lightly toss the salad to mix the oil in.
- Sprinkle more Parmesan onto the top of the salad if you would like. It will reflect more of the black light.
- Turn on the black light and turn off the regular lights.
- Serve the glowing salad to your very amazed guests.
You can leave glowing orange trails around plates or the serving table just by rubbing freshly sliced oranges around strategic spots. Make sure to leave juice behind. When you turn on the black light, you will see the juice glow.
More Salad Suggestions
- You can add any fruits or vegetables you like in the salad. You could also add in nuts or chicken pieces or any other bits of protein to make the salad more substantial. The suggested salad components are simply fruits and vegetables that glow the best.
- Feel from to remove ingredients that you don't like as well. It is merely a suggestion based on what will look the best under a black light.
- Other salad dressings may have a faint glow with a black light depending on how much oil they have in them and what color they are. If you can't eat salad with just an oil dressing, add whatever dressing you want. Just be aware that it won't glow as well.
- The boiled eggs can be used to make deviled eggs if you would prefer. The yolk doesn't glow very well, but the egg whites do.
- Peeled eggs glow bright yellow and shelled eggs glow red/purple. If you can't decide which to serve, make an amazing glowing pattern by alternating shelled and peeled eggs on the plates.
- Serve pasta salad as a side dish. Make sure to use white noodles. Use olive oil to cook and season the pasta. It will be reflective under the black light and will compliment the glowing salad well. Sprinkling Parmesan on it will add to the glowing effect.
- Make glowing Jello. All you need to do is substitute tonic water for the regular water in the Jello recipe. I also suggest adding a bit of sugar. The tonic water can give the Jello a bit of a bitter taste. The sugar just covers that up. Use fun containers for the Jello or cut out shapes with a cookie cutter.
- Whip up cupcakes with glow in the dark frosting or icing. The process is pretty simple. You just make your cupcakes (or cake) and ice them like normal. Then you put them in the freezer to harden the icing. You will need to whip up a batch of tonic water Jello (uncongealed). Then you will dip the cupcake icing into the Jello to give it a glowing glaze. Check out the recipe at Food Snots for more details.
- Serve Rice Krispies Treats. Since marshmallows and the Rice Krispies are both white, the will stand out brightly in the black light. You can add other glowing things to them for decoration. Swirl honey or caramel on the top for glowing stripes. Powdered sugar or shredded coconut will also look neat on top.
- Mix a glowing milkshake. Make a glowing yellow milkshake with vanilla ice cream and milk. Pour caramel syrup on top for bonus glow power.
How will your party glow?
Don't forget the glowing party drinks!
- How to Make Drinks that Glow in the Dark
Here you will learn about liquids that glow in the dark and get some party drink recipe ideas. You can make a glowing milkshake, a black light tinted fruit drink, a bright energy mix, fluorescent Jello, and even mix up a prank glowing drink.